Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Trouble With Weather Strip

Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
66cutlass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble With Weather Strip

I purchased a complete weather strip kit for my 1986 coup from Corvette Mods last week. I got the kit and installed the from top and side and rear top and side front. I noticed they did not have the same screw locations. When I put the new strip on targa top - nothing came together and now there are gaps.

Last edited by 66cutlass; 12-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
66cutlass
Advanced

I just received a note from Corvette Mods saying that they can not see any issues with the weatherstripping. Can anyone see what I see?

Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may have the targa top pieces on backwards. Remove top and take pics of the ends of the weatherstripping and post them.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 PM
66cutlass
Advanced

They are on the correct way. I double checked one side to the other as I took them off.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take targa top off and take pictures of the top weatherstripping on both sides. And take pictures of the top corners of the A pillar weatherstripping.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Fitting weatherstrips is a trail and error exercise, i hope you did not use glue.

When i fitted my weatherstrips (from Willcox) i fitted the A pillar corners right first get them right first, then the top A pillar and the sides of the A pillar. The screw and plastic push pin holes were spot on, the rear B pillar weatherstrip and targa sides are a lot easier.

The targa and A pillar weatherstrip works by having the targa side weatherstrips pressed down onto the A pillar weatherstrip, they should form a water tight seal when quality weatherstrips are used and fitted carefully.

Cheap no name weather strips are not soft like the original GM ones and will not seal properly, i made the mistake of using Metro branded first time. The old saying the doors will be easier to close after time is not true,i got sick of slamming the doors hard i threw them out and got the Wilcox weatherstrips.
They are soft like original and fit well, best of all they seal great no more complaints from the little woman her dress gets wet.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

I tried Metro once. fail. I then ordered from Willcox, happiness. I replaced just one torn targa side strip. I will tell you that I spent a long time dry fitting before I glued. They are not easy to fit. They stretch a bit if you need to. Be very sure that you fitted them right, they do look wrong.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

66cutlass, I moved your other thread on this issue to Feedback and Transactions so Corvette Mods could reply to it. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's your "A" pillar/windshield header piece that's out of position. Hopefully, the Corvette Mods piece has the holes for the alignment push pins (like my Willcox parts had). The top corners need to be positioned first with the alignment holes in the header, then the rest of the weatherstrip massaged into place. Gerardvg has it right!

It's the same with the hatch weatherstrip. Position the front corners first, with no stretching in the corners. Then fit the remainder in place.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would venture to say I paid more for the OEM rear hatch WS than you paid for the entire set.You get what you pay for but thanks for the tip on the supplier.Next time I need something I won't be calling them.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I ran outside (musta looked funny with freezing temps, in my pajamas ) to have a look at mine. Safelite installed a new windshield for me last spring, and it doesn't leak. (I highly recommend them, BTW.**)

The corner of your A-pillar weatherstripping is definitely not right: either the weather strip is cut wrong, OR installed wrong. There should be little or NO gap in the corner. I tend to agree w/ comments on how it is installed. It is critical to how well the corners fit. gerardvg is right: The corners go on first, and the rest follows.

As for the supplier dismissing you with a "no problem found" sort of answer, IS irritating, to be sure, I agree. A blind man on a galloping horse can see there is a problem! But, having wrestled with weatherstripping my car just recently (and still have some more to do when it warms up again), and on several others too, I can agree it can be an iterative process to get it right. (Hell, even the factory has the occasional issues with leaking! You should see the "rain test" they do on new Corvettes!)

As for the comment(s) regarding the texture being too firm, that too has been a problem I've encountered. (In fact, the seal that Safelite was going to install was IMO way to stiff. I happened to have had a seal from Corvette Rubber that was of the proper texture/firmness (read: like stock) and had them install that seal instead.)

**Oh, one other thing... Before calling it "good", I observed that Safelite also uses a type of caulk to further reinforce the sealing around the joints. My Vette was the 3rd car I observed them install weather seals on, and none of them leak. The right seal, the correct installation procedure, and special attention (and goop) in the critical locations (i.e., corners), and NO leaks.

Your weatherstrips don't appear to have been installed correctly, and I don't see any sealer, FWIW: Perhaps NOT the supplier's fault, regardless of the **** poor response (IMO).

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble With Weather Strip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble With Weather Strip