C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Strange problem has shown up

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Strange problem has shown up

OK it's on my 92 LTI car. I'm going to explain this the best I can....
I Noticed the my alternator was pushing out 14.7 volts constantly with no fluctuation what so ever which to me seemed a little high.
I opened the hood and found the RED battery wire that's attached to the alternator burnt. Ok, so I checked the battery voltage and it was right at 13.4 So, thinking the alternator was over charging and replaced it and, repaired the burnt wire end at the alternator and the connector.
Now, with the new alternator on it's now charging at between 14.7-14.9! (digital gage in the dash)
OK, I'm thinking OK... I may have a strange battery problem so changed it with a new battery and getting the same thing. So thinking possibly I may have gotten a bad alternator (these things happen) changed the alternator again and no change. AND the RED battery wire is getting very hot again.
I know the alternator output should be at between 13.5 and 15 volts but then normally settle in at about 13.5 maybe 14.3. But again it's reading high and never goes down with a fully charged new battery.
Normally this wouldn't bother me to much but why would it burn the battery wire at the alternator the first time and now getting so hot it seems like it's going to burn again.
I'm pretty good at this stuff but this one has me buffaloed. Just for the sake of asking, what are y'all's alternators showing to be putting out at your digital gauge????
Old 11-30-2014, 10:32 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldnt trust the dash gauge, they are notorious for not reading accurately. Take your readings again with a good DVM and see if you get the same results. I would think that the main wire at the alternator is getting hot because of current draw being too large or a short to ground somewhere in your wiring. Just check it with the DVM before you go any farther.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

current draw being too large or a short to ground somewhere in your wiring

Sounds like a ground fault problem. Check cable from battery to starter.

Try to make continuity test.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Thanks HIhneast and Mohammed Z!
OK, I checked the output at the alternator and shows 14.9 (running). Checked the battery and I'm getting 13.5 with ignition off (to get the true battery voltage). Doing a continuity check with a DVM, all grounds are good. The battery cables all clean and tight and in very good condition.
I know this has nothing to do with anything really but, the car has right a 53K on the clock. Other than that she runs and drives absolutely beautiful. This latest testing all is after about a 80 mile trip today and the battery wire was very hot but did not burn like before but still seems like it's over charging and the wire is hotter than it should be.
Who knows maybe I'm just being to critical. I do get very **** about this car and don't drive it a whole lot and when I do I don't drive it hard.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Just thinking... "Could I have gotten two bad alternators"???? YES! I changed it out again and it's now charging correctly. She's now charging first at 14.5 then settled down to 13.6 as it should. The RED battery wire is not getting hot as it was before. These were all top self A/C Delco alternators. Not the Auto Zone or Pep Boy's typical junk rebuilds. I have to say I've run into bad "new" parts before but this was the first time the second one was bad also or not performing correctly.
Thanks to those for the help.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Glad you solved your problem. Sadly, AC Delco parts are being manufactured the cheap route also.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Dt86
Glad you solved your problem. Sadly, AC Delco parts are being manufactured the cheap route also.
Thanks for the info Dt86! Who now days builds a quality NEW alternator? I'll use them next after going through this fiasco.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad it solved
Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Solved

Glad it's taken care but a shame when a fix part is bad also.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange problem has shown up

Quick Reply: Strange problem has shown up