Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette C4 die cast/plastic model cars (possibly custom)?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM
audioexception
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C4 die cast/plastic model cars (possibly custom)?

Hi all,

We have a 1990 Corvette that we inherited when my father-in-law passed away. We're going to be selling it as soon as it gets warm here again for a variety of reasons. I'd like to get my husband a model of the car as a memento once the car itself is gone, but I haven't had any luck at all finding what I'm looking for. Our car is a Quasar Blue convertible with a black cloth top. Does anyone have any idea where I could find a model like this? I'm willing to get a cheaper one that I can assemble and paint myself, but I haven't been able to find that either. I'd also consider a custom job, but every place I've found has said that their models start at $500, which is significantly out of my price range.

This is my first post on the forums, so if there's a better place for me to post this, please let me know.

Thanks!

audioexception
Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to look for the AMT/Ertl 1990 Corvette kit. They offered it as a coupe and a 'vert. Look on Ebay and expect to pay $20-30. Any higher than that and you are being ripped off. This was an 'annual' kit and they pressed a bazillion of them.

https://www.google.com/#q=1990+Corvette+1%2F25+model

As for costs I build professionally for both museums and private collections. Most folks think of model building as sitting at the kitchen table with a tube of glue and some paint. Doing a quality job requires far more than that and the time invested is not cheap. For what it is I believe that $500 or more is on the higher side though.

Later,

Lee
Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

If you can find one they are fairly easy to repaint the only issue is the decals. Do a search on ebay or for 1/18 corvettes. Good luck I have done two so far. You may have to buy an 86-up Vert and a 90s coupe C4 and and swap some parts. They have guides on the net on how to take them apart. I have seen many 86 verts and 91 up verts. Also try here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...llectibles-69/

http://www.diecastbymail.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=cc80

Good Luck

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM
audioexception
5th Gear

Originally Posted by We Gone
If you can find one they are fairly easy to repaint the only issue is the decals. Do a search on ebay or for 1/18 corvettes. Good luck I have done two so far. You may have to buy an 86-up Vert and a 90s coupe C4 and and swap some parts. They have guides on the net on how to take them apart. I have seen many 86 verts and 91 up verts. Also try here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...llectibles-69/

http://www.diecastbymail.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=cc80

Good Luck

Thank you! Do you happen to know which paint color you used for the blue one? That looks about right.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by audioexception
Thank you! Do you happen to know which paint color you used for the blue one? That looks about right.

I was lucky and found them in the right colors (the blue is Quasar) You can go to an auto parts store or go on line and order the GM touch-up in a spray the correct color. GM color code is 80, WA-9944 was the same as 91

Just 1 source
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...1991/corvette/
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Corvette-Convertible-AMT-1-25-Scale-Plastic-Model-/111490166434?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item19f554eea2
Just need some paint and a few hours

Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

This is why I'm leaving my cars to someone who appreciates them. I don't want them to be "cashed in".
Old 10-24-2014, 01:17 PM
audioexception
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ch@0s
This is why I'm leaving my cars to someone who appreciates them. I don't want them to be "cashed in".
Wow, thanks for the unsolicited judgment. We've held on to the car for three years because of its sentimental value and have come to realize in that time that we don't have the time, money, or knowledge to maintain a car that can only be driven a few months out of the year where we live. It's been an extremely difficult and emotional decision for my husband. I'm glad his father wasn't the kind of person you appear to be.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:39 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by audioexception
Wow, thanks for the unsolicited judgment. We've held on to the car for three years because of its sentimental value and have come to realize in that time that we don't have the time, money, or knowledge to maintain a car that can only be driven a few months out of the year where we live. It's been an extremely difficult and emotional decision for my husband. I'm glad his father wasn't the kind of person you appear to be.
I apologize if that sounded harsh. I understand completely and I apologize for sounding like an azz.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong. My point is my cars mean a lot to me and its important to ME that the person that end up with them is capable of keeping them and maintaining them. My wife and I had this discussion not long ago. I chose to leave them to someone who can care for them and has the knowledge to do so.

If I leave them to my wife I know they will be sold and I would not blame her.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM
audioexception
5th Gear

I apologize if that sounded harsh. I understand completely and I apologize for sounding like an azz.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong. My point is my cars mean a lot to me and its important to ME that the person that end up with them is capable of keeping them and maintaining them. My wife and I had this discussion not long ago. I chose to leave them to someone who can care for them and has the knowledge to do so.

If I leave them to my wife I know they will be sold and I would not blame her.
Thank you, and I apologize as well. My husband is an only child, so everything went to him and it was quite overwhelming, and the money-hungry, horrible-person part of a lot of his family members came out at the time and we essentially lost a lot of family. I'm just overly defensive about it (and tone is so hard to convey through a forum like this).

That said, I totally understand where you're coming from. My dad is active on this forum and he has two Corvettes and two classic cars that are his babies, and they're going to my brother for that very reason (but hopefully not for a very long time)!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 95 Vette and a 96 Cobra, I also have two sons 25 and 39. The younger one loves Mustangs and the older one has a 2013 Camaro SS. They said that there sons will get them.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Back to the model. You don't have to be a professional to bring your idea to life. eBay is full of almost all years of Corvettes as JrRifleCoach pointed out. A little time and patience will pay off.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C4 die cast/plastic model cars (possibly custom)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette C4 die cast/plastic model cars (possibly custom)?