C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Water pump 86'

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Corvettewaldon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water pump 86'

Question: I have a 86 coupe. put away a few weeks ago (live in Michigan) had a warmer day so got her out to stretch her legs, of course when I got back, noticed a leak. Coming from water pump.

Looks like time to change.

1.) I hear it is a PITA to change, looks like a lot to remove? any tips or thoughts
2.) since I am taking all this stuff off, what would you suggest I look into changing while im there? I have heard things like timing chain, etc.

Car runs great, has 160,000 on OD, but I would like to do some preventative stuff while i have it torn down.

Thanks Guys
Old 12-11-2014, 08:00 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the belts, t-stat, and rad cap as preventative and to ensure good cooling system health. If the hoses are soft and spongy or hard and crinkly replace them too. Nice new hose clamps. That's as far as I would go. Flushing the system while it's apart is easy enough too with a hose and good pressure in and out of the block and radiator get all the old sediment out of there. If not no biggie (that can be messy).
Old 12-12-2014, 02:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The main problem is that the AC compressor bracket attaches on top of the water pump so it has be be removed to get the water pump off.

I did a thread on a timing chain replacement, so it might have some helpful hints since it talks about removing the AC compressor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...placement.html

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 12-12-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take photos of everything. To get to the WP you have to remove a lot of stuff. Which means you have to put back a lot of stuff. Bag and tag everything. The ac compressor will be the hardest. There is a torx bolt hidden on the bottom. I forget the size, sorry. When you do get it off take it with you when you go to get a new one. I ended up getting one off eBay. AC Delco NOS. Fit perfectly. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump 86'

Quick Reply: Water pump 86'