C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

question about a '96 CE

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default question about a '96 CE

I am interested in buying a '96 CE. The seller has unreal expectations of the value; he states that "it is a CE, highly collectible and valuable".

In my opinion only the '86 yellow pace car, GS and ZR-1 are collectible C4 models.

Does anyone agree with me that the '96 CE is a really nice C4, but nothing more? Not sure how I can convince the seller to lower his asking price...

Thanks,

C
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM
sactorandy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my CE because it wasn't red or black. I wanted a white w/black interior Corvette but there weren't any that didn't have high miles. I love this car but don't think it is more valuable than the base cars. I paid $10k w/ 60,000 miles last year.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:50 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

They're beautiful cars, but not highly collectable or valuable unless it has less than 10k miles and is museum quality. Think history doesn't repeat itself? Look at what average condition 78 Silver anniversary cars (the two tone silver ones) are going for....they were once thought of as "highly collectible and valuable" too. You can't reason with people like that, move on. Eventually he get tired of trying to sell it, and trade it CarMax for a 5 year old Kia and tell people he got $20k for it on trade.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by zr1fred
They're beautiful cars, but not highly collectable or valuable unless it has less than 10k miles and is museum quality. Think history doesn't repeat itself? Look at what average condition 78 Silver anniversary cars (the two tone silver ones) are going for....they were once thought of as "highly collectible and valuable" too. You can't reason with people like that, move on. Eventually he get tired of trying to sell it, and trade it CarMax for a 5 year old Kia and tell people he got $20k for it on trade.
Thank you! Thats what I think.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The seller may have his own ideas about the "collectible" value of the Collector Edition so he may not be terribly interested in offers that don't meet his expectation. About all you can do is to make him a reasonable offer and if he doesn't accept, walk away.

About 1/4 of the '96 production run were Collector Edition cars so it's not a matter of low volume making it a true collectible vehicle. So there are probably a number of very good examples of that car available. It just takes time to search for a good example that meet your criteria and budget.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

There were 4031 Collector Edition coupes and 1381 'verts made in 1996. Nowhere near "rare", "low numbers", or "performance options only available on ..." - those terms usually define "highly collectible and valuable". The coupes made up approximately 23% of coupe production and the convertibles made up 32% of 'vert production. Again, not rare or low numbers. I would point that out to the owner.

I have a 1996 CE and harbor no illusions about it being a "highly collectible and valuable" car. I bought mine because it was the first C4 Corvette I found (after 6 months of looking) that was priced reasonably and the owner, after trying to sell it for months, was negotiable.

There are no special options other than badging and wheels that made it a better performer or rare compared to regular production 1996 Corvettes. And silver is not a rare color with over 5000 made. In my (highly subjective) opinion if there is any collectible CE in the future it may be the convertible with red interior and LT4 - there were only 68 made - the lowest production numbers among CE made (though the red interior convertible LT1 is not far behind at 73 and may also be considered). Considering the way C4s were treated over the years, the numbers by now could be considerably lower for both of those models. But it will probably take years or even decades for that to happen.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
There were 4031 Collector Edition coupes and 1381 'verts made in 1996. Nowhere near "rare", "low numbers", or "performance options only available on ..." - those terms usually define "highly collectible and valuable". The coupes made up approximately 23% of coupe production and the convertibles made up 32% of 'vert production. Again, not rare or low numbers. I would point that out to the owner.

I have a 1996 CE and harbor no illusions about it being a "highly collectible and valuable" car. I bought mine because it was the first C4 Corvette I found (after 6 months of looking) that was priced reasonably and the owner, after trying to sell it for months, was negotiable.

There are no special options other than badging and wheels that made it a better performer or rare compared to regular production 1996 Corvettes. And silver is not a rare color with over 5000 made. In my (highly subjective) opinion if there is any collectible CE in the future it may be the convertible with red interior and LT4 - there were only 68 made - the lowest production numbers among CE made (though the red interior convertible LT1 is not far behind at 73 and may also be considered). Considering the way C4s were treated over the years, the numbers by now could be considerably lower for both of those models. But it will probably take years or even decades for that to happen.
Great knowledge, knowledge = power in negotiations (i hope)

thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

If the owner touts the LT4 engine... here's some more food for thought.

From the Cor-vette Specs book;

LT4 engines - 6,359 engines produced total minus 1,000 for the Grand Sport = 5,359.
[That number includes Collector Editions and other (stock LT4) applications]

There was 2,009 LT4's in the Collector's edition... therefore reduces the number to 3,350 base Corvettes with the LT4/M6.

That sum leaves us with 52.7% as the majority of the LT4's being in the stock configuration - without a GS/CE specification.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:40 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by cormorant71
I"it is a CE, highly collectible and valuable".
That that sucker to come in here and discuss this issue. There is nothing collectible about the 5,412 RPO: Z15 produced in 1996. Maybe in the year 2050, but not in this upcoming decade.

I wonder if he is one of those snobs who buy cars, and stick them in a garage for 15+ years thinking it is an investment.

I have one, bought it for $3,500 as a project, and there is nothing stock left, but the ZF transmission.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

There is a sure fire way to convince him. Roll up in some other one that you bought cheaper.

There was a CE ragtop with F45 and LT4 for sale on this very forum last year for $15.5k. I drooled excessively.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:14 AM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 1996 Collector Edition Coupe. Basic LT1 /Auto.
Its silver with grey interior, and outside of the collector edition badges and painted spoke wheels, its nothing special over a base coupe.

It does have about every option available like power sport seats both sides, and a one off/one year sport suspension that you cannot buy replacement shocks for anymore. It is a beautiful and fun driving car that has given me very few problems.

Mine is what I would consider "Above average condition" with 126000 miles that go up almost daily. Its a great driver and I drive it!!!
I think Kelly has it for around 9K but I feel a realistic price for the car is around 6K. I will ask 6 and take 5500 cash. Good deal for everyone.

Not trying to sell my car, but giving you an idea of what is worth. Cars in the south will have more miles because we can drive them all year without snow. Don't over pay because it has some special badges on it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by PLRX
That that sucker to come in here and discuss this issue. There is nothing collectible about the 5,412 RPO: Z15 produced in 1996. Maybe in the year 2050, but not in this upcoming decade.

I wonder if he is one of those snobs who buy cars, and stick them in a garage for 15+ years thinking it is an investment.

I have one, bought it for $3,500 as a project, and there is nothing stock left, but the ZF transmission.

That is the exact color mods I want to do to it if i buy it. that looks awesome! thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
I own a 1996 Collector Edition Coupe. Basic LT1 /Auto.
Its silver with grey interior, and outside of the collector edition badges and painted spoke wheels, its nothing special over a base coupe.

It does have about every option available like power sport seats both sides, and a one off/one year sport suspension that you cannot buy replacement shocks for anymore. It is a beautiful and fun driving car that has given me very few problems.

Mine is what I would consider "Above average condition" with 126000 miles that go up almost daily. Its a great driver and I drive it!!!
I think Kelly has it for around 9K but I feel a realistic price for the car is around 6K. I will ask 6 and take 5500 cash. Good deal for everyone.

Not trying to sell my car, but giving you an idea of what is worth. Cars in the south will have more miles because we can drive them all year without snow. Don't over pay because it has some special badges on it.
Thank you, that sounds realistic, I hope I can get him to come down to Earth.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

For me the biggest pull of the CE is the LT4 of course, and the silver paint. No silver Corvettes were made from '88 until the CE.

My '86 is silver with red interior. No better colors for a Corvette in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

So the real question is, what do you consider "unrealistic"? it's possible he is fairly priced and you're busting his ***** with a lowball number. An LT4 car in good shape and reasonable miles is a $10k car easily, possibly more.

I don't think the yellow pace cars are worth any more personally, only the GS and the ZR-1 have collector status IMO.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by cormorant71
That is the exact color mods I want to do to it if i buy it. that looks awesome! thanks for sharing!
sure

Get notified of new replies

To question about a '96 CE

Quick Reply: question about a '96 CE