C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 Intermittant window not going up or down

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Went
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 1989 Intermittant window not going up or down

Recently my driver's side window started acting erratic. It would either not go down, go down a fraction of an inch, 1/2 down then sometimes go up. The rocker switch was falling apart so I bought a new one and installed it. The window worked great for a couple days. This morning the window wouldn't go down. I toggled the new rocker back and forth and the window started working. The passenger side window started acting goofy some about the same time. Is there a possibility this could be a grounding issue? The intermittent nature of it?

Thanks, Went
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Went
Recently my driver's side window started acting erratic. It would either not go down, go down a fraction of an inch, 1/2 down then sometimes go up. The rocker switch was falling apart so I bought a new one and installed it. The window worked great for a couple days. This morning the window wouldn't go down. I toggled the new rocker back and forth and the window started working. The passenger side window started acting goofy some about the same time. Is there a possibility this could be a grounding issue? The intermittent nature of it?

Thanks, Went
while i have not torn into mine (87, driver side toggle switch is dirty i think)yet, yours does sound like a ground issue. anybody know what ground(s) are tied into the window toggles?

i have the electricalsupplement for my 87 ill report back if i can find any mention of the grounds for these toggles.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

here you go. procedure for checking wiring, switches, and motors. this is from an 87 but can't be far off. i will be doing my driver window which went out much the same way u describe yours has.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Intermittant window not going up or down

Quick Reply: 1989 Intermittant window not going up or down