Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Impressions on these C4 listings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds good to me. I think this could be the one!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
gecanter
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for Admiral

I love going to the garage and seeing that beautiful blue starting back at me!

Good luck on your purchase
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Roamer85
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck JD She looks real nice.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I referred him to Autocheck and he promptly provided a report this morning. It all checks out and supports his story of the car (had just 2,200 miles in 2004, then gradually climbed to 108k). No accidents, damage or flood reported. One duplicated title from DMV, one failed emissions inspection that was passed 3 days later (he says it was an o2 sensor that needed replacement). 2 owners, reporting locations all support his story.

Even my wife is on board with this one. "Don't let this opportunity pass you by."

He is quite proactive to keep me in the loop, as well. Its refreshing after all the people I've dealt with these last few months. Looks like the next step is a PPI.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Update: Hadn't received an e-mail with a few requested photos nor had heard from the seller in about 3 days, so I gave him a ring. Turns out he thought he sent the photos, but I never received them, so he's trying again. Not unheard of with my Yahoo e-mail account lol.

Gotta say, this seller is night and day better to deal with than anyone else I've come across so far. He is thoroughly passing the gut feeling test, too. We've agreed on a day/time for an inspection (next Wed) and assuming all goes well with said inspection, I foresee a deal being cemented and him driving the car out here March 10th.

Each day goes by I feel even better and more stoked about this one. Fingers crossed, fellas!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I don't think you could ask for a better buying experience. Patiently waiting for after purchase photos..
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Yup, the patience of a 3 month search seems to finally be paying off. He even said he and his wife already made the plans to drive out with two cars (including the Vette), make the deal and stay a night here in Vegas, then head down to Scottsdale the following day. So really, it works out for everyone.

I eagerly await the inspection results. I have a hunch its going to look pretty good, with just the minor flaws of some cracking in the seats, rear radio amp out and some little nitpicky bits expected of a clean but 100k mile car. I would be very surprised if there were any deal breaker issues revealed. The seller has gone above and beyond so far.

Oh, and I too look forward to showing off the post-purchase photos. I've gotta take it to one of these scenic desert spots pronto. The way that Admiral blue will contrast with the harsh reds of the local canyons... my wife's fancy camera is going to get a workout (and so is my right foot - Am I right?).

But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. It's February 27th (my 31st birthday, btw), and the car isn't expected to be here until March 10th.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 02-27-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Happy birthday
March 10th seems like forever when you're hoping to buy a Vette
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

And oh snap! I didn't expect this, but I was looking over the image of the window sticker again and have no idea how I missed it: Performance axle ratio. Not sure exactly which ratio that will be, but I'll be able to confirm when he gets me the image of the Service Parts ID tag and see what RPOs I spot. Regardless, it'll certainly be better than the base 2.59. Would likely be 3.07, correct?

Can't wait to switch off ASR and, well, you know the rest.

For those that care about the options, it has preferred group #1, so it comes with the six way adjustable driver's seat and all that jazz. Same for the passenger side.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 02-27-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

My Ruby has the 3.07 gears. I feel a difference on take off compared to my previous C4 with the base everything. ASR off,
Will you plan on any mods for your C4?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

I'm likely going to keep it bone stock for the most part. May or may plan for an exhaust system. And yeah, the 2.59 are fairly sluggish off the line in comparison, right?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

The 2.59's will still light up the tires from a stop with asr off. So they aren't horrible. Can't go wrong with exhaust mods.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:19 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

The inspection is sooner than expected - Sunday (tomorrow) so within a few days I'll have a pretty clear picture of the car, and then we'll be able to cement the deal, assuming the inspection checks out. Eagerly and anxiously awaiting the results of the inspection...

The seller has been a joy to work with. Frequent communication, always going the extra mile and making sure to protect the buyer as much as himself. Quite a breath of fresh air. He even offered to go to the local NV DMV with me when he's in town (March 9th) to make sure we don't miss any legal hoops. I don't think that'll be necessary, but its great to know I'm dealing with someone on the up and up. He's sent me plenty of photos (of anything I've requested, plus some more) including the flaws and original documentation and accessories. He also voluntarily showed me his bill of sale from when he bought the car in 2004, and drafted a copy for us to use with our transaction, offering to edit it if there's any wording I don't like.

Here's a few of the included pics as a sample. So far, the "worst" of the car is the driver's seat and the repaired acrylic top corner, along with imperfect weather stripping (what else is new?).

Hadn't actually seen the left side of the body. Now I have. Looks good from herrrre!

The seats have some pretty expected wear for over 100k miles. He's done a bit of vinyl patch work (and offered to give me the stuff he used), and inevitably I'll have to recover the seats. But they'll do fine for now.

Here's the corner that broke off and was epoxied back in place. Also, weatherstripping has some splitting (its been replaced during his ownership).

Neither of us are sure exactly what targa top(s) this car came with. Was this a dual roof car that's missing its solid top, or is that what the acrylic option looks like?

Edit: I looked up the RPO codes, and I've confirmed this car opted out of the solid top and only included the acrylic.

G44 = 3.07. Yes please. FE1 standard suspension is fine with me, especially for a road-trip cruiser.

Goodies! lol

These images were huge and high res, so I had to manually go through and edit the dimensions to half-size after inserting them, lol. Plenty of other images (and many more coming with the inspection), just showing some important samples.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 03-01-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Roamer85
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy I sure hope this one works out for you! I can appreciate your excitement.

The noted flaws are not that bad if it checks out otherwise. They're all gonna have some issues unless you drop big bucks.

As for me, I'm meeting with my mechanic on Tuesday to formulate a gameplan for Spring maintenance on my recently acquired '85. I want to do as much as I can myself, but my skills and equipment are limited!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:15 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

My acrylic top seperated from the roof's frame and flew off. Not saying that roof is bad
Just a caution.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Celebratory burnout on YouTube yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions on these C4 listings?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roamer85
Boy I sure hope this one works out for you! I can appreciate your excitement.

The noted flaws are not that bad if it checks out otherwise. They're all gonna have some issues unless you drop big bucks.

As for me, I'm meeting with my mechanic on Tuesday to formulate a gameplan for Spring maintenance on my recently acquired '85. I want to do as much as I can myself, but my skills and equipment are limited!
Thanks man. I agree, I hope it works out. I'm a lot more cautious and thorough now after my negative experiences, but it just makes me wiser. I see this one happening.

Good idea on making a gameplan. I've yet to get my own trusty mechanic since moving to Vegas (haven't needed it and handled the rest myself), so I should get on that soon. And same here, I'm limited with skills and equipment but eager to learn (and gradually grow the toolbox lol).

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
My acrylic top seperated from the roof's frame and flew off. Not saying that roof is bad
Just a caution.
Oh right, I think you've mentioned that before. I'll make sure to keep a close eye on that top. I might eventually shop around for a solid top in Admiral blue, as well.

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Celebratory burnout on YouTube yet?
The car won't be here until March 9th! But that's a good idea. I'm also thinking of getting a Go Pro and doing a desert cruise video. I've always enjoyed those camera mount videos.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

The owner has been kind enough to e-mail me twice both during and after the inspection, letting me know the inspector seems very knowledgeable and thorough, and he added the tidbit that he arrived in a new Charger and wants to trade it in for a Challenger Hellcat, lol. Can't blame him there. That car is bonkers.

Rod (the owner) provided me a photo of a flaw the inspector noticed that he had forgotten about, which is this circular mark on the front bumper from what he thinks was someone in a parking lot bumping his car (he didn't see it happen and its not very noticeable).

From 5-10 feet, its barely noticeable on camera. Just looks like a tiny scuff/scratch. Up close, you can see it much more clearly. Seems like something that a good touch up job could improve.

After all, I'm looking for a driver's car. This thing seems cleaner than what I expected, even with the flaws.

He says the inspector's final notes to him was that the car was in better shape than most he's seen of the same year, and I should receive the final report soon.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Cool it looks like you found a winner this time !

Quick Reply: Impressions on these C4 listings?