C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
Damn that is a lot of work. I've got one of these hoods and the underside is a mess. Your body guy is doing some nice work.
I agree. He's doing a nice job cleaning it up. Are you adding the hood lights? Just curious if everything has to be a custom fabrication to mount original parts to it?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:27 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn that is a lot of work. I've got one of these hoods and the underside is a mess. Your body guy is doing some nice work. Thankfully my Dad isn't overly picky so I just bolted it on his car and kept my Toledo Pro.
Speaking of the Toledo Pro..how good was the fit and finish on it? I'm considering going that route and just having extractors put in later, after seeing your and this thread both.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:03 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
I agree. He's doing a nice job cleaning it up. Are you adding the hood lights? Just curious if everything has to be a custom fabrication to mount original parts to it?
The hood has all the proper bolts for the headlights, but the guide pin, prop rod, wheel wells, emblem, and miscellaneous holes such as the ones for the wiring tabs for the hood lights have to be added.

Some of that works fine for me. I'm not putting the hood emblem on and the regular hood lights will be there but with the wire fished through the hood so nothing will show.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:08 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Speaking of the Toledo Pro..how good was the fit and finish on it? I'm considering going that route and just having extractors put in later, after seeing your and this thread both.
Mine looks like factory hood other than the cowl induction part. I didn't even know it was an aftermarket hood when I bought the car to be honest. I just figured someone had a cowl grafted onto a factory hood as it looked just like my previous c4's hood on the backside.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Rough primer and sand but you can see the design pretty clearly.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Bottom side painted. The waviness in the center section doesn't matter since it will have the polished stainless panels that cover it.

Hopefully the topside will get shiny today.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:03 AM
BV85
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber Hood

89 VETTE your hood looks great. If that's the look you are after. It's always good to see somebody do what they want to their cars. My hats off to you it will look great when it's all said and done.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Top side is shiny... will hopefully see it on the car toward the end of the week.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Well, after checking against the rest of the car, the color appears to be slightly off. He experimented with a few other GM mixes and claims that when I had the car repainted they didn't use the right code... Odd that GM would have two colors so close that you'd only be able to tell the difference when the colors are against each other.

At any rate, repainting the hood and looking at next week.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Sorry for the late response, I don't get here often. The fit and finish is great on the Toledo Pro. It's so nice underneath I didn't even paint the under side.

Originally Posted by 89 Vett
Well, after checking against the rest of the car, the color appears to be slightly off. He experimented with a few other GM mixes and claims that when I had the car repainted they didn't use the right code... Odd that GM would have two colors so close that you'd only be able to tell the difference when the colors are against each other.

At any rate, repainting the hood and looking at next week.

Sucks the color is off but that thing is AMAZING. Absolute great job on that hood. Hopefully they get the color worked out. I really want to see that on your car.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

I really want to see that on your car.
You and me both. I really like the guy but it's been in his shop almost 5 months. The remaining to do list is still fairly long:
1) Retape; Repaint topside of the hood. The color is so close I'm leaving the bottom side as is.
2) The new hood also had no provision for the alignment pins, hood prop, nor wheel well covers so those will need to be added.
3) I removed all the hood hardware and had them chromed/polished. It will all need to be remounted in the new hood.
4) I bought polished stainless steel plates for the insets of the hood. They had to be cut down to fit the vented portion and one side needs a little bit removed to fit properly.
5) The wiring will be run through the hood rather than on top for the lights.
6) Finally, the whole thing has to be readjusted on the car to fit right.

He claims that it'll be ready early next week but I'm not counting on it. I've already missed a bunch of events because I have no car... reason for having a second Vette I guess.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Getting very close. Headlights need to be aligned and inner fenders mounted.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

That looks great
Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...definitely worth the wait! It may have taken a while, but your body guy does really good work. Curious...any plans for new wheels? The hood looks so wickedly nice and custom that your factory wheels suddenly look so plain. Maybe a dark wheel or perhaps polished aluminum might really set it off and take the car into another realm.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow!!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LANDSHARK1
Wow...definitely worth the wait! It may have taken a while, but your body guy does really good work. Curious...any plans for new wheels? The hood looks so wickedly nice and custom that your factory wheels suddenly look so plain. Maybe a dark wheel or perhaps polished aluminum might really set it off and take the car into another realm.
Yeah, I have wide body quarters from a ZR-1 to put on and then will move up to a 13" wide wheel. That project will be next winter... or maybe the winter after.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 AM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Excellent!
That will go so well with the custom hood...definitely looking forward to updates as time goes on.

Originally Posted by 89 Vett
Yeah, I have wide body quarters from a ZR-1 to put on and then will move up to a 13" wide wheel. That project will be next winter... or maybe the winter after.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LANDSHARK1
Excellent!
That will go so well with the custom hood...definitely looking forward to updates as time goes on.
It'll look something like this:

Photoshop

I have the wide body parts and a fiberglass flat (round taillight) bumper that I'll widen to fit. It'll be subtle but cool:

Photoshop Before/After

I'm also contemplating flares in addition to the wide body like this Callaway:

Callaway Speedster

Before/After

Last edited by 89 Vett; 06-25-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Wild!!!!

Originally Posted by 89 vett
it'll look something like this:

photoshop

i have the wide body parts and a fiberglass flat (round taillight) bumper that i'll widen to fit. It'll be subtle but cool:

photoshop before/after

i'm also contemplating flares in addition to the wide body like this callaway:

callaway speedster

before/after
Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Your hood turned out very nice. Looks great.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived