Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:49 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The fit is not great. Body shop took the old hood off and put the new one on the hinges.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty much every seem will need adjusting but the hood should work. Since I'm painting most of the hood it allows the work to be hidden more easily.
The front will need quite a bit of material removed to match the lines of the front nose. The hood is sitting high so it's not quite as bad as it looks in the pictures.

The gap here isn't the best, but with a little adjusting it can be made very close to correct. This will be under paint so if necessary, some material can be removed.

The fit on the drivers side looks as if the hood right above the wheel well doesn't come out far enough to line up. The shop says they can adjust the body panels to meet up.

The underside of the hood is pretty unattractive so a lot of attention will go into this. I will remove or replace the screens as they don't look nor fit well.

Overall, there's a lot of work to be done, but the shop claims they can make the hood work so we're moving forward with it. They estimate about 15-20 hours of work will need to go into it. So I'll be out about a grand for the body shop bill.

This last pic was taken about chin height for me to show the raised cowl. However, what I really like is that you can see the vents in the hood. It makes the car seem much more menacing.

Last edited by 89 Vett; 01-23-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 PM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing looks pretty sinister, even in raw form!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

thank you for your most recent update.

Here is an important question:

would the fit/finish be acceptable if you were not painting parts of your hood?

Or would you still have to put work into it (ie. Sanding/ re clear coat /etc) to make it fit the lines of the rest of your car?

In your application, you can sand down / paint areas of imperfection...

I have a black vert and am toying with the idea of just leaving it bare carbon fiber....
Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Mine is a part-time show car and I'm particular about the smallest imperfection. Every panel will be smooth and have a gap that is tight and even.

It could be left bare carbon fiber as is and the majority of people (even fellow Vette owners) would never really notice the imperfections.

To put it another way, I've seen bigger imperfections on stock cars and worse fitting aftermarket parts.

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
thank you for your most recent update.

Here is an important question:

would the fit/finish be acceptable if you were not painting parts of your hood?

Or would you still have to put work into it (ie. Sanding/ re clear coat /etc) to make it fit the lines of the rest of your car?

In your application, you can sand down / paint areas of imperfection...

I have a black vert and am toying with the idea of just leaving it bare carbon fiber....

Last edited by 89 Vett; 01-13-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope they plan to fix these issues another 1K in bodywork is way to much in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

The hood vents honestly look very good.
But I'm not interested to make my car look like a C6 - C7 clone.
Just a taller cowl. Carbon would be a great weight saver.
So Quick Z06 is only making Vented with" raised option.
It's just not practical filling the vents.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
So Quick Z06 is only making Vented with" raised option.
He started a thread on the subject and we kind of collectively designed the hood with the vents and 1" cowl. I like it
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

So Quik Z06 is only making Vented with" raised option.
I'm not sure why the vents make it look like a C6 or a C7. I'm curious what you mean.

In the build thread QuickZ06 did his best to allow the forum to contribute to the design. I'm sure he wanted a design that would appeal to the most people.

Last edited by 89 Vett; 01-13-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

im honestly impressed with what we came up with (and qwikz06).

I want an all carbon, lighter version, but i would buy this -once fitment bugs are all worked out.

I think it would make my black 93 vert look amazing.

Combine rpp's projector headlights to eliminate the flipups for more weight savings if you want that too
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

89Vette, I hope the body shop gets it adjusted and looking good for you. And I am not implying that QuickZ06 is not legit, so please everyone note that. I do applaud him for trying to get a decent product for the C4 crowd and with our hoods incorporating the fenders it takes a lot more material and therefor cost to make these hoods.

My issue came from a sales rep from a company that conveyed to me that these hoods would be as light as the ones Blackdog and EM sell. My goal was light weight only and I do like the vents. Obviously from the weight that 89Vette has shared they are 55lbs which is a respectable weight savings. But when a customer request a hood @ 30lbs and is told they can provide that and when it arrives it is a lot heavier, you can understand the frustration. Fortunately I saved all the email correspondence so if I did have issue.

As far as the hood 89Vette has, I hope it all works out and am interested to see it finished by his body shop. And I would suggest to use your stock splash guards to protect you engine from road grim and especially the ECM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:26 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 Vett
I'm not sure why the vents make it look like a C6 or a C7. I'm curious what you mean.

In the build thread QuickZ06 did his best to allow the forum to contribute to the design. I'm sure he wanted a design that would appeal to the most people.

Sorry, It's just not for me. Again great looking hood. The big multi vents to me, trying to make a modern vette look.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Sorry, It's just not for me. Again great looking hood. The big multi vents to me, trying to make a modern vette look.
Well, that is an aftermarket hood, I thought you were implying it made the c4 look like a c6/c7 in some particular way.

I can see what you mean about the big multi-vents being more modern though. One could argue that it's even import looking. However, I actually think it complements the car and is reminiscent of the side gills which I will be looking to have the same carbon fiber/paint scheme on. Something like this.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by l98tpi
My issue came from a sales rep from a company that conveyed to me that these hoods would be as light as the ones Blackdog and EM sell.
Sorry you felt misled. I didn't get the impression from the build thread that there would be a specific target weight. Sounds to me like the rep gave you info about something that was still in flux at the time.

I would have paid the extra money for a full CF hood if it was offered. I think they felt the price point was going to exclude too many customers.
The following users liked this post:
Bwbob (05-11-2016)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Honestly:

I want the bare carbon look on my 93 blck vert. Or at least accents as the op proposes.

I neeed to see both the black dog and this hood up close before making a call.

Btw: i emailed blackdog last week about it and didnt get a response.

To the people (includes me) worried about the weight ....add rpp projector headlights to replaced the buckets and save some weight.

I didnt expect this to weigh 30 lbs like everyone thought it would.

I thought itd be 45. So whats 55 ?

I guess at some point you are going to be splitting hairs.

Again, i need to see/feel both hoods to make a judgement about which one i would buy.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

When I created the original thread to get input on the design, I had to use mostly pics of C5 hoods etc., because they were about the only ones available with vents, and an old DRM race car. Vents may be similar, but no one is going to mistake a C4 for a 6/7 because of the hood.

Hood definitely needs more work to get the fit better, and underside cleaned up, but I am sure QuikZ06 will make the changes.

Maybe once he gets issues fixed, he can offer a two piece CF light weight hood as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Maybe once he gets issues fixed, he can offer a two piece CF light weight hood as well.
LOL, I kinda hope he doesn't now that I've already bought one.

Body shop spent some time on the car today (5 hours so far). The passenger side corner is sanded down enough for the lines to meet up.

Some material was removed from the passenger side to make the gap consistent and smooth.

Driver's side nose and fender were adjusted so that it fits the hood. The nose just in front of the wheel needs to come in a bit more and then he'll sand the corner like the passenger side to get a smooth transition.

If you ignore the sanded corner the hood fits really well after the adjustments. For those of you wanting to leave the hood all carbon fiber sanding clearly wouldn't work for you. You'd have had to leave the hood as is there which, honestly, most people wouldn't even notice.

The hood is almost adjusted and after the other corner is sanded it'll be ready for paint. He will check fitment of the headlights and inner fenders tomorrow.

I haven't decided exactly how to handle the underside of the hood but it will likely have the majority of it sanded and painted the same color as the car rather than the current black. Trim will be put around the cutouts for the vent and then the exposed carbon fiber will need to be smoothed out.

That still leaves adjustment to the vent grills, LED lights that I want to shine through the vents, and maybe airbrush or something on the underside of the hood.

I'm also on the fence about whether to put the emblem back on the hood... I like the smooth look.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I think it is going to look great.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default QuickPhotoshop

This photoshop is a little rough, but I think it's close to what I want to see on the underside.

I'd like to make the inner fenders detachable so I can remove them at shows.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is the nicest underhood I have ever seen on a C4 Corvette...or any Corvette for that matter! If your end result is anything like your photoshop, you will absolutely knock 'em dead at the car shows.

That looks fricking amazing!

Originally Posted by 89 Vett
This photoshop is a little rough, but I think it's close to what I want to see on the underside.

I'd like to make the inner fenders detachable so I can remove them at shows.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:09 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Body shop has about 11 hours in, the hood has been fitted at all corners and both front corners have been sanded down. I felt they could both use a little more material removed so he's going to hit them again.

He also started to block sand the top to take out the irregularities before putting primer on.

Will hopefully see it in primer towards the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I'll continue working on sourcing all the stuff for the underhood.

Estimate went up from 15-20 hours to 20-25.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived