Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1

His car doesn't have an LT1.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i don't know if it's a "timeless machine".
saw one this am (red) taking my son to school, and it looked cool
and on Saturday when i was going to check out this modded '85 vette w/ the hot engine in it, on the way home i saw a white C4 going the opposite way on the interstate.
Honestly that has been the extent of how many C4s i've seen recently, just honestly don't see that many.
but i suppose you could say in the past 3 weeks or so, i think i've seen about 2 C3s on the road....seems everyone is driving them before the winter hits and they have to be stored!

as for the C4s...personally i think they need the updated tires, they look way better w/ the newer, bigger tires on them, w/ the original tires, they just look like old cars to me! but the shape is unlike anything else out there, that's for sure....
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sahhas
i don't know if it's a "timeless machine".
saw one this am (red) taking my son to school, and it looked cool
and on Saturday when i was going to check out this modded '85 vette w/ the hot engine in it, on the way home i saw a white C4 going the opposite way on the interstate.
Honestly that has been the extent of how many C4s i've seen recently, just honestly don't see that many.
but i suppose you could say in the past 3 weeks or so, i think i've seen about 2 C3s on the road....seems everyone is driving them before the winter hits and they have to be stored!

as for the C4s...personally i think they need the updated tires, they look way better w/ the newer, bigger tires on them, w/ the original tires, they just look like old cars to me! but the shape is unlike anything else out there, that's for sure....
There is no accounting for bad taste. And I think you missed the point as well.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm not sure if i'd call it a "timeless machine"...every car is stuck in it's time/context in some way/shape/form....my background is in the visual arts btw....but i think the C4 is a unique looking car, and like i said i don't honestly see a lot of them in my area (middle america, IA)

now if you want to compare the OP images of the red C4 vs. the challenger...um, the challenger is butt-ugly i think. my desire for that car is NIL. if you want to talk C4, my desire is much higher (hence why i'm here). if you want to talk modded C4s w/ bigger engines and bigger tires...i'm all in and the desire is high....btw...it appears that the original C4 on page 1 has some updated tires! which i approve of!!!!!

i'm not sure if the C4 will ever get unstuck from it's time--the battle to keep it alive, the battle to get some HP back in it, the battle of govt regulations of emissions, gas mileage, etc...i mean in that framework, it was battling a lot...but if you want to talk about timeless sports cars: ferraris/lamborghinis...maybe someday when many, many of the C4s are gone, it could enter that realm....

but i will say i think it is a "cool production sports car"...and my above statements were not meant as criticisms of the car, i happen to like them.... as some say it's probably the best affordable sports car out there....
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

i'm not sure if i'd call it a "timeless machine"...every car is stuck in it's time/context in some way/shape/form....my background is in the visual arts btw....but i think the C4 is a unique looking car, and like i said i don't honestly see a lot of them in my area (middle america, IA)
I'm still not sure why how many you see has any bearing on the conversation. I meant timeless and in still looks good compared to the rest. I see none in my area as a matter of fact when I have to drive across Houston to get something I play the corvette game. I count corvettes and how many wave back. I did that in my GTO sunday. I saw 2 C7s, 3 C6zs, 1 C6,and 1C5z. I didn't see a single C4. BTW none of them waved back but i was in My GTO.

now if you want to compare the OP images of the red C4 vs. the challenger...um, the challenger is butt-ugly i think. my desire for that car is NIL. if you want to talk C4, my desire is much higher (hence why i'm here). if you want to talk modded C4s w/ bigger engines and bigger tires...i'm all in and the desire is high....btw...it appears that the original C4 on page 1 has some updated tires! which i approve of!!!!!
Now you are talking about it! This is the point.

I am the OP. the tires on my car as you refer to them are wrapped around 17"s that's not bigger. C4s came with them. Mine are A-molds although not stock on my car they came on C4s as well. I thought you meant 20"s

The C4 in post 42 is mine it has a LSx making 400RWHP. So yes its been upgraded. There are a lot of modified cars on this site that would give any modern car a fit.

but i will say i think it is a "cool production sports car"...and my above statements were not meant as criticisms of the car, i happen to like them.... as some say it's probably the best affordable sports car out there....
Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I'm still not sure why how many you see has any bearing on the conversation. I meant timeless and in still looks good compared to the rest. I see none in my area as a matter of fact when I have to drive across Houston to get something I play the corvette game. I count corvettes and how many wave back. I did that in my GTO sunday. I saw 2 C7s, 3 C6zs, 1 C6,and 1C5z. I didn't see a single C4. BTW none of them waved back but i was in My GTO.

Now you are talking about it! This is the point.

I am the OP. the tires on my car as you refer to them are wrapped around 17"s that's not bigger. C4s came with them. Mine are A-molds although not stock on my car they came on C4s as well. I thought you meant 20"s

The C4 in post 42 is mine it has a LSx making 400RWHP. So yes its been upgraded. There are a lot of modified cars on this site that would give any modern car a fit.

It's probably a good thing there aren't any raised runner intakes for the LSX.
I want an LSX...but I want the retro look.

Last edited by MavsAK; 11-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:52 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MavsAK
It's probably a good thing there aren't any raised runner intakes for the LSX.
I want an LSX...but I want the retro look.
I might get one of these some day. LSX Holley high rise.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

***** damnit. You are a horrible influence on my wallet my friend... and my garage

Not quite there...but closer...
Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

OK... what intake is this?

Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Never seen it before, it looks a little shorter.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

That's what I thought. more balanced and compact looking for sure.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I like the Challagers, I would buy one for a daily but not to replace my C4.
I woud have to agree. After selling my LT4, I stumbled across a 2011 Camaro SS, Cyber Gray with a manual trans. I pulled the trigger on it. It's nice, powerful, well sorted design. But I agree that there is something missing compared to that LT4 C4, I miss it. But the SS is great for daily duties.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I woud have to agree. After selling my LT4, I stumbled across a 2011 Camaro SS, Cyber Gray with a manual trans. I pulled the trigger on it. It's nice, powerful, well sorted design. But I agree that there is something missing compared to that LT4 C4, I miss it. But the SS is great for daily duties.
Lets see it
Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N227GB
As far as retro design goes, the Challenger looks good in my eye, though they seem huge. For a real beauty and the beast, park a C4 next to the current Camaro!
I'm new to the C4's, still sorting mine out (issues will prompt several posts with calls for ideas/help, I'm sure), but I owned a '74 Challenger, factory ordered it myself, all the heavy duty, high performance options.

To date it was the best, fastest, most reliable car I've owned. And probably the second easiest to work on.

(not the best picture - pre digital photography and an a long ago scan)

Like many of us, it got sold when I got married - which, bless her heart, later on my wife regretted as much or more than I did (still have the same wife almost 40 years later).

I was seriously looking at the new Challengers when they started advertising them, but the prices kept going up and up and up as they got closer to delivery, so I changed my mind. I still think they are good looking, but seem a bit stretched vertically compared to my '74.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Actually, I think it starts w/crash standards.
Gotta raise the hood height to protect people who like to walk in front of moving cars.

Gotta raise the doors for side impact protection. Then, to maintain the lines of the car, somewhat, and keep visibility, up goes the roof, and then too, the rear of the car. Now the rear 1/4 panel is a HUGE SLAB, so you're pretty much forced into using a 18" wheel or larger, so the wheel doesn't look ridiculously tiny.

Keeping things to scale. add HUGE tail light fixtures, big headlights and grills...and you have a car of today...which ends up looking like an appliance, a caricature of a car from 20 years ago, or a combination of both.
I've a theory that if you gave a 10 year old kid a piece of paper and a pencil and told them to draw a fast car, they would more than likely outline a C4 or something very much like it!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ricasso
I've a theory that if you gave a 10 year old kid a piece of paper and a pencil and told them to draw a fast car, they would more than likely outline a C4 or something very much like it!
INteresting. I'd like to try that. I know when I was a kid, I'd have drawn something low, sleek....a sliver with wheels and windows. Not to far from what a C4 is. I've thought that today's kids might draw something like a WRX. Or a Mini Cooper or a Nissan Juke.

I'm curious about that now.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Timeless Machine

Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

INteresting. I'd like to try that. I know when I was a kid, I'd have drawn something low, sleek....a sliver with wheels and windows. Not to far from what a C4 is. I've thought that today's kids might draw something like a WRX. Or a Mini Cooper or a Nissan Juke.

I'm curious about that now.
When I was in Elementary, I would draw C5s in class. Serious
Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pyro 4117 - Your Challenger was far better looking than the current offering. The newer ones are better cars but they'll never look as good. In that vein, was there ever a prettier car than the 1969 Charger? Other than a C4 Corvette, I mean...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
Pyro 4117 - Your Challenger was far better looking than the current offering. The newer ones are better cars but they'll never look as good. In that vein, was there ever a prettier car than the 1969 Charger? Other than a C4 Corvette, I mean...
Thanks. I enjoyed the heck out of that car. It may not match the specs of the current cars, but it had a pretty decent top end. It had the 3.23 rear axle (I placed the order about a month before the speed limit was dropped to 55 ) which put me at about 1500 RPM in 4th. If I redlined it, I didn't make the shift from 3rd to 4th until about double the speed limit.

It might just be because that was the timeframe (high school) when I was just getting into cars, but IMO the late 60's were some of the best looking cars from almost all manufacturers. The Charger is definitely up there; love that era of the Barracudas, Camaros, Mustangs and of course Corvettes too...

The good old days

I love the looks of my C4, but it's still a little odd to me to open the hood (the wrong way...at least until I do it a few more times) and see the TPI intake instead of the old school round air cleaner housing, 4BBL & intake manifold of my younger days.

Just need to spend more time under the new hood, shift my metaphorical gears and drive the heck out of my new(er) school Vette! Besides, I don't want to get in trouble for spending too much time talking about my old Mopar on a Corvette site!

Quick Reply: C4 Timeless Machine