C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weather seals replacement, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weather seals replacement, opinions

Hi Guys, gonna replace all of the seals on my 86. I have been reading around and heard good stuff about the Wilcox sets. Anybody wanna chime in on that? I would hate to get a cheap set that is to hard or doesn't line up right. The job is difficult enough without having to fight manufacturing problems.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:33 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Just make certain that the brand of weatherstrip provided is the CRC (Corvette Rubber Co.) brand and not a lesser known or inferior product. You may have to communicate that with the vendor of choice prior to placing your order.

Additionally, you could use the "Search" function here to see numerous posts and topics about which brand to use, and any issues you may encounter during the replacement process.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,793 Likes on 664 Posts

I got the Halo/B pillar strip and the targa top sides from Wilcox this past spring and am very happy with their product. When you remove the old WS take the time to properly clean out the "mounting channels" as best you can and test fit everything twice. Leaving the WS out in the sun for a couple of hours is a great idea as it make it a bit more pliable and easier to work with. I didn't use any adhesive on the halo/b-pillar section and have had no issues but did use it on the ends of the targa top sides. Might be a good idea to rub some dielectric grease (silicon) on the backsides of the new WS prior to install (however if you're going to use adhesive in those areas then forego that part).

astepup said that
Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Thanks guys. CRC from Wilcox it is then.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

The only rubber I have replaced on my car is one targa strip that had a chunk torn from it. I tried Metro- blech, impossible. I called Willcox and they sold me one side. Fit great first time and looks good. I spent my time and prepped well and dry fit twice.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Originally Posted by astepup
I got the Halo/B pillar strip and the targa top sides from Wilcox this past spring and am very happy with their product. When you remove the old WS take the time to properly clean out the "mounting channels" as best you can and test fit everything twice. Leaving the WS out in the sun for a couple of hours is a great idea as it make it a bit more pliable and easier to work with. I didn't use any adhesive on the halo/b-pillar section and have had no issues but did use it on the ends of the targa top sides. Might be a good idea to rub some dielectric grease (silicon) on the backsides of the new WS prior to install (however if you're going to use adhesive in those areas then forego that part).

astepup said that

Sounds like this job might be easier in the summer time. Not much sun this time of year. I will at least have the get the rear lid seal in though as it is half gone. This car is going to be a driver and won't get a spot in the garage. At least till I get my 91 GTA done.

Get notified of new replies

To Weather seals replacement, opinions

Quick Reply: Weather seals replacement, opinions