C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever have one of those days? Opti install

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ever have one of those days? Opti install

So I needed to replace the opti on my 95, I did all the reading on what to do and ordered all of the parts. Everything came apart real easy and smooth, when I got the opti off I noticed a small oil leak from the seal on the timing chain cover around the opti. I decided to replace the seal and went down to the parts store, funny they only had the seal in an entire timing cover set, clue number one that I missed. When I get home I try to get the old seal out, after it is damaged beyond repair I decide I guess I have to pull the cover out to press the old seal out and get a new one in. Then I start reading the site to figure out how to get the crankshaft housing off, clue number 2 that I have opened a can of worms, I get that off. The timing cover should come off real easy and a couple of daps of silicon and it should seal up, not. the gasket on the oil pan is siliconed to the timing cover and comes off and tears at the corners. So now I am looking at pulling the pan to fix all of the gaskets to get the timing cover back on. I could have just put the opti back on and been done with this Wed. after a couple of hours, but now I am looking at another weekend of fun under the car.

Just had to vent but I do enjoy working on the car.

Couple of thoughts, I guess I should replace the timing chain on the car now any suggestions on what to get? Also should I replace the oil pump? The car has a 100,000 on it and I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the pump. Any help on what brand to use for a pump this is just a cruiser weekend ride.

Art

Last edited by gimpsy; 11-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:59 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gimpsy
So I needed to replace the opti on my 95, I did all the reading on what to do and ordered all of the parts. Everything came apart real easy and smooth, when I got the opti off I noticed a small oil leak from the seal around the opti. I decided to replace the seal and went down to the parts store, funny they only had the seal in an entire timing ever set, clue number one that I missed. When I get home I try to get the old seal out and after it is damaged beyond repair I decide I guess I have to pull the cover out to press the seal out and a new one in. Then I start reading the site to figure out how to get the crankshaft housing off clue number 2 that I have opened a can of worms, I get that off. The timing cover should come off real easy and a couple of daps of silicon and it should seal up, not. the gasket on the oil pan is siliconed to the timing cover and comes off and tears at the corners. So now I am looking at pulling the pan to fix all of the gaskets to get the timing cover back on. I could have just put the opti back on and been done with this Wed. after a couple of hours, but now I am looking at another weekend of fun under the car.

Just had to vent but I do enjoy working on the car.

Couple of thoughts, I guess I should replace the timing chain on the car now any suggestions on what to get? Also should I replace the oil pump? The car has a 100,000 on it and I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the pump. Any help on what brand to use for a pump this is just a cruiser weekend ride.

Art
Sounds like how things usually go for me. I recently changed out the water pump and opti seals on my '95. After doing a bit of research, I realized that I would have to at least drop down the front of the oil pan. No big deal, I've replaced the oil pan gasket before plus the car was already on ramps. So, just before I started, the memories of my oil pan gasket change out fiasco (that almost got me banned from this site among other things) came back. So needless to say, I still have the new timing cover gasket in the box.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also should I replace the oil pump? The car has a 100,000 on it and I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the pump. Art
I'd replace the timing chain since you're in there already but, there is no need to change out the oil pump.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:10 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

I have read that there is another timing chain sprocket and chain to get to replace the stock one, any ideas on which one of those to get?

Art
Old 11-29-2014, 02:50 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A stock replacement timing set from Cloyes, (C3039) is all that is needed...

Last edited by GKK; 11-29-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:55 AM
gimpsy
Instructor

Thanks GKK that is what I had read in several places but was waffling on going to the double roller. Rock Auto seems to have the best price but they are a pain to deal with sometimes.

Edited:::: Actually Summit matched Rock Autos price with free shipping so that was better because Summit gets me parts in one day and Rock Auto sometimes takes a week or more.

Art

Last edited by gimpsy; 11-29-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Well that wasn't that bad, took like 2 hr to get oil pan off I didn't need to lift the engine.

Remove oil level probe, starter, oil filter attachment, flywheel cover, antiknock covers and then the oil pan. Practically fell out after that, it took the rest of the day to clean everything up and get ready to put it back together.

Art
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Uh Oh. what started out as an opti replacement may soon morph into a total engine rebuild. The AS LONG AS IM AT IT symptom can soon appear. Timing chain replacement while your at it? Might as well start replacing other items along the way. Belts, Hoses, spark plugs....I think this is how it started with one of my cars as an oil change, that lead to an engine bay detail.

best of luck on your replacement

kdf
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kdf1986
Uh Oh. what started out as an opti replacement may soon morph into a total engine rebuild. The AS LONG AS IM AT IT symptom can soon appear. Timing chain replacement while your at it? Might as well start replacing other items along the way. Belts, Hoses, spark plugs....I think this is how it started with one of my cars as an oil change, that lead to an engine bay detail.

best of luck on your replacement

kdf

And while I'm at it, maybe a cam would be a good idea, but then I will need head work done, and while the manifolds are off, I might as well get long tubes. Suddenly the opti became $3000.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

if it were me with a 100k on it id replace the gears and chain just for peace of mind
Old 12-02-2014, 09:40 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Well that wasn't that bad, took like 2 hr to get oil pan off I didn't need to lift the engine.

Remove oil level probe, starter, oil filter attachment, flywheel cover, antiknock covers and then the oil pan. Practically fell out after that, it took the rest of the day to clean everything up and get ready to put it back together.

Art
It's when putting the pan back on that you need to slightly jack the engine. Also make sure the crank is rotated so the front counter weights are inside the block.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever have one of those days? Opti install

Quick Reply: Ever have one of those days? Opti install