Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Impressions on these C4 listings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Impressions on these C4 listings?

Hey guys, I'm back on the hunt for my first C4 after having to call it off for a while, but I figured I'd get your thoughts on a couple listings I have inquired about.

Both sellers have gotten back to me promptly and are willing to work with non-locals (they are located about 3 and 4-5 hours drive away from me, respectively, so I'm asking tons of questions first and I can get back to you guys with my impressions of those answers).

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4758745879.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...788864936.html

Seem like good deals to me, and I like the color combos of both (as an aside, I like both the old and newer styles, but I'm always reminded of the 'get the newest/best condition you can afford' advice). Haven't found deals quite like these here in my local market (Vegas) but I'm willing to take my time. I have a soft spot for the late 80s models, but the '93 seems cleaner/more sorted to my eye (and like I said, I like both styles - plus the LT1 is simply stronger). I inquired about the seats on the '89 since that may be a future job/expense if I got that car, waiting for a response.

Any and all input and advice is welcomed.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A passively ventilated optispark (92-94) is a problem waiting to happen. My L98 had less issues then my 94 LT1
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm aware of that issue. Granted, this car is in SoCal and I live in the desert, so moisture is a lot less likely to become an issue in the southwest. Isn't it moisture that's the main problem with the early Opti's?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:32 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

On the 93 the ad mentions the fact that the optispark, plugs and wires have been changed, so that should not be an issue to make or break a potential deal.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Yes, and carbon build up. Just my 2 cents, look for a '96 or get the price down a little
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
cormorant71
Racer

That's a big bonus. Sounds like you want it, go for it!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

The '93 for the win! Opti isn't that hard to replace anyways.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

The 93 just looks like a cleaner car.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on the LT1 looking a little cleaner/well maintained. Nice color combo. For 1000 more youre getting a lot more car
(oh and one of the wheels is on backwards couldnt help myself)
think that 89 has been up for sale for awhile could be mistaken

There are some good deals on these in LA if youre patient.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:33 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I'm waiting on more info on the '93, but I do think that is the more sorted car. I love the aqua and white/black combo, too.

For what its worth the seller of the '89 seems like a straight shooter. Family car (his father in law is the original owner) but it comes with its flaws. Some tears on the leather, weatherstripping never been replaced (no known leaks, but its old rubber), tires are about 60% tread but are getting dry/cracked, and the headlamps "usually" work but he said occasionally they'll get stuck down, so that'll need sorting too. Only way I get that car is if I drive the price down and do the work myself (other than the tires, which I'd have done professionally), but he did send a very thorough reply email with all the pictures I requested and answered every question, flaws included.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
x2 on the LT1 looking a little cleaner/well maintained. Nice color combo. For 1000 more youre getting a lot more car
(oh and one of the wheels is on backwards couldnt help myself)
think that 89 has been up for sale for awhile could be mistaken

There are some good deals on these in LA if youre patient.
Agreed. And I totally didn't notice the backwards wheel but you're right. I'd have to sort that myself. Probably had a rotation and the dudes didn't know they're unidirectional.

Yeah, I've noticed better selection and deals in SoCal than up here in Vegas. A few guys I met at Cars and Coffee got their Vette's in SoCal, so that seems to be a common theme around here. And I may move back to CA someday, so it would be nice to have a CA-smogged car. Less hassle later on, even if these cars can be exempted here.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Grass is always greener, lol. LA is expensive and crime ridden sure you want to move back out here?
Sounds like the opti has been replaced which is good.

89 sounds like its been sitting and deteriorating potential money pit. If the head gaskets havent been replaced they are going to need it. btdt.

Last edited by cv67; 12-08-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:05 AM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

The 93 hands down. Maybe you could find a "better" deal, but in my experience looking for Corvettes, you need to get what you can afford and be happy with. All of our opinions are just that, opinions. Your money, your purchase. Get what you'll be happy with. All that aside, the interior of the 93 makes it worth the asking price by itself, in my opinion. That's just a beautiful combo. Whichever you get, as they say, it'll be miles of smiles!!! I've had my 95 vert for 4 years now, and I promise, it makes me smile everytime I drive it.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The Bright Aqua Metallic - very nice condition.

However keep an eye on that 'aftermarket alarm'.... when you may need to troubleshoot the electronic starting gremlins later.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Of those two; the '93.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

So far the '93 owner hasn't been very on top of contact, so we'll see where that goes. But I agree, the '89 has too much wrong (even though I have a soft spot for '89s, I can find and afford a cleaner car). I'm definitely going to practice patience and be as thorough as possible.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Grass is always greener, lol. LA is expensive and crime ridden sure you want to move back out here?
Sounds like the opti has been replaced which is good.

89 sounds like its been sitting and deteriorating potential money pit. If the head gaskets havent been replaced they are going to need it. btdt.
Haha, I'm from NorCal so I'm not moving to LA if I move back to CA. And yeah, the '89 used to be taken care of - key: used to be. It's been sitting for most of the last 5 years on rotting tires.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Ok, so the aqua '93 owner got back to me (he's on vacation right now). Sounds like this car is indeed much cleaner than the '89, with a few hiccups. Here's the response to my questions:

Jeff,

See my answers below...

- Electrics: passenger window control switch only goes down, not up. However, switch on driver side door that controls the passenger window works fine. All else works perfectly, all the time. Seats are manual.

- we have service records. We've only had the car for 2 years. I've done some of the work myself such as replacing opti-spark, water pump, spark plugs & wires, oil changes.

- VIN: I'll have to get this to you next week. We are on vacation right now.

- car runs great, shifts well, maintains good water temp, etc.

- weather stripping is ok. Rear hatch rubber I've replaced twice with new, and it comes apart at the seem each time. Since it doesn't leak, I gave up on it. Other rubber around door and top is soft and not cracked.

- driven regularly during the first year we had it, less so now since we moved to L.A. In June. Been garaged until we moved here also. Now sits outside with car cover.

- I can provide pics when I return home of engine. Oil leaks are very minor. Nothing that reaches the ground, but evidence on frame and lower engine of leak.

- completely stock

- I've had the engine mgmt computer rebuilt recently. It's still under warranty, if there are are any future issues. Turns out you can't really get these new or aftermarket any more, so you have to have them rebuilt by someplace back east.

We bought the tires new 2 years ago and have put 20,000 miles on them. They still look to have plenty of tread and are in good shape. I'll get you a pic after we are home.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and if you are still interested.

Thanks,
Tony

The issues all sound like things I can manage myself - the one that stands out is the minor oil leaking. Obviously would much prefer get a car that isn't leaking, but my DD for example has been dribbling out of the valve cover for a long while without any notable issues (I'm replacing the gaskets soon and have the parts). But not all leaks are created equal, so if you guys have thoughts on that, fire away. Any clues as to common leaks that start out with such symptoms?

I'm definitely going to follow up on this one, but obviously have some time to think since he's on vacation anyway. I'm pleased it doesn't have old tires like the '89 does. That's good.

Anything else you guys think I should inquire about or look out for? Other than pointing out the backwards rear wheels. Worst comes to worst I would just jack up the rear of the car and swap them if I ended up buying.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The "93" for sure!...

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions on these C4 listings?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:52 PM
jlbruggeman
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go for the '93 also, lots of little improvements over the older ones. Both great looking cars, though!
Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

The '93 appears to be a better car all around and on top of that it's a great color combination.
Good luck in your search!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 AM
greest_lightnin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have three words for you...

L...

T...

Okay, they were only two letters and a number...

Al

Quick Reply: Impressions on these C4 listings?