C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Darkred88
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bose Speaker Question

I need new Bose door speakers for my 88. Corvette Central lists replacements for 84-85 models, but none for the years after that. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the difference is between the 84-85 speakers, and those for the years after that? Is there a reason why the 84-85 speakers wouldn't work in my car?
Old 12-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am in the process of replacing the entire Bose system in my 89 vert, the front door speakers that I pulled out look just like the ones listed on their website. The ad heading says 84-96, so maybe it is a typo.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:39 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Do you need the speakers and amps or just speakers?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Darkred88
Advanced

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Do you need the speakers and amps or just speakers?
According to what I've read, almost all of the time when the speaker fails, it's actually the amp that's the issue. The units I was looking at getting from Corvette Central include the speaker and the amp.

Last edited by Darkred88; 12-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Describe your symptoms for us and maybe we an save you some sheckles. The amps are easily repairable by someone with basic soldering skills, and amps are also sold separately. If it is the speaker, and aftermarket is OK with you, Parts Express sells 1ohm Bose 901 replacement speakers that are a direct compatible drop in for the early C4 and are 1/3 the price.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

An alternative is to dump the chump. Wire new lines to the speaker locations and dump the head unit. Put whatever you want for speakers and head unit. Why spend money repairing the old stuff?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Darkred88
Advanced

I don't get much of anything out of the door speakers but distortion- the crackling noise. I want to keep the Bose system, including the head unit. I'm a bit of an originality freak, and I'm not looking to win any crank it up contests- I just want my system to work as it should.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Darkred88
Advanced

I might be interested in aftermarket speakers, as long as they would work with my factory radio and speaker grilles.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Darkred88
I might be interested in aftermarket speakers, as long as they would work with my factory radio and speaker grilles.
I have total aftermarket. You can't tell I do without looking at the head unit. Stock enclosure and grill
Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Every one of these threads turns into a stock vs non stock discussion. That was not the question. Let's focus on the OP's desires.

OP, sounds like the amps. If you are interested in saving money at the expense of some time, take out the assemblies, disassemble them, and post pics of the amp boards. There are many resources here to help repair or just replace the amps.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:18 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

OP, I am with you. I like originality and lets face it, after years of playing in loud bars and at 46 years old, the system is enough for me to listen to what I like. I do not have hearing above 15k as most guys my age.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

OP, I am with you. I like originality and lets face it, after years of playing in loud bars and at 46 years old, the system is enough for me to listen to what I like. I do not have hearing above 15k as most guys my age.
It's not important to me either but I'd prefer to have a modular system that I can fix as opposed to try cobble old parts to try make it work. My deck by no means is an audiophiles dream. My engine noise would drown any of any additional clarity an excellent system provides out. I find it hard to throw good money after bad. I don't think that the sound can be better given the exhaust and engine noise. If I was trying to keep it show status, maybe I will be more willing to throw money into repairing an old POS that is past it's time.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Think about it; new head unit, wiring and speakers. What will you spend? $300 to $350 at minimum, then all the work to install. That versus removing and replacing two door speaker/amp setups. Seems like a lot less work and somewhat less money. But hey...again we are trying to answer OPs question.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact Dr. Dons in Huntsville, TX: www.service@drdons.com

Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

OP, I am with you.
The Blose (oops) has a unique pairing arrangement between HU output and the amp input. Changing either calls for a matching pre-amp, so repairing the original amp fits your intend and wishes.
I do not have hearing above 15k as most guys my age.
HA! I am a 60+ audiophile and can attest that fine listening is possible despite any purported hearing loss, above 11k or 15k or whatever.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by whalepirot
The Blose (oops) has a unique pairing arrangement between HU output and the amp input. Changing either calls for a matching pre-amp, so repairing the original amp fits your intend and wishes.HA!

I am a 60+ audiophile and can attest that fine listening is possible despite any purported hearing loss, above 11k or 15k or whatever.
Kinda why I dumped the whole setup. I don't like to be forced to use your system nor am I liking to be trying to rehab an old system.

If you want fine listening, sit in a room designed for it with a system designed for it. That is NOT, IMO, a car.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:54 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Kinda why I dumped the whole setup. I don't like to be forced to use your system nor am I liking to be trying to rehab an old system.

If you want fine listening, sit in a room designed for it with a system designed for it. That is NOT, IMO, a car.
Aklim, you still haven't made a case for why its better in any way to replace the Bose system. If sound quality is a negligible requirement, that's off the table. That's the key reason most choose to do so.

The cost of replacing all four amps, if you shop carefully, does not exceed the cost of a low end deck and four speakers. Not to mention all the rewiring.

The guys who want audiophile quality sound, I get. The guys who want to blow the hatch glass out, I get. But your argument I do not. Its not cheaper or easier to rip out.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Speaker Question

Old 12-31-2014, 05:15 PM
eldertek
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent $350 and had the 4 amps refurbished. Bose Gold System sounds Great!
1991 Coupe.
Easy to remove and mailed to Florida. Got them back in 5 days.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Aklim, you still haven't made a case for why its better in any way to replace the Bose system. If sound quality is a negligible requirement, that's off the table. That's the key reason most choose to do so.

The cost of replacing all four amps, if you shop carefully, does not exceed the cost of a low end deck and four speakers. Not to mention all the rewiring.

The guys who want audiophile quality sound, I get. The guys who want to blow the hatch glass out, I get. But your argument I do not. Its not cheaper or easier to rip out.
I KNOW for a fact I dumped more money into this car than it will eve9be worth. Selling isn't an option unless I have to take a huge kick in the nuts. This system failed twice. Got a couple of used ones to replace and they went bad after a couple of years.

Rewiring cost me about a hundred at Best Buy. Obviously I watched. I had them just do wires. I put extra length for future tucked away. With a torn rotator cuff, it was hard to DIY.

The rest, I could get on sale from Walmart, Crutchfield, etc. My thought is I don't want to be chained to the system and be forced to replace it by scrounging around or depending on people who refurbished them to be in business. I guess my thing is I don't want to be trapped into using your system and prefer a more modular design.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eldertek
I spent $350 and had the 4 amps refurbished. Bose Gold System sounds Great!
1991 Coupe.
Easy to remove and mailed to Florida. Got them back in 5 days.
$150 for the head unit. Under $150 for the speakers. $100 for the wiring. Warranty and I am free to change it whenever I want to whatever is on sale. Your FL guy goes out of business or doesn't do it anymore? WGAS. Crutchfield has the speakers. Buddy spills coffee on the head unit? No problem. $200 and we call it even.

Quick Reply: Bose Speaker Question