C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So I just bought another Corvette ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Good point on the torque - I was reading up on the early engines today. I really hope I wind up with an early one.

Here's a laugh for you:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4791993646.html

What's that worth, maybe $500? I'm pretty sure I even see a broken targa top...
An all original 84 with a 4+3!!!! That's a great candidate for a restoration right there! The 84's are very capable and amazing cars! While not the fastest, they handle exemplary and are very reliable. You'd be hooked after driving one as they are different than any other C4. I'd offer that guy around $1500 for the car. Its got a lot of potential, especially if its a Z51. A Z51 84 with a 4+3 is truly an amazing car!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
An all original 84 with a 4+3!!!! That's a great candidate for a restoration right there! The 84's are very capable and amazing cars! While not the fastest, they handle exemplary and are very reliable. You'd be hooked after driving one as they are different than any other C4. I'd offer that guy around $1500 for the car. Its got a lot of potential, especially if its a Z51. A Z51 84 with a 4+3 is truly an amazing car!
..it's been sitting in the weather for 24 years - how much damage has it taken? If it "ran when it was parked" is the engine still in decent shape under all that? Change the oil and the coolant, throw some oil in the cylinders and then try turning it over?

I was actually joking before - but maybe ..
Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Philsphan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I like the idea of a rough C4 (that's mechanically sound), and with the prices these days, it really could almost be called "practical," 2 seater and "Corvette-tax" not withstanding.

I only have 1 garage space, too (and close on a '93 to take the place of my DD in there). There's an 8 ft ladder leaning against the wall that will definitely see its exit before I pull my C4 in there.

The LT1 started in 1992 and also introduced ASR (ie traction control). I've always found the progression of the C4 quite cool, especially 88-92. Pretty different cars despite only 4 years apart and built on the same platform. Don't get me started on my dreams of a C4 collection. I'll nerd out for hours.
Yep I would nerd out for hours too thinking of a c4 collection... Im gonna give you a rough draft of my ideal c4 collection lol... I have an 88 35th.. so I would add a red on red 89, black or red 90 zr1, 92 red or black coupe, 93 40th anniversary, 95 zr1, 96 LT4 or grandsport... That about sums it up also a late 80s Callaway c4 cant believe I forgot that.. not with the hood and other stuff there were c4s that looked like regular c4s just had the cooler callaway wheels and the turbos...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 499 Posts

I would have bought that car to, sorry about the seller.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:58 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,491 Likes on 2,822 Posts

..it's been sitting in the weather for 24 years - how much damage has it taken? If it "ran when it was parked" is the engine still in decent shape under all that? Change the oil and the coolant, throw some oil in the cylinders and then try turning it over?

I was actually joking before - but maybe ..
I'd say that car is pretty fairly priced at 3k. It's still a stick shift Corvette, and so it's always going to have more value than you'd expect because SOMEONE out there will get it running and cleaned up.

As far as what could have gone wrong in that time... all the weather stripping is likely bad. You may have some seals that are dried out. The engine hopefully hasn't seized, I doubt it has but I'd still be inclined to manually turn the crank to make sure. I'd bet that car needs less than $1000 worth of parts, and if you can do the work yourself you'll enjoy the car a lot more. The paint is 50/50, it might polish out, it might be shot. No real way to tell form the pictures. You could do a "good enough" paint job for like $300-400, even if it was just plastidip.

Truthfully, if there was ever a C4 you could make money by restoring, it's that one. The car had 49k miles on it. Sorted and cleaned up, that car has potential to be a solid $7500 or more car.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:56 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Good point on the torque - I was reading up on the early engines today. I really hope I wind up with an early one.

Here's a laugh for you:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4791993646.html

What's that worth, maybe $500? I'm pretty sure I even see a broken targa top...
My first ride in a C4 (or any sports car) was my uncle's '87 when I was a kid. That L98 burble got in my blood. And so did the digidash. Haha.

Boy... you brought out the wolves here poking fun at that '84. I agree though. $3k is too steep for that pile. Parked in 1990?! Seriously. Resto project, sure. But at half or less of the asking price. The '84 is a historical car, though.

I can thank my wife for it - she was going with me to drive her car back home and follow me in my new 'vette. But she was running late .. if she'd gotten in the shower faster, I'd have been in the car driving that 160 miles - and I'd only given him my landline number. I can sure see your scenario - the other guy driving my car away as I arrived.
Eesh. I really hope the same scenario doesn't hit with me (I'm looking at C4's either short-roadtrip or short-flight distance). I'd want to have a lot of communication via cell phone to make sure it's a done deal/gentleman's agreement.

Originally Posted by Philsphan
Yep I would nerd out for hours too thinking of a c4 collection... Im gonna give you a rough draft of my ideal c4 collection lol... I have an 88 35th.. so I would add a red on red 89, black or red 90 zr1, 92 red or black coupe, 93 40th anniversary, 95 zr1, 96 LT4 or grandsport... That about sums it up also a late 80s Callaway c4 cant believe I forgot that.. not with the hood and other stuff there were c4s that looked like regular c4s just had the cooler callaway wheels and the turbos...
We are kindreds.

It depends how realistic/unrealistic the terms are on the collection. When it comes to the unrealistic/Jay Leno size garage scenario, well, I basically think I should just make model cars and put them on shelves to feed my need to have every C4. But in terms of having 2 or 3 C4's, I look at it this way: I want an auto, 6 speed, and 4+3. Early and late body styles. 3 interior styles. ZR1, coupe and vert. L98, LT1/4, LT5 (would entertain crossfire if the right '84 presented itself). And 3 different original wheels (any combo of turbines, salad shooters, sawblades, and ZR1 or GS 5 spokes). Obviously, all would be different color combos.

Then we could start analyzing how to make that happen for most variability. And I would say my absolute dream car is a Quasar ZR1, so that's limited to '90-'93 and takes care of the 6 speed, that particular interior style, and the LT5 obviously. I could go all day (and night) on this. ...That's what she said.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 499 Posts

Wow, I can't believe that '84 was parked when it was 6 years old
Old 12-14-2014, 04:36 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Philsphan
Man. I feel like a piker - I only wanted ONE!

However .. yea .. a nice ZR1 .. mmmm ..
Old 12-14-2014, 04:40 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Wow, I can't believe that '84 was parked when it was 6 years old
Yea .. no kidding. And not only that, look at it's condition. The seat bolsters are pretty badly worn and it's just dirty. Like it was a daily driver for 40k miles and just .. left to rot. It's got a "salvage title" too though, so I'd have to know what's up with that. He's not returned my inquiries yet .. we'll see, I guess.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:02 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'd say that car is pretty fairly priced at 3k. It's still a stick shift Corvette, and so it's always going to have more value than you'd expect because SOMEONE out there will get it running and cleaned up.
I did finally get hold of the owner. Or actually his agent, more or less. Seems that some 30 years ago the guy got married, and wound up needing a car that would take kids and family. So, he parked this car and just never went back to it. Imagine, a 20k car just sitting gathering rust. So, fast forward 30 years - he's sold his house and no longer has room for this car. He's also lost the keys .. so they BREAK the targa top so they can get into it. They get keys, and haul it off, and his "nephew in law" gives him a place to park it and sell it for him. Unfortunately, he's stuck on the $3k price tag. Guy says he might be able to talk his uncle down to 2500, but even that is iffy.

So, long story short, I'm not interested in it for $3000 or even $2500. I'd be more than happy to act as a "looker" if someone was serious about buying this car. It's about 160 miles from me, so it's not exactly close, but I'd be willing to help facilitate.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea .. no kidding. And not only that, look at it's condition. The seat bolsters are pretty badly worn and it's just dirty. Like it was a daily driver for 40k miles and just .. left to rot. It's got a "salvage title" too though, so I'd have to know what's up with that. He's not returned my inquiries yet .. we'll see, I guess.
Oh - and the salvage title is really just a "lost title". He says they thought it would be easier to call it "salvage" than lost. My wife works for the licensing bureau - I don't think it's that hard to file for a lost title.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Oh - and the salvage title is really just a "lost title". He says they thought it would be easier to call it "salvage" than lost. My wife works for the licensing bureau - I don't think it's that hard to file for a lost title.
At 2k that car was a no brainer if all it needed was a hood and it was then drivable.

where i am from, that car is worth 8k.

but i am in canada.

sad the seller pooched you.

on a great note, i just bought 4 brand new c6 stock rims for $200. amazing. i am getting the bolt on spacers and they are going on my 87 or 85.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

on a great note, i just bought 4 brand new c6 stock rims for $200. amazing. i am getting the bolt on spacers and they are going on my 87 or 85.
Gotta love getting good deals!

..and .. actually GETTING said good deals.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
As far as what could have gone wrong in that time... all the weather stripping is likely bad. You may have some seals that are dried out. The engine hopefully hasn't seized, I doubt it has but I'd still be inclined to manually turn the crank to make sure. I'd bet that car needs less than $1000 worth of parts, and if you can do the work yourself you'll enjoy the car a lot more. The paint is 50/50, it might polish out, it might be shot. No real way to tell form the pictures. You could do a "good enough" paint job for like $300-400, even if it was just plastidip.
That paint will not polish out - the clear coat is gone. The weather stripping will be shot, like you said. There will be dried out seals, as you also said. You left out some things, such as the radiator will probably be junk, the tires are way too old and will need replacing, the brake,master cylinder and calipers will be full of rust, and if the clutch is hydraulic the master and slave cylinders will be shot. The driver's seat needs some work. I would think one would be lucky to get away with $ 5000.00 going in it, with a very mediocre paint job. And it needs a targa top.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,491 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
That paint will not polish out - the clear coat is gone. The weather stripping will be shot, like you said. There will be dried out seals, as you also said. You left out some things, such as the radiator will probably be junk, the tires are way too old and will need replacing, the brake,master cylinder and calipers will be full of rust, and if the clutch is hydraulic the master and slave cylinders will be shot. The driver's seat needs some work. I would think one would be lucky to get away with $ 5000.00 going in it, with a very mediocre paint job. And it needs a targa top.
I was thinking there was a chance it was a single stage paint, simply due to the age of the car. If it's single stage, it should polish out. If it's basecoat-clearcoat, it needs new clearcoat at a minimum, but most people would likely go for a full respray.

Tires are a good point that I figured was obvious. The fuel system as well will likely need work, if you're lucky it'll be just a fuel filter or fuel pump, if you're unlucky it will be the whole fuel system.

I'd probably replace the brake lines to be on the safe side, and the calipers would likely need rebuilt. Master cylinder I'd say is a chance, depends where the water that gets sucked up into the fluid ends up. You also might be looking at new brake hard lines too.

Every fluid on the car will need replaced. There's some big unknowns though, the cylinders for the brakes and clutch would make big differences in the resto budget. Regardless, at $2500 it's a profitable parts car at a minimum, and I still think that for someone with the skills and time to diy, they've got a good chance to turn a profit on it. Especially if they can get a clear title sorted out.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:08 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Wellllll .. I really hate to say anything since I jumped the gun earlier, but it LOOKS like I have another one bought.

'84 red with Z51 package, automatic - don't get too excited.

It's in nice shape, the interior is nice. The paint is not so hot, in fact he's plasti-dipped it. Which I never really heard of until like two days ago. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person - I'll be (he sounds like a straight shooter) picking it up next Saturday. Comes with a set of wheels AND a set of '84 originals as well. And some additional stuff he bought for it that he never got around to installing, like new speakers etc.

Here's his description:
1984 Corvette Z51 Handling Package, 700R4 shift kit, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Refurbished Digital dash, cat delete pipe included. This car has been my daily driver for about a year. It Handles and drives great, sounds awesome. The exterior will need paint and body, interior is in good shape. Car will come with extra set of rims and tires and some misc interior things.

And a couple pics:

Last edited by MaxDaemon; 12-14-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Pure idiocy...
Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

I almost feel like we're developing a pattern where we're all gonna be saying, "There goes MaxDaemon again..."

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea at all. Rough paint but if the rest is good, well, that's basically what you're looking for.

When you say original sawblades, I assume you mean the 84's turbines? (Usually the 91-96 wheels are referred to as the sawblades)

A-side: Those 5-spoke ZR1-style wheels... did they come off of a 4th gen SS Camaro? Its grainy but I think I see the SS logo on the center of the right front.

Last edited by JD Shredds; 12-14-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So I just bought another Corvette ..

Old 12-14-2014, 11:34 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I almost feel like we're developing a pattern where we're all gonna be saying, "There goes MaxDaemon again..."

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea at all. Rough paint but if the rest is good, well, that's basically what you're looking for.

When you say original sawblades, I assume you mean the 84's turbines? (Usually the 91-96 wheels are referred to as the sawblades)

A-side: Those 5-spoke ZR1-style wheels... did they come off of a 4th gen SS Camaro? Its grainy but I think I see the SS logo on the center of the right front.
Yes! I'm an idiot .. I'll have to take a primer course in Corvette wheels.

And yes, those wheels did indeed come off a Camaro - in fact, he's keeping those wheels. I'll be getting the original <blush> turbines with the car, and a second set of .. well .. I don't really know yet!

..there goes Max again ..
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Yes! I'm an idiot .. I'll have to take a primer course in Corvette wheels.

And yes, those wheels did indeed come off a Camaro - in fact, he's keeping those wheels. I'll be getting the original <blush> turbines with the car, and a second set of .. well .. I don't really know yet!

..there goes Max again ..
Hey, its just as embarrassing that I'm the guy on the forum correcting another guy for the nickname he used on a specific set of wheels. I'm a complete nerd.

Ahh, well I hope the turbines are in decent shape. The 5 spokes look pretty smooth on there, but the turbines can spit and polish up pretty good, actually. Plenty of examples of DIY on the forums for that.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:59 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey, its just as embarrassing that I'm the guy on the forum correcting another guy for the nickname he used on a specific set of wheels. I'm a complete nerd.

Ahh, well I hope the turbines are in decent shape. The 5 spokes look pretty smooth on there, but the turbines can spit and polish up pretty good, actually. Plenty of examples of DIY on the forums for that.
Kinda funny, actually. He has two them .. in his living room. As decorations. Said they cleaned up so nice he kept them there.

Obviously, he's single.

Quick Reply: So I just bought another Corvette ..