C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1993 Horn Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Kenabinkport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Horn Problem

So, the horn button on my 93 isn't working, the horn itself works when I set off the alarm. Does anybody know what part I need to replace, I know its behind the dashboard, but that's it.
Any help would be great, thank you.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You're much more likely to have problems with the horn button contacts in the steering wheel. Check those first.

The connection between the steering wheel and steering column can have problems as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 PM
t384
Instructor

You need new contacts most likely, they get old and brittle and break. Go to eBay and do a search for ac delco 1774a. I did a quick search and found a reproduction, they are discontinued from AC Delco.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by t384
You need new contacts most likely, they get old and brittle and break. Go to eBay and do a search for ac delco 1774a. I did a quick search and found a reproduction, they are discontinued from AC Delco.
That part is listed as a 1994-96. He has a '93
Old 12-14-2014, 01:44 AM
t384
Instructor

Sorry, my bad. I didn't notice that it was a '93. If it is the switches in the wheel you can find them at gmpartsdirect. I checked and it looks like they are sold separately for the left and right buttons.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Mackysback
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kenabinkport
So, the horn button on my 93 isn't working, the horn itself works when I set off the alarm. Does anybody know what part I need to replace, I know its behind the dashboard, but that's it.
Any help would be great, thank you.
I have the same problem. I was told it was a relay. If so, where is that located?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If the alarm works the relay is probably okay. Most likely the problem is in the steering wheel/hub assembly. i.e. - horn buttons (the little plastic contact breaks off) or the yellow plastic bayonet plug that goes into the hub (the plastic cracks and/or breaks with age).

Rarely, but it does happen, the brass contact strips under the buttons corrode and need cleaning.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Mackysback
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Wildride
If the alarm works the relay is probably okay. Most likely the problem is in the steering wheel/hub assembly. i.e. - horn buttons (the little plastic contact breaks off) or the yellow plastic bayonet plug that goes into the hub (the plastic cracks and/or breaks with age).

Rarely, but it does happen, the brass contact strips under the buttons corrode and need cleaning.
thank you very much. Do you know a good source on how to take off the steering wheel to get to that location.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mackysback
thank you very much. Do you know a good source on how to take off the steering wheel to get to that location.
It is not necessary to remove the entire steering wheel assembly. Just remove the air bag. Most of what you want to get to is behind the Airbag and easy to get to. The basics:

1. Remove the connections from the battery. (8mm wrench ?).
2. Remove the Airbag fuse from the fuse panel.(10 amp-4th row from top of panel)
3. Wait 1/2 hour-some claim that there is residual electricity that needs bleed off. Be safe and wait.
4. There are two Torx Screws (T-27) in the rear of the steering wheel spokes. Remove them.
5. Carefully lift the Airbag from the steering wheel. Then unplug it from the harness and set it aside.

Once the Airbag is removed the buttons, contacts, wires and plug should be accessible.

Handle the Airbag assembly with CARE! Without electrical power the thing is supposedly inert, BUT it is still a potential bomb.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 Horn Problem

Quick Reply: 1993 Horn Problem