C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Questions for a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Viper588
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions for a new owner

Hey all i was given, that right GIVEN =), a 1992 Corvette with 54,832 miles. There are some minor issues and some i was able to find in the forums and stickies but some i have not been able to find any information on. i have worked on many cars for many years but always import 4 cylinders. So ive been able to find info about the amp for the passenger side speakers making a squealing noise, and the digital dash flickering on and off until it finally just stayed off. What i need some help on is the drivers side window will go down maybe like 1/2 an inch and then just stop, i plan to take off the door panel and take a look but since its rather cold out if someone had an idea of what exactly to look at/for any saved time int he cold would be appreciated and the other issue it what i think is the overdrive. The car shifts well and smooth until 4th, as soon as it shifts into 4th there a shaking shuttering and if i use drive without overdrive its not there. From some searching it looks like it may be a solenoid or a pressure switch but im not really too sure and have zero experience with automatic trans. Also With what i am assuming is the overdrive issue, would driving without using the overdrive be fine or would you recommend to just not use the car at the moment? Thank you for any information in advance!!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Viper588
Hey all i was given, that right GIVEN =), a 1992 Corvette with 54,832 miles.
Congratulations. Christmas came early, huh?

Regarding the window, can you raise the window back up after it had been lowered 1/2"? The common problems are bad switches or bad motors. It the motor lowers it a half inch and can raise it again, it doesn't sound like there's a switch or motor issue ...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Viper588
Advanced

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Congratulations. Christmas came early, huh?

Regarding the window, can you raise the window back up after it had been lowered 1/2"? The common problems are bad switches or bad motors. It the motor lowers it a half inch and can raise it again, it doesn't sound like there's a switch or motor issue ...
haha yeah my ex girlfriends dad has been tryign to give it to me for a little over a year now, and he finally convinced me to take it =P The window will go up and down using the window switch so i dont think its either the motor or the switch.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

haha yeah my ex girlfriends dad has been tryign to give it to me for a little over a year now, and he finally convinced me to take it =P The window will go up and down using the window switch so i dont think its either the motor or the switch.
You know that means if you guys break up you gotta give the car back right? Haha.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
You know that means if you guys break up you gotta give the car back right? Haha.
He said (ex) girlfriend. Sounds to me like the girls dad is either glad to have you gone or he needed a tax deduction and he knew it would cost more to repair the car than the tax incentive he could received to gift it to you. You need a transmission and window regulator.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Viper588
Advanced

Originally Posted by l98tpi
He said (ex) girlfriend. Sounds to me like the girls dad is either glad to have you gone or he needed a tax deduction and he knew it would cost more to repair the car than the tax incentive he could received to gift it to you. You need a transmission and window regulator.
Haha nah her parents loved me and still invite me over for dinner or to go out and eat and stuff while their daughter is still away! He let me take his new Chrysler 300 out last week which i dont really like but with the hemi with 368HP that thing moves and was fun to drive lol. i figured it was an issue with the regulator but was hoping i wouldn't need to replace the whole thing =(. I was also worried about the trans, and again i know nothing about them, but most thing i find about it said to 1. change fluid and filter 2. disconnect the 4 prong plug on the driver side to see if that stop the issue and if those dont help then i would need a torque converter. I was hoping they were right and that i would not be in need of tranny work =P
Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

My 94 had the same issue with the driver's window and I pulled the switch completely apart and cleaned the carbon buildup off of the contacts and that fixed it.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Viper588
Advanced

Originally Posted by Polo Vert
My 94 had the same issue with the driver's window and I pulled the switch completely apart and cleaned the carbon buildup off of the contacts and that fixed it.
hmmm maybe ill try that and see since that pretty simple to do, any chance i can just switch the passenger side switch to drivers side to test it out?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:57 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

hmmm maybe ill try that and see since that pretty simple to do, any chance i can just switch the passenger side switch to drivers side to test it out?
Assuming the 92 is the same as my 95, the passenger switch only controls the passenger window whereas the drivers switch controls both. So, technically, no you can't swap. However, if you have a wiring diagram, you should be able to remove the connector from the driver's switch and CAREFULLY jumper the driver's window connector to the passenger window connector on the same switch. If the window operates correctly, you know it is a bad switch.

Now with that said, one of your first purchases should be a Factory Service Manual. You can find them on ebay and occasionally here for around $50.

Good luck, congrats on the ex-girlfriend- I mean car and welcome to the club.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:54 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I actually ended up doing the cleaning to both sides but since the driver's side gets much more use it was giving me more problems. Taking it apart isn't too bad. I used one of those tiny screwdriver sets you get for a couple bucks and was very careful. New drivers side switches are few and far between and pricey if you do find one. Just take your time and be careful with it.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:03 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

welcome to the forum and corvettes. Your gonna love pulling that tranny.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Viper588
Advanced

Update: so i pulled the door panel and took a look, i didnt notice anything cause the issue but i was able to get the window to go up and down. The window is going down uneven and will get stuck about half way now ill push it a little towards the front of the car and it will drop the rest. On the way ip it goes about half way pauses then goes 3/4 pauses then goes the rest. The motor seems to be ok cause ot doesnt really struggle or slow down. It does looklike the motor was replaced at somepoint cause it looks like they cut away at the bottom of the door in the shape of the window motor lol.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 AM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do some research on torque converters for the tranny, sounds like that might be what it is.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

congrats and welcome!!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Update: so i pulled the door panel and took a look, i didnt notice anything cause the issue but i was able to get the window to go up and down. The window is going down uneven and will get stuck about half way now ill push it a little towards the front of the car and it will drop the rest. On the way ip it goes about half way pauses then goes 3/4 pauses then goes the rest. The motor seems to be ok cause ot doesnt really struggle or slow down. It does looklike the motor was replaced at somepoint cause it looks like they cut away at the bottom of the door in the shape of the window motor lol.
Sounds like you may have a broken window guide. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...indow-fix.html
Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 AM
Viper588
Advanced

So I was able to take the digital cluster out and repair the bad connection and my speedometer works great again, i plan on looking at the window guide and possibly trying to diagnose the trans issue tomorrow. Thank you for all the suggestions and information!! I do have another question, the targa top i have is a lexan piece. Was this an upgrade? Would the car have come with the original top and this purcahsed later? My exs father purchased the car new so im not sure if he has it somewhere in storage and forgot about it but im not a huge fan of the lexan top. Thanks again for all the help thus far!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Questions for a new owner

Quick Reply: Questions for a new owner