Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do you go long periods between driving your C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Default Do you go long periods between driving your C4?

Okay, nothing constructive to add with this post but just wanted to comment.

I got home last Sunday after working on the east coast for 3 months!

I hadn't driven the car for probably a month before I left so it had been really 4 months. While I was out there I got to drive a M6 C6 and really liked it (it had SLP Intake, Borla exhaust). Got me thinking of selling the CE when I got back and getting a C6 but it been so long since I had driven it I kind of forgotten what it was like.

Anyway, had a few free minutes yesterday so took it out for a quick blast. I have decided that this car is perfectly fine for my needs and no need to upgrade to a C6. Other than the shifter feeling like it came out of an 18 wheeler with its very wide pattern (The C6 is very nice with a tight pattern and very solid feel), the exhaust being a little quiet and the sucky seats. Going to get a Hurst or ZF Doc shifter which should fix that and either muff eliminator or Corsa exhaust for better noise.

I'm thinking I will take it a to a custom upholstery shop to see if they can modify the stock seats for more grip like the C6. I also drove my Uncle's Ruf (Porsche) while I was back there and it has incredible racing seats. I thought about going with aftermarket racing seats but want to maintain the power function.

Anyway, it's funny how fun the car feels after not driving it for so long. For those who don't DD their cars, do you get the same feeling when you do get to drive it?

Here are the Ruf and C6 seats:
Attached Images   

Last edited by ChiliPepperGarage; 10-30-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Crappy *** (no pun intended!) C4 stock "lard ***" seats.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

My old '93 had these seats which were waaaay better then the '96. I'd like to have my seats modified to be more like the '93.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Also thought I'd mention that the C6 really is a wonderful car, very smooth, fast and refined. BUT, I love the whine of the ZF trans in my C4 and the "rawness" of the car. It may not be as fast as the C6 but it feels fast and I don't race it or anything so I don't really care that it's not as fast.

I really only use it for occasional blasts on the back country / mountain roads and will be driving it to Phoenix over Thanksgiving for its first longer road trip.

And a funny note: after it was warmed up I romped on it a couple times from a stop and the gas pedal felt like it was loose or something and lost power a bit. It did it a couple times and I got thinking I'm going to have to figure out what wrong with the car, shouldn't have let it sit so long, what could be wrong, how much will it cost to fix. Then today I got thinking, traction control....duh! Got to remember to hit that button on the dash next time.

Last edited by ChiliPepperGarage; 10-30-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have both- I drive the C4 a little more. I had the 1st four gears in my ZF blueprinted during the rebuild so it does shift very well (even with the short shifter). I'm surprised you don't care for the 96 (blue label ZF) as those late years were better shifting boxes. on the C6, the transaxle is in the back and the shifter works via a rod and linkage- I think it feels vague, but the shift pattern is about right though.

As far as those optional sport seats, people want to trade for them all the time. You could easily swap for 90/91-93 seats, but I would first ask if you have adjusted the side bolsters? they are electric and there is a switch for that on your seat controls. I found those later sport seats very useable and certainly better than C6 units.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Wow, love the Ruf Porsches! Speaking of exhaust, I wonder how a Corsa would sound with cutouts.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mike100
I have both- I drive the C4 a little more. I had the 1st four gears in my ZF blueprinted during the rebuild so it does shift very well (even with the short shifter). I'm surprised you don't care for the 96 (blue label ZF) as those late years were better shifting boxes. on the C6, the transaxle is in the back and the shifter works via a rod and linkage- I think it feels vague, but the shift pattern is about right though.

As far as those optional sport seats, people want to trade for them all the time. You could easily swap for 90/91-93 seats, but I would first ask if you have adjusted the side bolsters? they are electric and there is a switch for that on your seat controls. I found those later sport seats very useable and certainly better than C6 units.
The car shifts just fine but just has a really wide pattern. Maybe because of the super tight Hurst I had in my C5 I have high expectations. Do you have the ZF Doc shifter in yous?

The seat backs are fine with the adjustable side bolsters. It is the seat bottom cushion that I don't care for. It is very flat and also hard. Maybe the cushion is worn out in it (car has 80K miles)?

My butt slides around too much even with the seatbelt cinch button used and lap belt pulled very tight. I even put the seat back a little then cinch the belt and move the seat forward to make it really tight.

My boney *** gets sore after a while too. I have a gel seat cushion I use and that feels way better. That's why I think it may be just worn out with not enough padding left but it also doesn't have any side bolster support like my '93 bottom cushion had.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM
dtana
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd love to hear about the Ruf Porsche............the car, not the seats.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Wow, love the Ruf Porsches! Speaking of exhaust, I wonder how a Corsa would sound with cutouts.
It is an incredible car! I got to drive it around back roads of Vermont on an 80 degree sunny weekend with the top down and peak foliage for scenery.

It is a 400HP normally aspirated car, light weight and extremely solid chassis. Very linear power band almost like a V8, with an exhaust note that is simply music to the ears. He also has a new turbo cabrio which is faster but I like the Ruf better. Just a joy to drive.

Interesting note: This is a Ruf, not a Porsche. Ruf buys the bodies and engines from Porsche then tears the engine apart and goes through them and then basically building a whole new car. Some Ruf's are titled as Porsches but this one is titled and registered as a Ruf.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ChiliPepperGarage; 10-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Default Seats

I put new leather and foam on my 94 stock seats. What a difference. My only problem now is bouncing my head off the targa top. Bought mine a year ago and use as a dd. Don't really understand why others don't drive them everyday. Just got anew job with a 40 mile commute. I just love flying up the highway. Old job was 2 miles away 14 mpg. Now I get 25 mpg. Pulled the bose two weeks ago and love listening to the corsa's. Gotta finish the stereo upgrade. Best car I ve ever owned!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have a C4 and a C6Z. The C4 seats are really hard.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
... Do you have the ZF Doc shifter in yours?
I bought the car with a Hurst so it's similar to what the shortened stock shifter would be like. Bill B. actually offered to trade me one of his shifters for my Hurst. Not sure why- not really because it is better, but maybe because he had a customer who wanted the Hurst cue ball **** look. I drove a car briefly with Bill's shifter- it was good (but also the trans was rebuilt by him).

I would probably go with that because the car is more stealth if you retain the factory leather ****.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I've only seen my car twice since July. It sits out in the back shop. I need my truck for work and have 2 kids so it never goes out to dinner or errands. Thought about selling it a few times but the kids will grow up one day and I'll get to drive it more.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:14 PM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. Every year from November to April...

Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

It's not unusual for me to be out of town for weeks at a time, driving rentals. I just had a Chrysler something that had three different round ***** on the center console. Radio, climate control... and transmission. It took me several minutes to figure out how to get cold air to blow out of the front vents.

I loving climbing back into my C4 when I get home because everything is right where it should be and the visibility all around is excellent.

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Interesting note: This is a Ruf, not a Porsche. Ruf buys the bodies and engines from Porsche then tears the engine apart and goes through them and then basically building a whole new car. Some Ruf's are titled as Porsches but this one is titled and registered as a Ruf.
I love how the tach is the most prominent gauge in the cluster.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:32 PM
dtana
Racer

Originally Posted by 2HIP4U
Yes. Every year from November to April...

The inconvenience of living in an area with obscenely inexpensive real estate huh?

Get notified of new replies

To Do you go long periods between driving your C4?

Quick Reply: Do you go long periods between driving your C4?