Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clear Coat wheel spray paint

Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Clear Coat wheel spray paint

Hi guys...anyone have a recommendation for a spray can clear coat? I have one wheel with some light corrosion around the outside area of the rim. I've been able to sand the damage, most of the corrosion was in the clear coat. Some battery acid splash on the rim when a battery boiled over. Would like to be able to touch up the damaged area.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I touched up some scratches on my rims useing this method and worked out well. You may use this as a guide,as you don't need to touch up the paint, but do the clear coat. Hope this helps some.....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...l+paint+repair
Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 AM
jph46
Racer

Thanks, this helps.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jph46
Hi guys...anyone have a recommendation for a spray can clear coat? I have one wheel with some light corrosion around the outside area of the rim. I've been able to sand the damage, most of the corrosion was in the clear coat. Some battery acid splash on the rim when a battery boiled over. Would like to be able to touch up the damaged area.
After wet sanding the ugly corrosion (most of which resulted from the lead weights that scratched and trapped road salt on the edge of the rim) and road rash off my son's 1999 Integra wheels I shot them with VHT Paints 11 Oz. Clear coat wheel paint (part number SP184). Four wheels took 2 cans. Bought the paint at Autozone for $6.99 per can. I went the extra mile and stripped the old clearcoat off the wheels with paint stripper (like you buy by the gallon at Lowes/Home Depot) before clearcoating them (and then re-balancing with tape on weights). That was in July of this year and they still look great.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 PM
jph46
Racer

Thanks I'll give that a shot! ��
Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Ensure you prep the area. If the prep is not done correctly, the paint will not stick.

The curing process is also critical, read the can for directions, I'd leave it alone for seven days.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Ensure you prep the area. If the prep is not done correctly, the paint will not stick.

The curing process is also critical, read the can for directions, I'd leave it alone for seven days.
I used Dupont Prep Sol solvent (3919S) on the wheels prior to clearcoating. Fortunately, I had what was left of a gallon laying around from the days I thought I could paint cars. It is still sold but is only available, I believe, in gallons. Perhaps you can check your local auto paint shop and get a little (take a small container with you). As for curing, I did not have much time between clearcoating the wheels, installing new tires and reinstalling them on the car (all done the same day). Fortunately, it did not have an adverse impact on the finish which still looks great.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Coat wheel spray paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Coat wheel spray paint