Impressions on these C4 listings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Hey fellas: We've got a deal. $6600 and he will have the rear tires remounted properly. Either this weekend or the next I will head out to pick it up and complete the deal. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of what just happened to Max.

Speaking of which, if anyone in the Vegas area wants to road trip this weekend down to SoCal, hit me up. I'm having a hard time getting anyone to ride with me this weekend to return my car, so if that falls through I'll have to fly out the weekend after Christmas.
Yay and CONGRATS on your decision - and your new ride!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The more I read your comments, the more I think we're way too much alike. I definitely will do that same thing, smiling at the car before bed.
Funny thing, JD. I met my wife in the garage tonight and carried groceries up for her .. she said "Did you say hello to Ariel?" and I replied that "Of course I did." She blithely announced "Well, I say hello to her every morning and evening - say things like "Thanks for holding down the fort." and "See you in the morning."

Did I mention I have the perfect wife?

There IS a little jealousy there though, as her Mini (Ruby) shares the garage with my Ariel. If she starts disappearing into the garage for hours, I'll probably start getting suspicious.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Yeah, I really like that interior on the '93. The kicker on my car is the condition of the interior, and it's a z07. Hope the buyer follows through on the sale.
Oh, a Z07. Sweet. A good conditioned interior is a great bonus.

This one isn't all optioned out - standard suspension, manual seats - but I'm good with that.

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Yay and CONGRATS on your decision - and your new ride!
Thanks! Hopefully I can get out there in time to make this deal final, because I really want this car. May take a little while to arrange it, though, so plan B is in the back of my mind.

Funny thing, JD. I met my wife in the garage tonight and carried groceries up for her .. she said "Did you say hello to Ariel?" and I replied that "Of course I did." She blithely announced "Well, I say hello to her every morning and evening - say things like "Thanks for holding down the fort." and "See you in the morning."

Did I mention I have the perfect wife?

There IS a little jealousy there though, as her Mini (Ruby) shares the garage with my Ariel. If she starts disappearing into the garage for hours, I'll probably start getting suspicious.
Once you name your cars and start talking to them, well, they're basically adopted mechanical children. But when one of them is a Corvette, I approve. My wife really has a thing for Mazda 3's so we're probably going to get one sometime soon, and I could see a similar dynamic happening with us, lol. She starts thinking up names BEFORE she buys a car.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! Hopefully I can get out there in time to make this deal final, because I really want this car. May take a little while to arrange it, though, so plan B is in the back of my mind.
Sounds like you've been patient with him, so he'll probably return the favor.

I sent my guy a text pic of the bank envelope stuffed with Benjamins - at least he knows I have the cash.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you've been patient with him, so he'll probably return the favor.

I sent my guy a text pic of the bank envelope stuffed with Benjamins - at least he knows I have the cash.
It crossed my mind today to do that same exact thing. As a matter of fact, after I grab a few more bills at the bank tomorrow I will do that.

Starting to look like I'll be able to make it out this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Well shucks. He just called to alert me that yesterday he drove the car to work and to get the tires mounted and now its stalling at idle, so he said he "can't have you come all the way out here from Vegas in good conscience with what I just learned about the car." Plans to take into a mechanic today or tomorrow. Looks like that occasional check engine light wasn't messing around after all.

Oddly, last night I was getting a nagging feeling that something was off, and then first thing this morning I get that call. But hey, at least I'm dealing with a straight shooter that isn't going to screw me over. I'm grateful for how this guy has handled the situation. And if it gets sorted, I'll still consider going through with the deal. Doubtful it'll be this weekend, but still possible. Going to get back on the hunt for other options, though.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 12-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Aint that murhpys law
Tried selling a car yrs ago that never gave a hiccup, buyer showed up to look at it starter wouldnt go. No click no nothing swear that thing hated me. lol

standard suspension, manual seats - but I'm good with that.
Less to go wrong! FX3 is overrated
Old 12-17-2014, 02:02 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Aint that murhpys law
Tried selling a car yrs ago that never gave a hiccup, buyer showed up to look at it starter wouldnt go. No click no nothing swear that thing hated me. lol

Less to go wrong! FX3 is overrated
No kidding, man. It's always something, and when you least expect it at the most inopportune time, lol. When my father sold off my first car (it was old and the suspension had gone to crap and back then I didn't wrench much so cost to repair exceeded the cars' value) it had sat for a little while but we never had engine problems, so we figured fix up the suspension issue and you're good. But when a potential buyer shows up, they go to fire it up and the thing was knocking! Welp. So much for THAT sale. Ended up just donating it.

And yeah, I kind of like that it isn't power seats or FX3. I've always preferred manual seats, and FX3 just adds more electronics that could go bad. lol

Last edited by JD Shredds; 12-17-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well shucks. He just called to alert me that yesterday he drove the car to work and to get the tires mounted and now its stalling at idle, so he said he "can't have you come all the way out here from Vegas in good conscience with what I just learned about the car." Plans to take into a mechanic today or tomorrow. Looks like that occasional check engine light wasn't messing around after all.
Well, that sucks.

My drive is getting more complicated myself - now there's going to be some 8-12 inches of snow on the pass I have to go over. Dammit. I'm going no matter what - on the train now. I'll figure out how to get her home once I'm there.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Anyone have familiarity with this issue on an LT1? Code 44 (O2 sensor, left bank, lean). Symptoms: Check engine light and stalling while at idle. He reports that while on throttle the power is consistent and strong.

Theories to the underlying cause? Does it have to do with too much air intake or something? I wouldn't really know, but if anyone here has an idea: shoot.

This guy has been completely above board. I appreciate how he has handled this. Even if the sale doesn't go through, its been a good experience.

Well, that sucks.

My drive is getting more complicated myself - now there's going to be some 8-12 inches of snow on the pass I have to go over. Dammit. I'm going no matter what - on the train now. I'll figure out how to get her home once I'm there.
Obstacles everywhere you look. But hey, that's exciting! Let us know when you get her home.

Apparently this guy got caught in flooding and torrential rain... in southern California traffic... with a low slung Corvette that was stalling amidst said traffic... trying to go to an unfamiliar area to remount the rear tires. Talk about having a bad time.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone have familiarity with this issue on an LT1? Code 44 (O2 sensor, left bank, lean). Symptoms: Check engine light and stalling while at idle. He reports that while on throttle the power is consistent and strong.
Any chance of a bad EGR valve? That does weird things at idle that vanish at speed, and would mess with the O2 balance ..
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Any chance of a bad EGR valve? That does weird things at idle that vanish at speed, and would mess with the O2 balance ..
Not sure, but I just googled it and read this thorough piece about EGR valves on C4s: http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...egr-diagnosis/ But the thing is it always points back to code 32, while Tony (the owner of the '93) told me he pulled Code 44.

After a bit of googling on Code 44 on LT1s, I saw this advice: Code 44- Lean exhaust indicated. Check for possible lean fuel possibilities, such as low pressure caused by faulty regulator, fuel pump or fuel lines kinked or partially collapse, vacuum leaks, clogged air filter or fuel filter.. Check wiring and connections to O2 sensor. Check ground terminals to ecm. Replace O2 sensor. Think I'll relay that to him, though his mechanic is probably going to do the work.

Oh btw, I forgot to comment on you taking the train to pickup your new (old) Vette. I'm leaning on taking an express Greyhound to pick this one up, if the stalling gets sorted and the deal stays in place. My biggest challenge will be navigating my way back out of the SoCal grapevine. Driving down there gives me a headache. Maybe I'll just get on the pacific coast highway and take the scenic route. It's always been my dream to drive my own Vette on PCH...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure, but I just googled it and read this thorough piece about EGR valves on C4s: http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...egr-diagnosis/ But the thing is it always points back to code 32, while Tony (the owner of the '93) told me he pulled Code 44.

After a bit of googling on Code 44 on LT1s, I saw this advice: Code 44- Lean exhaust indicated. Check for possible lean fuel possibilities, such as low pressure caused by faulty regulator, fuel pump or fuel lines kinked or partially collapse, vacuum leaks, clogged air filter or fuel filter.. Check wiring and connections to O2 sensor. Check ground terminals to ecm. Replace O2 sensor. Think I'll relay that to him, though his mechanic is probably going to do the work.

Oh btw, I forgot to comment on you taking the train to pickup your new (old) Vette. I'm leaning on taking an express Greyhound to pick this one up, if the stalling gets sorted and the deal stays in place. My biggest challenge will be navigating my way back out of the SoCal grapevine. Driving down there gives me a headache. Maybe I'll just get on the pacific coast highway and take the scenic route. It's always been my dream to drive my own Vette on PCH...
It's this sort of thing that makes you ache for OBDII.

Aye - we're taking the train as my wife hates to drive in bad weather and the trip back from Seattle may be hairy. I wonder if I can find chains to fit those monster tires...

Back to your problem, I'm betting on it being something simple that won't wreck your plans. And him - I bet he's tearing his hair out - a sure deal and it does this.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a '96 LT4 with 88k miles, red/black for sale here in Tucson. Check out Tucson Craig's List to see it. Looks pretty good to me, asign $7500, but I think he would take $7000, if not less.

But is you want to spend a bit more....hell...buy my '96 CE LT4.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:41 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81

But is you want to spend a bit more....hell...buy my '96 CE LT4.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Well, its taken a lot of patience for a few weeks, but I heard back of the owner of the aqua '93 today (the one we had a deal on before it stalled). He says his mechanic thinks it was dirty fuel injectors fouling the O2 sensor, causing the computer to stall the car. He ran some fuel injector cleaner and replaced the O2 sensor, and the owner is going to drive the car this week to see if it clears up.

You guys think its going to be that simple? I'm assuming he didn't find any vacuum leaks or damaged fuel lines, etc. Additionally, do you think this could be a sign that its going to need new injectors soon?

Now I need to decide if I want to use this as re-negotiation leverage or not. It already is a good deal, but the car was reported to be running perfectly with an occasional, symptomless check engine light when we made the deal. But if he runs the car for a week and it proves to have been dirty fuel injectors, I might not push him too hard, especially with the rest of the market within a day's drive of my location being a bit underwhelming.

My garage really needs something other than a Camry parked in it. And by something, I mean a C4.

---

As an aside, if this one falls through, I haven't ruled out the other listing on the OP (the dark red '89). I've gotten a lot of details and pictures on that car, and he already offered to throw 4 new tires on it. I would still drive him down on price, but its one of the better deals in this part of the country, even with the various bits of attention needed (old weather stripping, lazy headlights, some tears in the otherwise nice seat leathers, speakers are buzzing - all of which I can fix myself at my own pace but use in the price negotiation, because that all isn't going to be cheap). Straight body with solid paint and wheels, mechanically sound, no leaks, digital dash fully functioning. Color and year combo I like a lot. Not a bad foundation. Assuming it stands up to that under close in-person inspection, of course.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

I had 2 leaking injectors on my 78k mile 93. Put Bosch 3 and the idle is smoother at warm temp.

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions on these C4 listings?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I had 2 leaking injectors on my 78k mile 93. Put Bosch 3 and the idle is smoother at warm temp.
Heh, funny cuz this is a '93 at 79k-80k miles and running into injector problems. So I take it you're pleased with the Bosch replacements?

I'm fairly new at DIY but have gotten into it lately. Never done anything with fuel injectors yet. What kind of job am I looking at if I replace them myself?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Yes, I am happy with them. Super easy to replace. I got rebuilt injectors and they work fine.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, its taken a lot of patience for a few weeks, but I heard back of the owner of the aqua '93 today
Wahoo! Back on the road again! Maybe ..

Quick Reply: Impressions on these C4 listings?