Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel woes ..

So .. I have a set of these waiting for me:

But these are already on the car, and they've kind of grown on me.

So, what do y'all think? Originals that came with this '84? Or the "dark horse unknown contender"?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think I would stay with the 17" wheels. It will be a problem down the road to find the early 255/50-16 tires. IIRC only BFG makes that size in a street tire. Much easier to find 275/40-17's.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:14 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

the wheels on there look pretty nice. The new ones look like good tires. Remember, there are a jillion vettes out there (including mine) that have the old factory wheels on them ,so if you want to look a bit different...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I think I would stay with the 17" wheels. It will be a problem down the road to find the early 255/50-16 tires. IIRC only BFG makes that size in a street tire. Much easier to find 275/40-17's.
Unfortunately the chrome ones are 16's too - if I had 17's I'd definitely keep them, as I have two tires from my '94 that would fit...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Well if you're stuck with 16s I'd stick with the chrome wheels.

The early C4 wheels...actually all of the C4 wheels save the A Molds I think look terrible compared to modern wheels, or even 'classic' five spokes.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:05 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Well if you're stuck with 16s I'd stick with the chrome wheels.

The early C4 wheels...actually all of the C4 wheels save the A Molds I think look terrible compared to modern wheels, or even 'classic' five spokes.
The chrome ones are pretty close to the ZR1 wheels, aren't they? I mean, besides being - well, you know, chrome.

I'd plan on putting 245/50-16's on them.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm honestly torn on this one. If the 5 spokes were the 17s, I'd say stick with those. But all things being equal in that regard, ehhhh. Matter of taste, really. For me, since its an '84 I think I would always feel an itch to make it as original as possible. But if you don't like the original turbines, stick with the 5 spokes. Or, if you truly can't decide, just leave it as is and think on it for a while.

At the end of the day, run the wheels YOU prefer. We can spout off our opinions all day and it not matter if you have a preference.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I honestly didn't like the look of my stock 86 wheels at first, but they grew on me. Now I think they match the design of the car very well. It's what you like that matters.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I'm honestly torn on this one. If the 5 spokes were the 17s, I'd say stick with those. But all things being equal in that regard, ehhhh. Matter of taste, really. For me, since its an '84 I think I would always feel an itch to make it as original as possible. But if you don't like the original turbines, stick with the 5 spokes. Or, if you truly can't decide, just leave it as is and think on it for a while.

At the end of the day, run the wheels YOU prefer. We can spout off our opinions all day and it not matter if you have a preference.
Well, people should understand that when they ask others opinions, what they are hoping for is clarification of their own feelings.

Soo .. when someone says "Use the 5 spokes" and my inner self whines and says "But I LIKE the original ones" then I guess that means I know what I want after all.

One thing I noticed today too is that the offset on the 5-spokes brings them way inside the fender well, which gives the car an odd look. I was wondering what it was that looked wrong, and I think that's it. I suppose that means I'd need "spacers" if I was going to use the 5 spokes?

Also, I didn't really think about it until today, but as bad as the tires are that I have now, the ones mounted on the turbos HAVE to be better. I mean, they can't BE any worse.

Maybe I'll just talk someone into watching my oncall for me, while I make a fast 7 hour round trip to Seattle and back. Fast at least unless the pass is nasty. I'll see. I really can't afford more tires if those on the turbos are somewhat good.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dt86
I honestly didn't like the look of my stock 86 wheels at first, but they grew on me. Now I think they match the design of the car very well. It's what you like that matters.
That's kind of my feeling, DT. They really seem to fit the design of the car well, and fit in the fenderwell correctly.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:43 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, if you're looking for encouragement to switch to the originals, that gets my vote. I just think they match that car great. They're not my favorite wheels or anything, but it just makes it feel like an '84 when you see the original wheels on it, if that makes sense. The 5 spokes are nice, but I don't think the 16 inch looks as good as 17 inch with that wheel, and I'm not personally a fan of the chrome (but the turbines look to be in solid shape and likely polish up nicely). Oh, and I think you've got a good point on the tires. Could save yourself some money and hassle if they have reasonable tires, if even just buying a little time before you have to buy new rubbers. In fact, tires may be the leading reason to consider the swap. The tires mounted on the 5 spokes are so terrible. Cracks like the Grand Canyon!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Factory C4 "Turbines", look a lot better than the plain looking aftermarket chrome wheels...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I could put those chrome ones up on the for sale area - maybe someone has some used tires they'd trade for my chrome wheels. For that matter, I think they would fit my remaining Fiero...
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

The 5 spoke chrome wheels do not have the correct backspacing. The tires are tucked way inboard. For that reason alone switch to the originals.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:21 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
The 5 spoke chrome wheels do not have the correct backspacing. The tires are tucked way inboard. For that reason alone switch to the originals.
Thanks for verifying that, 3J. That narrow stance makes the car look strange, but I couldn't put my finger on it until today!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Personally I like the look of the original wheels. I think they look unique and I personally prefer a Corvette to be original. One added benefit to the original wheels is that they are designed to pull air into the wheel to cool the brakes. If you flip a stock wheel over it has an impeller design built into the wheel and this draws air through the wheel and onto the brakes to cool them. I think its a really neat thing personally. But at the end of the day, its your car and you do what makes you happy. If you prefer the aftermarket wheels, then leave them on the car.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Wheels

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
The chrome ones are pretty close to the ZR1 wheels, aren't they? I mean, besides being - well, you know, chrome.
I'd plan on putting 245/50-16's on them.
Happens my 86 came with 245/50-16's on it. One downside is that your speedometer will run fast. Not a biggie but still should be known. When it needs tires, I hope to go to the oem size.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel woes ..

Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I'd put the factory rims on. Then, do the necessary work to polish them.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:08 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hcbph
Happens my 86 came with 245/50-16's on it. One downside is that your speedometer will run fast. Not a biggie but still should be known. When it needs tires, I hope to go to the oem size.
Yea, comes out to just about a MPH off. And it's slow, so I'll be doing 1mph less than I think. Which is a good thing.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:11 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I've gotten someone to be on-call for me for the 7 hours or so it will take for the FAST round trip to get the wheels from the PO this Sunday. I've decided to go with the originals - she's cleaning up really well and I think she deserves to look as original as my '94.

Thanks for all your input, guys!

Quick Reply: Wheel woes ..