Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Keep it or enjoy it and move on when the laugh factor is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 PM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it or enjoy it and move on when the laugh factor is gone?

Recently picked up a 95 polo green C4 6 speed with 71k fo $7150. I have noticed over the last few weeks of scrutinizing it pretty hard that I have found some flaws that may or may not be deal breakers, so here I am asking for some feedback. The car is a solid driver and looker, but not a show winner. I think it shows its 20 years of age very well, nobody has said anything negative that has seen it and about 15 guys a the Chevy dealer where my brother works and several of my friends and family all gave it the thumbs up. There areas which need attention are as followed...

-Tires
-Fuel line started leaking (easy fix,time comsuming)
-Complete weather stripping
-Transmission shifts great (sometimes grinds a little when going into first at 3-5 mph rolling, clutch all the way in)
-seat cushions split on both sides
-missing center dash vent cover ($8 part)
-Carpet is worn where your foot moves on the brake and clutch pedals (floormats cover it)
-Paint has some small blisters where cover layed on car for a long period of time (only visible if I showed you)
-Was repainted at some point, but looks like someone took their time, no visible tape lines, weird over spray etc.
-Some scratches that may be buffed out, some that wont,chipping in the door jambs and on the rockers (where all the dirt and rocks fling up)

that's the not good

the good is...

-Drives great
-Runs like a champ!
-Best car I have found in my tri state area for sale in my budget
-Everything seems to work as normal (electronics, etc.)
-has magnaflow axle back (gives a little rumble)
-Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it

I think one of the best things I have read on here was someone who was complaining like me and someone said "stop looking at it with a magnifying glass and drive the damn thing and enjoy it!"

I don't think I will keep it forever based on the cost of repainting it in the long run, but for now its a great driver car, and a great first entry level sports car for my age and budget.

So does it sound like I should dump a little more money and get it "nicer" or just leave it as is fix the weather stripping,tires, and fuel line and enjoy it until I find something else better?

Last edited by 1stvetteguy; 11-24-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it depends more on you than anything else. Anyone, even a Corvette enthusiast, would probably not see any of these things from 5-10 feet away. And if anyone is close enough to be looking at it from a foot away, they're trying to find some defect to make them feel better about THEIR car.

Sounds like you got a great deal, Polo green is one of my favorite colors on a Vette, and it makes you happy. What more can there be?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Keep it and drive it! You got a good deal. Do the following and put a set of these seat covers on -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-CORVETTE-C4-1994-1996-S-LEATHER-CUSTOM-SEAT-COVER-/130461858008?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6021f8d8
Best deal and have great ratings.

Change all the fluids - oil, coolant, brake, clutch.
Replace dash vent.
Fix weatherstrip.
Fix leaking fuel line.
Polish and wax it.
Drive the heck out of it.
When the smile is gone - sell it to someone who will enjoy it like you did.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

If driving the car gives you a smile, fix it and enjoy the satisfaction that you did it yourself. Then enjoy a bigger smile.

If you don't want to spend any money on her sell her to someone who will enjoy it and take care of it, Maintenance will be needed on any car be it a a couple years old or almost 20 years old.

If you neglect things small lists will pile up and become a big list.

Do not treat a corvette as a throw away thing, that you run into the ground.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Keep it and drive it! You got a good deal. Do the following and put a set of these seat covers on -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-CORVETTE-C4-1994-1996-S-LEATHER-CUSTOM-SEAT-COVER-/130461858008?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6021f8d8
Best deal and have great ratings.

Change all the fluids - oil, coolant, brake, clutch.
Replace dash vent.
Fix weatherstrip.
Fix leaking fuel line.
Polish and wax it.
Drive the heck out of it.
When the smile is gone - sell it to someone who will enjoy it like you did.

^^^ this!!
dont overthink bud.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:03 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I promise you that you have the absolute best performance car out there for $7,000.

You have a near bullet proof transmission hooked up to a Dana 44 rear end, again near bullet proof with 3:45 rear end gears. The LT1 motor is a strong performer and with a few modifications is easily a high 12sec car.

It's worth putting a little money and effort into. The fun factor of these cars is absolutely amazing. Give it some time, you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! We're expecting a big snow here tonight in the East, so I am trying to figure out how to cover her up, the damn "fitted" MAWorks cover keeps blowing off even after tying a rope and a weight to the front!Any quick suggestions?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 AM
drsfmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a great deal on a fantastic looking car and you're complaining that it needs some weatherstripping, tires (a wear item) and a piece of trim?

You aren't going to get a show car for non-show car prices, and 20 year old cars invariably need some work and some new parts...
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by gerardvg
If driving the car gives you a smile, fix it and enjoy the satisfaction that you did it yourself. Then enjoy a bigger smile.

If you don't want to spend any money on her sell her to someone who will enjoy it and take care of it, Maintenance will be needed on any car be it a a couple years old or almost 20 years old.

If you neglect things small lists will pile up and become a big list.

Do not treat a corvette as a throw away thing, that you run into the ground.

Anything worth keeping intact...

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 11-25-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

"Drives great - runs like a champ"
I think you answered your own question. I believe all of these C4s will have some needs if you want to drive them. You got the car at a great price and I don't think you should expect not to have "a list" of some items that need attention. It sounds like you can start enjoying this car right now if it doesn't snow.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think you scored a very good deal (and the best evar paint color for a C4 ) given what you have described

I'm not a big fan of outside car covers especially if there will be wind with the snowfall. With some light weight on the cover from snow and some wind, the cover may even create more scratches. It may be easier to just let the car sit.

And if the tires are not the best in terms of tread depth remaining, it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it in the snow anyway. The level of traction will not be good.

C4's get cooling air for the engine from under the center of the car; there is an airdam that forces air upwards into the large area that's open to the A/C condenser and radiator. Driving around where there is any significant snowfall (6" or more) can easily plug that opening or reduce airflow to the point where you can get overheating.

Concentrate on the maintenance stuff, especially the fuel line. The rest can come later. Unfortunately, some of the other things will eat into your budget. Weatherstripping can be expensive, same with carpeting and the seat repair. I would just enjoy the car now and work on the rest later when the weather will be better.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok, I admit I was expecting a different type of post when you said 'Laugh Factor' vs the smile it puts on your face.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep it or enjoy it and move on when the laugh factor is gone?

Quick Reply: Keep it or enjoy it and move on when the laugh factor is gone?