C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ideas on alternate stereo head unit locations please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Ideas on alternate stereo head unit locations please

I am thinking about running my Kenwood head unit and Pioneer amp in the storage bin behind the passenger seat. I have alternate plans for the factory Bose unit and I want the dash to remain with the factory appearance. I know I can run the wires from the main harness to that area no sweat. But I am concerned about heat build-up. Any ideas to share on this? Or any other locations you have to share/suggest?

Thanks for your time and thoughts, suggestions and opinions on this.

Later,

Lee
Old 10-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Heat would be my main worry too, maybe vent the cubby with a small 12v fan ? Depending on what features you want, there are several companies that sell "remote" radios. Secret audio is one, with just a small control panel showing. I have seen several Jeep guys put radios in their center consoles, maybe check out a Jeep forum for some info.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check into that. It's really just the heat I worry about. If the console was big enough I would have mounted everything in there. Alas, that's not the case.

Later,

Lee
Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious how the H/U would work in the storage bin? I guess if you just used it for the radio it would work but what happens if you want to change a CD or plug a phone or something into it? wouldnt that be a bit tricky while your driving? FWIW I mounted my Kenwood amp on the back wall of the rear compartment, so I didnt lose any space and it still runs cool, plus it looks pretty cool with its light glowing in the darkness back there at night
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Ricasso, I plan on having a wire for my iPod run from the head unit to the area where the (now useless) cup holder is on the console. That way my iPod is out but not in clear sight. I'll still use the CD player but only rarely. And I only use radio to listen to the Cincinnati Reds.

My amp is an old Pioneer 40 watt 7-way amp/eg (remember those?) that I've had for 21 years but never installed in any of my cars. I'm using what I have for my small budget. And I really don't need the system to thump loudly. Just enough to sound good for me.

Later,

Lee
Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KYC4
Ricasso, I plan on having a wire for my iPod run from the head unit to the area where the (now useless) cup holder is on the console. That way my iPod is out but not in clear sight. I'll still use the CD player but only rarely. And I only use radio to listen to the Cincinnati Reds.

My amp is an old Pioneer 40 watt 7-way amp/eg (remember those?) that I've had for 21 years but never installed in any of my cars. I'm using what I have for my small budget. And I really don't need the system to thump loudly. Just enough to sound good for me.

Later,

Lee
Ah! good job! sounds like you've got it worked out silly question time but I'm guessing you will be getting rid of the box, to increase the air space in there, how much heat would a 40W put out anyway, crazy idea but what if you inserted some close weave black mesh into the flap to let it breathe? you wouldnt need a fan then, just a thought
Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not an hi end stereo i know,this is just to play some disks...

Get notified of new replies

To Ideas on alternate stereo head unit locations please

Quick Reply: Ideas on alternate stereo head unit locations please