C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So I just bought another Corvette ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:09 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Kinda funny, actually. He has two them .. in his living room. As decorations. Said they cleaned up so nice he kept them there.

Obviously, he's single.
lmao

Yeah, don't think my wife would fly with that. Then again... No, no, she wouldn't.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Default how much for the 84 max?

i love hearing what we are all paying to track the values of these cars. i am in canada and they are pricier up here than in the usa but still.

i have found 2 up here for less than 3k but they were heaps of garbage with "no title".
Old 12-15-2014, 12:35 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i love hearing what we are all paying to track the values of these cars. i am in canada and they are pricier up here than in the usa but still.

i have found 2 up here for less than 3k but they were heaps of garbage with "no title".
2600, if you can believe it. He's been fighting those weird Craigslist zombies and bad luck with meeting up with a buyer for nearly two months .. he just wants to get it over with. For my part, I may get burned later on, but I can't see a relatively unmolested '84 for $2600 hurting me too bad.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:43 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Default great price!!

i have chosen to focus in on the L98 but boy is that a nice price.

is the red the plasti dipped color?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:08 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i have chosen to focus in on the L98 but boy is that a nice price.

is the red the plasti dipped color?
Yup, it's plasti red, but it's red under it too. I'll be tempted to peel the Plasti off it this summer, but heck, since I'm planning on leaving her out in the weather, that stuff might be the best thing for it.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

$2600 sounds like pretty damn good deal. What do you know in regards to the electrical and mechanical condition of the car?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
$2600 sounds like pretty damn good deal. What do you know in regards to the electrical and mechanical condition of the car?
Sounds pretty good. The guy that has it seems to have bought it about a year ago with the intent of doing a lot of work on it - however, like myself he had great plans and they slowly drifted away. He did quite a bit on it, such as new starter and apparently the shift kit, rebuilt the digital dash etc. Unfortunately for him, he's gotten less interested and he's apparently paying "big city" pricing for a second parking spot at his condo. I assume since that would run $250 or more in San Francisco, it would be somewhat comparable in Seattle. Even a couple hundred a month runs into some real money after a year or so. He did mention that he drives it a couple times a week, and he keeps it garaged most of the time in between.

He put the PlastiDip on it as an alternative to a Maaco paint job. I'm happy about that, since I think it would be harder to follow Maaco than PlastiDip if I decided to repaint it. All that overspray and painted-over bugs.

I shouldn't say that, I had a Maaco paint job on one of my Fieros and it was still looking good six or seven years later.

In the end, $2600 doesn't buy a lot of anything. I"m hoping that my vision of driving it a couple thousand miles a year will allow it to last me for a long time. I'll be gentle ..
Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Sounds pretty good. The guy that has it seems to have bought it about a year ago with the intent of doing a lot of work on it - however, like myself he had great plans and they slowly drifted away. He did quite a bit on it, such as new starter and apparently the shift kit, rebuilt the digital dash etc. Unfortunately for him, he's gotten less interested and he's apparently paying "big city" pricing for a second parking spot at his condo. I assume since that would run $250 or more in San Francisco, it would be somewhat comparable in Seattle. Even a couple hundred a month runs into some real money after a year or so. He did mention that he drives it a couple times a week, and he keeps it garaged most of the time in between.

He put the PlastiDip on it as an alternative to a Maaco paint job. I'm happy about that, since I think it would be harder to follow Maaco than PlastiDip if I decided to repaint it. All that overspray and painted-over bugs.

I shouldn't say that, I had a Maaco paint job on one of my Fieros and it was still looking good six or seven years later.

In the end, $2600 doesn't buy a lot of anything. I"m hoping that my vision of driving it a couple thousand miles a year will allow it to last me for a long time. I'll be gentle ..
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic on that one. Seems like it isn't THAT far off from being a solid car with a little more work and money. Let's just hope it isn't hiding a crapload of gremlins that won't stop breeding. But jeeze man, I'm still aggressively on the market for my first C4, and thanks to you I'm already thinking about my 2nd C4. Look what you've done! My wife will be thrilled.

And indeed, SF costs are crazy because of the density (so little land, so much demand). I lived 100 miles up I-80 in the Sacramento area for 25 years (my folks still live there), and that is in part due to the difference in cost of living, among other reasons.

Oh btw, you might want to reconsider. I found a steal on an '85: http://www.vast.com/cars/detail/-878780036839735887

Last edited by JD Shredds; 12-15-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I always miss out on the really great deals - the body mods on that one must have set him back a lot of bucks! He did a great job though!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:43 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I think $2600 is a good deal for that car man!! And you will get to feel the amazing handling of an 84 with the Z51 suspension! They really are awesome, unlike any other C4. You'll see the difference the first time you drive the car. Two quick ways (other than the RPO sticker) to confirm that its a Z51:

-Two turns lock to lock on the steering
-Small silver sticker on the front spring near that shock that reads "BMB"
Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I think $2600 is a good deal for that car man!! And you will get to feel the amazing handling of an 84 with the Z51 suspension! They really are awesome, unlike any other C4. You'll see the difference the first time you drive the car. Two quick ways (other than the RPO sticker) to confirm that its a Z51:

-Two turns lock to lock on the steering
-Small silver sticker on the front spring near that shock that reads "BMB"
I was pretty pleased to wind up with a true classic - the '84. I've been looking around and even ones more or less in this ones class for condition and mileage are still at least $1000 more.

I'll crawl under and check next week - at least even if the sticker is gone, the steering should show it.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:38 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

When are you picking the car up?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

That's a heck of a steal.

My car was originally red. I've thought about plastidipping it red at some point.

Congrats!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
When are you picking the car up?
We'll be driving over Saturday morning - over the mountains. I really hope the weather cooperates by not dumping too much snow on the passes. It'll take a lot to make me abort the mission, but it's possible, of course.

At any rate, I should be able to post pics of her playing in the snow.

And of the wrecker hauling her out of the ditch ..
Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
That's a heck of a steal.

My car was originally red. I've thought about plastidipping it red at some point.

Congrats!
I had no idea what the PlastiDip even was until I got this car - he idly dropped that he'd done that instead of Maaco and I started doing some research. I don't think the process is for everyone, but it sure looks like some cars would have vast benefit from it.

In this case, the car was originally red, so it's not a bad idea. I WILL need to peel it though, if only to find out how bad the underlying paint is. Since it's my "beater daily driver" 'vette, I plan on practicing painting on it next summer. The Plasti color just will never look like a perfectly waxed 'vette.

Meanwhile - geez, it just seems to me a couple coats of clear PlastiDip on the front end would be a LOT better than any bra, and when it starts looking a little iffy, just pull it off and recoat.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:31 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Bump for an update with pictures.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bump for an update with pictures.
<mutters> everyone wants something. like expecting me to have good tires on a long trip. <grumble mumble>

Oh, hey! Hi!

Uh .. pictures. Sure!

Snowy train trip to Seattle.

She's a looker .. from .. erm .. 15 feet. Maybe 20.

Nice day for a drive.

Five miles from home. Spooky, huh?

Safely home ..

Get notified of new replies

To So I just bought another Corvette ..

Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Now .. about those tires. I'm a poster child for living dangerously.

Geez. Take a look:

Last edited by MaxDaemon; 12-22-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:48 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

And this .. can I fix this with bondo? Grind it out and fill it, or do I need to patch it with fiberglas patch?

This is on the back, right above the passenger side tail lights.

Last edited by MaxDaemon; 12-22-2014 at 01:48 AM. Reason: More clarity added.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

That was a quick response! Looks good for a "beater" though. Glad you got home safely.. especially with those tires.

Quick Reply: So I just bought another Corvette ..