C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Antenna replacement/repair 92 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
vette118
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Antenna replacement/repair 92 convertible

The antenna ribbon apparently finally broke or otherwise became useless. So I get the replament ribbon and small tool from Ecklers. After a struggle, I get the tool to fit over the hidden nut on top and get it out. The next step is to pull the antenna and ribbon out. I can extend the antenna the entire length, but it's stuck and won't come out. Any suggestions on that? (I do realize that the mast and ribbon repair kit is not the 100% cure-all, and that some broken ribbons/masts cannot be repaired this way)
Plan B: Can I just remove the whole assembly from below, take it apart and try to put the replacement mast and ribbon in?

Also, Ecklers tells me that replacement motors for 1992 are not available. UGH! Does anyone now if another year will fit?
Thanks.
Rick
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Rick, try this, item #3 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-antenna.html It's not that hard to rebuild the motor or replace the ribbon, take it out from the bottom. Charlie
Old 12-19-2014, 05:23 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

The problem is the electrical connection to the antenna motor. In the coupe the connector is under the large rear trim tray...no idea where it is on a 'Vert...but suspect that it is hidden somewhere back there.

And there is a large rubber grommet on the backwall; comes out easy....not so easy back in.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:53 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Just a humble suggestion........ no need to remove any item from the vette for access to the motor. Position yourself with your head looking up into the fender well, and your body extended out perpendicular to the car so that your arms and hands have free movement around the motor.

FIRST ITEM..... CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE FENDER LIP REMOVING ALL THE DRIED MUD, ETC. SO THAT DEBRIS DOESN'T FALL INTO YOUR EYES AND FACE.

Last edited by don hall; 12-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
FIRST ITEM..... CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE FENDER LIP REMOVING ALL THE DRIED MUD, ETC. SO THAT DEBRIS DOESN'T FALL INTO YOUR EYES AND FACE.
<blinks repeatedly and spits out debris> And why didn't you say that in the FIRST sentence!

Seriously though, is that pretty universal positioning for all years? I hadn't found the place to get hold of my '94 antenna yet, and I need to take it out to lube it or something. Mine leaves about six inches sticking up.

And no, I hadn't Googled it yet.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:42 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vette118

Also, Ecklers tells me that replacement motors for 1992 are not available. UGH! Does anyone now if another year will fit?
Thanks.
Rick
I have a "HIT AUTA 2040" from Hirschmann Automatic Antenna (German company) which is supposed to be a universal one. I bought it for my '93 Cadillac and sold the car before I got around to using it. It's "supposed" to fit my '94 Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna replacement/repair 92 convertible

Quick Reply: Antenna replacement/repair 92 convertible