C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

electrical or bad grounds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
c4nate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical or bad grounds?

Hey fellas I have a few problems with my c4. A few months ago I droppped my engine back in my vette (1985 stock), I noticed that my oil pressure drops to 5psi and my coolant temps rise when I turn my heat on. The oil pressure runs normal with the heat off. 2 When I first start the vehicle my voltage light comes on and reads 11.9-13.2 battery is new and reads 14.2 with a volt meter.3 if I give it full throttle from a light it boggs down as if its going to shut down then it just taks off like a bat outta hell...Is my problem caused by a bad ground or an electrical issue?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Sounds like a grounding issue, but check the FSM (of course you have one, right???) to see if those trouble circuits share a common ground.

Hopefully (and I'd guess likely) it is a grounding issue. But, the FSM will shed light on individual circuits too, should more than one circuit be involved. (That way you can break it up and T/S one problem at a time, is my point!)

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

All of the grounds associated with the engine are on G104, which is located on the side of the block above the oil filter:

The voltage light will come on if the voltage is below 11.5 volts. If that happens while the engine is running it usually means that your alternator is not working or the connection between the alternator and the battery is bad.

Your bog might be a TPS problem.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 PM
c4nate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Thanks fellas I will check my grounds and tps this weekend and get back to you, and no I dont have a (FSM) im going to have to find one on the net. I work at a Chevrolet dealership and they got rid of all the manuals and books on 80's vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To electrical or bad grounds?

Quick Reply: electrical or bad grounds?