C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Repair or go with Iggee?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:56 AM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or go with Iggee?

My seats show their age for sure like most of them do, except mine are split at the seams on driver and passenger side bottom cushions where you sit. I called a local upholstery shop and I am not even going to tell you the crazy number they quoted me per seat, but also said they couldn't guarantee the longevity because they often split right apart again due to the dryness and quality of the leather GM used.Anyone have experience with seam repair in this area?

I am trying to keep the car as original as possible, and would most likely if I was able to somehow repair the seats I would also do a nice re- dye on them with one of the English kits I saw someone use on here, that turned out amazing. Recovering them in new leather covers and foam is not going to be an option in the budget ever.

My other option is to get the Iggee covers I saw on here that are far less expensive and everyone seems to be happy, I have never been a huge fan of seat covers as I never think they look right, and you can tell its a cover (sort of cheapens the interior). I haven't been able to find any real good pics of someone with black covers that really do them justice.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

You can buy new seat leather mounted on foam from all of the major vendors - MidAmerica Motorworks, etc. for around $900 to $1000 IIRC or contact Al Knoch who is supposed to be higher quality.

You can look for used on a part-out - check with See4Parts, etc. in the parts for sale section.

You can look for a cheaper upholstery place.

Or you can go with Igee. Or neoprene covers.

Thems the choices.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

There was an outfit on EBay recently offering leather-like seat covers on foam for under $500 a set. The leather-like vinyl sets are well reviewed and look stock.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Why don't you also consider the "driver black leather" set offered by Corvette America?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a pretty lengthy discussion about that a couple weeks ago here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-covers.html
Old 11-28-2014, 11:25 AM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I may be able to scrape and save for the fleBay leather like covers on foam, that seams like a very reasonable price for a solution. They look exactly like my seats but says they are only for 90-93. Hopefully they look as good in the car as they do on the web.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Occasionally someone will put up a set of original seats and/or seat covers in the "C4 Parts for sale" section that are in very good condition. It took me a while, but I finally found a set for a good price. You may even put up a WTB post there and see what you come up with.

Last edited by csthews; 11-28-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:16 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Given a choice between repair or Iggee seat covers,...I would go with the repair.

I don't like the look of the Iggee seat covers. They look OK but, they still look like seat covers to me?...

No, offense to anyone that has them...
Old 11-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
You can buy new seat leather mounted on foam from all of the major vendors - MidAmerica Motorworks, etc. for around $900 to $1000 IIRC or contact Al Knoch who is supposed to be higher quality.
FWIW, A few years ago I spent $1K for new leather seats from one of these vendors [I won't say which one].
Everything is good except for the driver's side bolster, it's wearing and looks like its a 100 years old.
I really expected a better quality leather.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair or go with Iggee?

Quick Reply: Repair or go with Iggee?