C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Aftermarket intake manifold for Crossfire Injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket intake manifold for Crossfire Injection

Hey guys, I see a lot of you on here who like to moan and complain about there not being any true way to increase horsepower simply on the crossfire injection, and its pretty annoying. I know X-ram went out of business some time ago and there went those intake manifolds with the larger ports, but get this, Eddie Motorsports is producing the large port intake manifolds again, named the "renegade." Even better, it was tested on a 383. I'm not sure what difference it'll do for the stock 350, but it gives hope to those who don't have a lot in their piggy bank and aren't too savvy with fuel to air ratios and tuning. Here is a link to the part which is $550 too. http://www.eddiemotorsports.com/prod...old-msren-100/

What are your thoughts on this? I mean, this is the only modification I've found for crossfire injections.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaackrammes
Hey guys, I see a lot of you on here who like to moan and complain about there not being any true way to increase horsepower simply on the crossfire injection, and its pretty annoying.
Untrue, the stock CrossFire Intake manifold can be ported and their are a few members here that have gotten into the 12's in the quarter mile with a modded out crossfire engine!

That Renegade intake manifold, has been around for a few years with varying opinions from users...
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by GKK
Untrue, the stock CrossFire Intake manifold can be ported and their are a few members here that have gotten into the 12's in the quarter mile with a modded out crossfire engine!

That Renegade intake manifold, has been around for a few years with varying opinions from users...
I'd love to hear their opinions. It's just every time I asked for info, everyone whined saying it's better to convert to carb or drop the crossfire design, stating its flawed with the severely choked ports... For some reason I'm a firm believer in keeping the crossfire injection system since I synced mine perfectly. I just want to modify everything else. Such as the intake and motor. But I'm getting off topic. I'm looking forward to purchasing the intake and mounting it.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by GKK

[Sarcasm] Yup... a member 12 inch is a Renegade authority.[/Sarcasm]
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

everyone whined saying it's better to convert to carb or drop the crossfire design,
Everyone? I highly doubt that is what "everyone" said.

Sniff...sniff...sniff...I think I smell....snif....

Renegade is great. Porting a stocker can be great. Can you actually get a Renegade? Go ahead and order one and let us know.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Invest that $550 into Long Tube headers and Port out the stock CFI intake manifold and your engine will really wake up!...
Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Do a search here for Renegade Manifold. There has been extensive posts on these over the years. Kind of like finding a unicorn though.
This guy in the Chicago burbs does a beautiful job of rebuilding the Crossfire system: Dan's Carburetor Service 630-408-2743. I met him at Blommington Gold a few years ago.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

seen one pop up here and there on the forum but not often

Honestly for $550 that is a steal of an upgrade imo.

Aftermarket TPI base is probably close to that by the time it hits your door
Mini is outrageous
Converted LTx can add up but easily crest $500 with little stuff.
Porting itself is super expensive.

Maybe some complain as they cant get or cant afford one I dont know.
Power costs money.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

It Is expensive to swap to carb or port tune in my opinion, and this aftermarket intake is anything but complicated. I read over the installation procedure and it's pretty detailed and layed out Barney style. Fits all 82-84 corvettes, camaros, and trams ams crossfire injections. And will fit under all stock hoods properly. No tuning needed either. I can't complain. And like one of you said, it's like finding a unicorn on here. I don't know why people won't invest in this system? I mean, to me it's a simple design. Low fuel pressure in pretty much computer controlled carbs. (Metaphorically). Synchronizing them is the only issue, and working around the goofy air intake breather box. But other than that the design is simple. I'd love for someone to explain to me why this crossfire injection is a poor design? Not being rude or arrogant, I just honestly don't see too much flaw minus the pressure issues I have with my injectors (both are due for a change our since I lose fuel pressure over night each day and the culprits are the the injectors since they pee slightly during idle and regular driving) I can feel the load of excessive gasoline resting before its compressed. That whomp whomp whomp at around 35mph. Sucks...
Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

The Air intake design ( maybe that's the biggest flaw in my eyes)
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Sell the 84, and buy a 1996.

Right there you'll have 70-100 extra horses.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by PLRX
Sell the 84, and buy a 1996.

Right there you'll have 70-100 extra horses.
If only I could afford to right now. Lol, my 84 is my daily driver. And believe me, I've looked into newer vettes. But mine has grown on me. I'll keep it up and running like it should until the day comes where I get a newer one. Or until that new bronco comes out. Lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The Air intake design ( maybe that's the biggest flaw in my eyes)
Time warp - it WAS the hottest thing - back in the day; 30 years ago.

Just sayin'
Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Time warp - it WAS the hottest thing - back in the day; 30 years ago.

Just sayin'
Valid point, and to add, if I remove it, I remove what sets that specific corvette apart from any other corvette year. '84 is the only year with that intake design and body style. '85 is port tune and '82 is the C-3 with the 70s look. Don't get me started on '83... They are lost in space somewhere on Mars.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Have you been to Bowling Green?
Note the text on the blue background panel...

Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Isaackrammes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Have you been to Bowling Green?
Note the text on the blue background panel...

I know all about the '83 that's there thanks. I was making a joke, haha
Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Sniff...sniff...sniff...I think I smell....snif....
me too

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Porting a stocker can be great. Can you actually get a Renegade? Go ahead and order one and let us know.
Two experts I trust ported the Xfire with great result.

All I've ever seen all these years, on two forums, about the Renegade was hype; no numbers; no data.

$550 ain't cheap if it don't work!

I have a Xfire stored for future use and plan to port it or have an expert do it.

I was told by one of the above that his '84 will run with other C4s up to '88, is probably limited to 300 HP, but the stock chip/ECM needs no alteration, PLUS it passed Ca SMOG, with colors!

This fellow is unlike many who prefer to crow about mods' promise over actual result; the same guy (longtime Corvette owner/collector/shop owner) who steered me clear of a number of hyped "improvements". Must be why my car works and actually surprises all who have witnessed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket intake manifold for Crossfire Injection

Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone maybe able to correct me if i am wrong but just porting the intake is almost vain unless you change the fuel pump on and 84 to and 85, inlarge the TBs and change the FP regulator. My 84 was set up old school with the Xram by previous owner who was at that time ( Over 10years ago) was working with the guys on the Crossfire injection vault. The advised given him was to make these changes not just on the intake but also on the fuel pump, inlarge the TBs and change FP regulator but also to dump the stock computer. The 8746 computer allows more and better programing for quicker response. My car runs and 8746 ECM from a 90s Camaro I am told. The Xram provides good power but unless you make changes in your ECM and increase fuel flow and exhaust flow porting the intake may not be all its cranked up to be. The 84's biggest problem as i understand it is fuel and air. If you increase BOTH you will get more out of your crossfire.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Someone maybe able to correct me if i am wrong but just porting the intake is almost vain unless you change the fuel pump on and 84 to and 85, inlarge the TBs and change the FP regulator.
Correction....you're wrong. FULLY porting the stock CFI intake (or swapping it) is the single biggest mod you can do to that motor (NA).
Only need to change the fuel pump if the stock one is failing to meet the requirements. The stock pump CAN meet the requirements of a fully ported intake (or something else, like the Renegade), but it's also a poor design, hence you see a lot of "I upgraded my pump and car ran better/faster etc". In those cases, the pump was worn out.
Boring the TB's on a stock motor yields nothing measurable. Stock TB's are more than large enough fro a stock or stockish motor.
FP regulator works great and is easily modified to be adjustable...no need to change it.

Originally Posted by ps374
The advised given him was to make these changes not just on the intake but also on the fuel pump, inlarge the TBs and change FP regulator but also to dump the stock computer.
If the fuel pump was failing, that was good advice, but if it was still working well, it was wasted money. What power does you car produce? Dyno results? Track results? That car could haver realized 99% of the gains it got w/o bored TB's, FPR, ECM, and fuel pump.

You are right; you do need to feed the CFI more fuel and air (like any engine). In most cases, and at the level of an intake swap, you can accomplish that w/the intake mod (port or swap) and increasing fuel pressure (feed it what it wants).

TO THE OP: What are you after here? It seems like you're already convinced that CFI/Renegade is the way to go. *I* am not going to try to change your mind nor would I want to. You'll get negative input from thous who have no experience w/CFI, so I'm not sure what this thread is about...other than to be a shill for the Renegade, which you seem to be doing a good job at. Please clarify if I've misunderstood.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 12-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I smell a Rat

Quick Reply: Aftermarket intake manifold for Crossfire Injection