C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So I just bought another Corvette ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So I just bought another Corvette ..

Scary .. after having a Corvette for two months, and not wanting to drive her in the winter - I hit on the idea of buying ANOTHER one to drive in the winter. One that wasn't so pristine.

So today I'm picking up this one:

I got it for $2250. It's a '92 with 110k miles, and I'm getting a replacement hood with it for another $250. The damage is all in the hood, the car is completely drivable and the headlight even still works.

I think I got a deal .. or I hope I got a deal.

Any comment?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Scary .. after having a Corvette for two months, and not wanting to drive her in the winter - I hit on the idea of buying ANOTHER one to drive in the winter. One that wasn't so pristine.

I got it for $2250. It's a '92 with 110k miles, and I'm getting a replacement hood with it for another $250. The damage is all in the hood, the car is completely drivable and the headlight even still works.

Any comment?
RATVETTE...Not a bad idea...
Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You'll really enjoy the hell out of a car that you can park at walmart and leave out in the rain. I kind of miss my first C4.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:27 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Not a great deal, looks like it was well taken care of. $250 hood is a great deal! Currently, If your patient you can find Automatics up to 95 Between 3,5 - 5,5 especially 90,000 & up.
It does make a new term for winter beater... must be nice.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

..crap.

Guy just called me, someone came by his house and offered him 2500 for it, and he sold it to them. I'm 2 hours away from him...

Personally, if I promise something to someone, I sell it to them for that price.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Beaters are great no worries about dings scratches someone swiping it etc. Looking at one myself Mon hopefully.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

That's too bad it sold like that. I admire how much you love your other C4 to make you want a beater C4. Wasn't a bad deal.

That's not cool, man. I'm working with a guy 4 hours drive away, so I sure hope he doesn't pull a stunt like that -ESPECIALLY while I'm on the way. But if you come to a gentleman's agreement... come on.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I'd love to get a nice 1990-1992 vette but I only have 1 garage space : ( The LT1 started in 93 right?? I'd like the last year of the L98.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Any comment?
I think that was a very good price. Sucks you missed out. C4s with a stick are $5000 cars minimum, LT1s go for even more than that. An LT1 C4 at all starts at like $4500.

I've got a '92 6 speed (first year for LT1), it's got Z51 suspension parts now. Love the car. I was originally looking for an 89-90 to get the ZF6 transmission and an L98 engine, but I'm glad I got the LT1 now. I bought it to be a track toy, but the car is so damn fun I find myself driving it all the time, even over my C6GS.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thegame
I'd love to get a nice 1990-1992 vette but I only have 1 garage space : ( The LT1 started in 93 right?? I'd like the last year of the L98.
I only have one garage space too - thus the "not so pristine daily driver" idea. I'll be on the watch .. I'll have one by February or March.

Technically I have a two car garage, but my WIFE seems to want to park her car in one of the slots. The nerve, eh?

I will say, she is very nice about it. Come May, she parks her Mini outside and lets me have the other half of the garage to work on stuff through the summer, then I have to give it back in late October. Works great, really.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:56 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think that was a very good price. Sucks you missed out. C4s with a stick are $5000 cars minimum, LT1s go for even more than that. An LT1 C4 at all starts at like $4500.]
Beautiful car, man. I'm continually amazed at how good these 20-30 year old cars still LOOK.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

I like the idea of a rough C4 (that's mechanically sound), and with the prices these days, it really could almost be called "practical," 2 seater and "Corvette-tax" not withstanding.

Originally Posted by thegame
I only have 1 garage space, too (and close on a '93 to take the place of my DD in there). There's an 8 ft ladder leaning against the wall that will definitely see its exit before I pull my C4 in there.

The LT1 started in 1992 and also introduced ASR (ie traction control). I've always found the progression of the C4 quite cool, especially 88-92. Pretty different cars despite only 4 years apart and built on the same platform. Don't get me started on my dreams of a C4 collection. I'll nerd out for hours.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:09 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Sorry about missing out on the car, but it is a good plan.

I had the same thoughts a while back. I looked for one ('88 A4) that was priced right (cheap) and drove it year round for 2.5 years and 45k miles. Sold it for about what I paid for it since I wanted a 6 speed. I found another that was priced right ('94 6M) and drove it for about 2.5 years and 45k miles and sold it for about what I paid.

Both were not show cars, but were nice drivers and they made my commute a lot more enjoyable. I actually looked forward to the 100 mile per day commute. Although they were both daily drivers, I still tried to take care of them and still parked away from others to avoid door dings, etc.

For me your plan of a lower cost daily driver worked out great. They even served as economy cars with about 30 mpg on the highway.

It is a good plan, so don't give up on it. Keep looking for the right car for your purpose.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:27 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I like the idea of a rough C4 (that's mechanically sound), and with the prices these days, it really could almost be called "practical," 2 seater and "Corvette-tax" not withstanding.

I only have 1 garage space, too (and close on a '93 to take the place of my DD in there). There's an 8 ft ladder leaning against the wall that will definitely see its exit before I pull my C4 in there.
Driving something with some power gets into your blood - it was a beautiful day today for the first time in weeks and I took the girl out for a little trip, then washed her and put her back in the garage again. I have a feeling that's the last time she'll see sunshine until late Spring.

Ya think I'll miss that HP if I get an '87 instead of a 93? 60hp is pretty significant, but I do like the idea of having the "older" style C4 in addition to my 94.

And yes, definitely some "Child proofing" in the garage before parking my baby in there. It's amazing how many things "might" fall on her that I never even thought about before...
Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QCVette
For me your plan of a lower cost daily driver worked out great. They even served as economy cars with about 30 mpg on the highway.

It is a good plan, so don't give up on it. Keep looking for the right car for your purpose.
For the money, I can get a really FUN 3k or less car that still gets 28mpg .. or I can have a used Kia. What would you choose?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Driving something with some power gets into your blood - it was a beautiful day today for the first time in weeks and I took the girl out for a little trip, then washed her and put her back in the garage again. I have a feeling that's the last time she'll see sunshine until late Spring.

Ya think I'll miss that HP if I get an '87 instead of a 93? 60hp is pretty significant, but I do like the idea of having the "older" style C4 in addition to my 94.

And yes, definitely some "Child proofing" in the garage before parking my baby in there. It's amazing how many things "might" fall on her that I never even thought about before...
I bet. Out here in the desert there isn't much of a winter to speak of, other than some chilly temps and occasional showers. Its the summer you gotta look out for. And I'm looking at buying a car with the glass top... Derp. At the very least, the owner has a shade cover installed in there.

I couldn't tell ya if you'll miss the HP, but that L98 does bring some major torque to the party. It doesn't keep pulling the way the LT1 does, but it puts you into the seatback just the same. If you look at the powerbands, the L98 hits hard early but fades as RPMs rise, while the LT1 is solidly strong throughout the powerband. And speaking of this discussion, we sound quite alike. At the end of the day I want one early and one late styled C4. I love both styles.

I have a crappy ol' Camry sitting in the garage right now, so I could care less if the ladder has an "accident." Ok, so that wouldn't help the tiny bit of resale value left, but still. Soon, there will be no Camry and no ladder. Make way for the mighty Vette.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:57 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

..crap.

Guy just called me, someone came by his house and offered him 2500 for it, and he sold it to them. I'm 2 hours away from him...

Personally, if I promise something to someone, I sell it to them for that price.
Oh I hate people like that. At least he called you, on more than one occasion, I have drug a trailer 90 miles to watch someone else load the car up as I get there. I almost didn't even bother with my 92 since I was about 70 miles away, but the guy told me he would hold it for me.

Get notified of new replies

To So I just bought another Corvette ..

Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I couldn't tell ya if you'll miss the HP, but that L98 does bring some major torque to the party. It doesn't keep pulling the way the LT1 does, but it puts you into the seatback just the same. If you look at the powerbands, the L98 hits hard early but fades as RPMs rise, while the LT1 is solidly strong throughout the powerband. And speaking of this discussion, we sound quite alike. At the end of the day I want one early and one late styled C4. I love both styles.
:
Good point on the torque - I was reading up on the early engines today. I really hope I wind up with an early one.

Here's a laugh for you:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4791993646.html

What's that worth, maybe $500? I'm pretty sure I even see a broken targa top...
Old 12-14-2014, 02:55 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JC316
Oh I hate people like that. At least he called you, on more than one occasion, I have drug a trailer 90 miles to watch someone else load the car up as I get there. I almost didn't even bother with my 92 since I was about 70 miles away, but the guy told me he would hold it for me.
I can thank my wife for it - she was going with me to drive her car back home and follow me in my new 'vette. But she was running late .. if she'd gotten in the shower faster, I'd have been in the car driving that 160 miles - and I'd only given him my landline number. I can sure see your scenario - the other guy driving my car away as I arrived.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:11 AM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I can thank my wife for it - she was going with me to drive her car back home and follow me in my new 'vette. But she was running late .. if she'd gotten in the shower faster, I'd have been in the car driving that 160 miles - and I'd only given him my landline number. I can sure see your scenario - the other guy driving my car away as I arrived.
Good for her then lol. Last time it happened, I cussed the guy for everything I was worth. I was 10 minutes late thanks to road construction, I even told him about this, but he still sold it out from under me. I get that some people are unreliable, but if someone is in constant contact with me, I will hold it.

I wont hardly mess with anything further away than 40 miles for this very reason.

Quick Reply: So I just bought another Corvette ..