Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why did you buy a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Darkred88
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a new Corvette owner- I just bought mine on August 27. I had wanted one since before I got my drivers license in the mid 80s, and of course these cars were new then. I remember walking into the local Chevy dealership (where I now work) back in 1988 and just drooling over the new black coupe that was in the showroom. The salesman who I talked to knew I was just a young kid who couldn't afford it by any means, but he was nice anyway told me to get in the car. He got in on the passenger side and showed me all of the cool features of the car. I turned the key and that digital dash lit up and I turned on the Bose stereo and I was just blown away with the car all the way around- and this was without even driving it! I lusted after the C4s ever since, and this summer a dark red metallic 1988 coupe (the color Ive always wanted!) was traded in on a new Sting Ray at our sister dealership. I inquired about it and found out that it only had 40000 miles and they made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. I still have to pinch myself that I finally own my dream C4!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 PM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one tonight, and it has been something I always wanted but never had the means to afford, I am not even sure I still can haha, but the price margin is another selling point that made me pull the trigger for sure. But it was also a great way for me to get into performance cars and have something iconic and cool.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It was the first car I worked on in 1981 when I was just launching my tool design career. We designed some of the fixtures that welded the underbody. I worked 64 hours a week, T&M for quite a long time. Many, many delays for many reasons that took the project past the 1983 model year.

I couldn't afford it new, but I fell in love with it and decided then and there that I would one day own one...bought an '87 in '97 (in hindsight, I should have bought an '88!) and have had a C4 since. None of the other years interest me...much

Baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkred88
I turned on the Bose stereo and I was just blown away with the car all the way around-
That was a very cool, easy to identify with, story. What did you think about the Bose stereo, specifically, when you turned it on back then?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I bought a C4 because of the handling, the driving position, and the styling. Yes I could have bought a C5 but I can't warm up to the styling or driving position. Besides the C4 is a lot easier to work on. It's the bridge between classic Corvettes and modern Corvettes. It sure doesn't hurt that it's one of the best sport car buys on the planet too.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 AM
greest_lightnin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I have a feeling a lot of people on this board bought a C4 because its all they could afford. Am i wrong?
You are correct...

My annual budget for the wife's birthday present(s) is somewhat limited...

Al
Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

There weren't C5's when I bought my car. I drove and thought hard about a 71 but I rather enjoyed the extras the C4 offered.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That was a very cool, easy to identify with, story. What did you think about the Bose stereo, specifically, when you turned it on back then?

Im hearing some cool stories here. Im glad I asked, I put my flame suit on first.

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
There weren't C5's when I bought my car. I drove and thought hard about a 71 but I rather enjoyed the extras the C4 offered.
Im sure you could have bought a C5 by now .
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

My first love is a 63 SWC, but the price was (then and even now) out of my league. Just me, but I never cared for the C3's looks, and certaiinly not the mid 70s performance #s .

In 2002 I looked and test drove a C5 on a dealer's lot. But, I just never warmed up to the looks nor the interior, compared to the std 95. So, the black beauty 95 was my first Vette.

But, all the while I drove the 95, what I really wanted was a ZR-1, but those I saw were priced out of my range. October of 07 that changed, and I traded my beautiful 95 for the Z and never looked back!

Even stock, the Z was a real eye opener, performance wise! Everything and more than what I'd read or been told ever since they were introduced. They were than and yet today, very unique to Corvettedom - having a special place in Corvette history.

In 2009 I noticed a "ticking sound" under load, which turned out to be the result of at least one weak injector and a lean condition in that cylinder; the ol' alcohol susceptibility issue. That opportunity lead to porting the top end, while I had it apart - gonna do it anyway - which resulted in 400 rwhp...WOW! And, everything being stock - that was quite a revelation!

At that level I was savoring killing all the stock C5s including the ZO6s, and std C6s. Only the mighty LS7 C6 ZO6 gave me pause. Then in 2011, after modeling the success of a couple local gurus, I ported and relieved the heads to put the icing on the cake: dynoing at 432 rwhp with stock cams and bottom end. Far as stock LS's went with exception (maybe) of the LS7s (and the LS9 ZR1, of course), I had no fears of them. That left handling up for grabs, but unless the C5-6 driver was good, they weren't any problem either.

NOT MANY std/stock Corvettes will give me pause in a straight line. However, I tip my hat to those with some reasonable mods: the new ones are pretty stout! But, then again there always will be somebody faster - just not may that come to the line sweetly (w/o large overlap!) Many get surprised by the smooth idle, but then get their ears pinned back when she goes to WOT, and stays there way past where many have to shift!

Would I rather have a new Vette? Yeah, I'd love to have a C6 Z06 ro ZR1. But, I have too much TLC in my ZR-1 that (at least now) I wouldn't trade for one. GS people understand the love for uniqueness!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
My first love is a 63 SWC, but the price was (then and even now) out of my league. Just me, but I never cared for the C3's looks, and certaiinly not the mid 70s performance #s .

In 2002 I looked and test drove a C5 on a dealer's lot. But, I just never warmed up to the looks nor the interior, compared to the std 95. So, the black beauty 95 was my first Vette.

But, all the while I drove the 95, what I really wanted was a ZR-1, but those I saw were priced out of my range. October of 07 that changed, and I traded my beautiful 95 for the Z and never looked back!

Even stock, the Z was a real eye opener, performance wise! Everything and more than what I'd read or been told ever since they were introduced. They were than and yet today, very unique to Corvettedom - having a special place in Corvette history.

In 2009 I noticed a "ticking sound" under load, which turned out to be the result of at least one weak injector and a lean condition in that cylinder; the ol' alcohol susceptibility issue. That opportunity lead to porting the top end, while I had it apart - gonna do it anyway - which resulted in 400 rwhp...WOW! And, everything being stock - that was quite a revelation!

At that level I was savoring killing all the stock C5s including the ZO6s, and std C6s. Only the mighty LS7 C6 ZO6 gave me pause. Then in 2011, after modeling the success of a couple local gurus, I ported and relieved the heads to put the icing on the cake: dynoing at 432 rwhp with stock cams and bottom end. Far as stock LS's went with exception (maybe) of the LS7s (and the LS9 ZR1, of course), I had no fears of them. That left handling up for grabs, but unless the C5-6 driver was good, they weren't any problem either.

NOT MANY std/stock Corvettes will give me pause in a straight line. However, I tip my hat to those with some reasonable mods: the new ones are pretty stout! But, then again there always will be somebody faster - just not may that come to the line sweetly (w/o large overlap!) Many get surprised by the smooth idle, but then get their ears pinned back when she goes to WOT, and stays there way past where many have to shift!

Would I rather have a new Vette? Yeah, I'd love to have a C6 Z06 ro ZR1. But, I have too much TLC in my ZR-1 that (at least now) I wouldn't trade for one. GS people understand the love for uniqueness!
The Zs are in a league of their own when it comes to the C4. I have never driven one but ..some day I will have one
Old 11-15-2014, 07:58 AM
mantle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91 red,have had it for 10 years,its perfect for me...its awesome
Old 11-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Because nobody else makes a ZR-1.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Grew tired of mustangs after I test drove a modified 1988 vert in 1997 and then drove home in my modified GT that felt like regular old car.

Then I sold one a coupe vette to get this pologreen1 for a project. Just went to sell it and now liking it again, ready for bigger motor and trans etc.

Nothing like a C4 to me. IMO too many old guys took away the super car feel by asking for the C5 interior etc.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:39 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I have wanted a c4 since I saw the first 84 on the Chevrolet dealer showroom I do like the c5 as well and the c6 is starting to grow on me, I don't know if I could give up my c4 to upgrade to a c5 or c6 also all my vehicles or in excellent shape and paid for it's been nice having 0 debt except for my mortgage.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I cant say why I bought my C4 I am not sure myself
However I can say that it is IMO a funner car then the 08 Impala I got rid of for it.

If you could would you buy a Corvette as old as you are?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I grew up loving the '96 GS. That's the car that really got me into Vettes. My first Corvette ride was in my neighbor's '85.

I'm glad I waited to find mine in admiral blue, because I still love the Grand Sport.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
I grew up loving the '96 GS. That's the car that really got me into Vettes. My first Corvette ride was in my neighbor's '85.

I'm glad I waited to find mine in admiral blue, because I still love the Grand Sport.
I'll be looking to trade/sell my car for an admiral blue C4 this spring. Love the color. It will be my GS on a budget

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 11-16-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why did you buy a C4?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I have a feeling a lot of people on this board bought a C4 because its all they could afford. Am I wrong?
In our case, you are: we bought the 50th Anniversary 'vert first. All kinds of paths to C4 ownership ...

Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Because I love my wife and she told me to. Seriously.

On the test drive, I couldn't believe how "civilized" (read "emasculated") a 96 LT4 was compared to my long lost 61 fuelie. My only comment "nothing wrong with this car that an extra 100 horsepower wouldn't fix".

Oh, while it wasn't the car I wanted, it was the car I could afford. C5s do nothing for me...but I woulda liked a c6.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Because I love my wife and she told me to. Seriously.

On the test drive, I couldn't believe how "civilized" (read "emasculated") a 96 LT4 was compared to my long lost 61 fuelie. My only comment "nothing wrong with this car that an extra 100 horsepower wouldn't fix".

Oh, while it wasn't the car I wanted, it was the car I could afford. C5s do nothing for me...but I woulda liked a c6.
Unless that fuelie was seriously modded, your 96 LT4 would walk the dog on that poor fuelie. Unless your LT4 is seriously wounded.
Louder exhaust and poor gripping tires does wonders for perception of speed

Last edited by MavsAK; 11-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a C4?