Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette Mods HID Light Instruction Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

So I last drove my car over Thanksgiving weekend. I was getting high and low beam on driver side but high beam only on passenger side. Also had the high beam indicator light on when just parking / fog lights were on.

Corvette Mods said to check wiring as the high beam/low beam wire may have a bad connection. Been busy so didn't have time to mess with it until today.

This is mildly a pain in the butt because you have to use the manual **** to rotate the headlights back and forth a few times to get the cover off and access to the back of the light assembly. Anyway, checked the wires and they all seamed to be fine. Thinking it may be a bad headlight I decided to swap side to see if the problem followed the headlight or the wiring.

Pulled the driver side apart then pulled apart passenger side ans swapped lights. Driver side went together fine but when doing passenger side noticed one of the wires on the small two wire connector was partially pulled out of the connector housing. Made sure the connector was seated well and then pushed the loose wire in as far as possible. Tested it and Voila! High beam and low beam as intended.

So when doing this mod, make sure all your connections are solid when putting it together. I can now drive at night again!

Here's the culprit:
Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Glad you found the fix
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 PM
LNO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
And lastly, where does this go?
Did you find out what the gold colored resistor was for and if so how it was installed?
Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LNO
Did you find out what the gold colored resistor was for and if so how it was installed?
Thanks
Yes. It is a decorative piece that I wear around my neck to let everyone know I have a Corvette with HID lights.

No, seriously, it is used on some models but I didn't need it for mine. I forget what it is really for though, a resistor I think?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The HID kit is sort of universal and it has extra parts that are not needed on our cars. Mine has a small blue bulb in the bottom part of the housing with the wires clipped off. I think the resistor might be for applications that have LED turn signals or something like that where they need some resistance to fool the flasher into thinking there are bulbs out there.

[ EDiT ] In another thread people had problems with their fog lights because they are grounded through the high beam filaments of the headlights (depends on the year). The solution is to put a resistor or bulb across the headlight connection to ground the fog lights. [ /EDIT ]

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 04-19-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added fog light note.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
LNO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The HID kit is sort of universal and it has extra parts that are not needed on our cars. Mine has a small blue bulb in the bottom part of the housing with the wires clipped off. I think the resistor might be for applications that have LED turn signals or something like that where they need some resistance to fool the flasher into thinking there are bulbs out there.
The universal kit sounds reasonable. Did some research last night and it looks like the C5's need the resistor to correct a headlight retraction issue.
Since the C4 doesn't need it, I'll just throw it into the spare parts bin.
Thanks for both responses guys
Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Quick Reply: Corvette Mods HID Light Instruction Help