Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks really good. Once those new wheels come on it will look like a totally different car. They should have put that hood on all of the C4's
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 Vett
Getting very close. Headlights need to be aligned and inner fenders mounted.

Your photoshop hAd me drooling and this in real life looks even better.

Congratulations on a job well done
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a few problems to work out still. The body shop gave the car back to me but it still needs a little work.

1) Passenger headlight is not adjusted correctly.
2) The hood support isn't working.
3) Driver hood pin doesn't line up correctly.
4) The center stainless panel was dented by the throttlebody.
5) The wipers don't clear the hood.

The headlight shouldn't be a big deal. The hood support appears to have been damaged by the chroming process... looks great but doesn't work. I ordered a new one and waiting on back order. Not sure what to do about the wipers yet.

I attempted to adjust the hood pin myself, just a few bolts, but now the hood is jammed shut... will try and put some time in on it tonight.

Last edited by 89 Vett; 06-30-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes, the price we pay for pioneering or doing something a little different from the norm. Aggravating as hell sometimes...problems that no one else has had to deal with or has never dealt with. I know the feeling well...the end result is worth it though!

Stay positive and keep at it...you are so close now!

These are all very minor issues, easy to correct, but it is all the time it has taken thus far to get to this point that makes them seemingly worse. After a minor adjustment, everything should be just fine.

Your body shop should be able to adjust the hood for a little more clearance on the wipers. I don't know the proper name of that part, but it is some sort of spring thing with a pointed acorn nut looking thing on the end, one on each side of the hood towards the windshield. These drop into the latching holes/mechanism in the body to latch the hood when closed.

Depending on how far in or out you turn it (with a big screwdriver), the hood will latch closer or farther away from the body. This up/down adjustment will in turn raise or lower the leading edge of the hood away from the top of the wiperblade.

I know this because I did it on mine a couple times since one side has a habit of loosening itself and changing my hood/panel gap on that side.

Hang in there...you are almost there!

I have a few problems to work out still. The body shop gave the car back to me but it still needs a little work.

1) Passenger headlight is not adjusted correctly.
2) The hood support isn't working.
3) Driver hood pin doesn't line up correctly.
4) The center stainless panel was dented by the throttlebody.
5) The wipers don't clear the hood.

The headlight shouldn't be a big deal. The hood support appears to have been damaged by the chroming process... looks great but doesn't work. I ordered a new one and waiting on back order. Not sure what to do about the wipers yet.

I attempted to adjust the hood pin myself, just a few bolts, but now the hood is jammed shut... will try and put some time in on it tonight.

Last edited by LANDSHARK1; 06-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM
truggiero19
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I also dont know what wiper blades you have but you might want to take one of yours to the auto store and compare it with the others to see if a different brand has a shorter blade. If there is a shorter one that fits it will be much easier to change the blades than adjust the hood.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

It looks real nice
Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM
0Extreme Dimensions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car looks amazing. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:41 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truggiero19
I also dont know what wiper blades you have but you might want to take one of yours to the auto store and compare it with the others to see if a different brand has a shorter blade. If there is a shorter one that fits it will be much easier to change the blades than adjust the hood.
They're the stock ones and about as low profile as I've ever seen. I could poke around online though rather than Autozone.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Damn
Old 07-03-2015, 02:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Looks good. I think the end of the hood, at the cowl, in the center, would look better if it was like the rest of the edge. This would also probably resolve the wiper issue.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

I've had the car back for a couple weeks now. It has a list of issues, but my body shop guy is frustrated with it and wanted a break.

Current issues:
1) The paint is still off, it's closer but not right.
2) The headlights, hood, and front bumper aren't matching up properly.
3) The hood release is sticky because it's not lining up with the receiver correctly.
4) The double sided tape on the stainless panel is insufficient to hold them.
5) The hood support mounting location is no good.

#1, #2, and #3 will have to wait for the body shop guy. I've had a lot of frustrations with him so despite having to spend more money, I may go somewhere else.

#4 isn't a big deal, will just get better tape

#5 I'm having a local fabricator make a bracket. Basically the hood support needs to be adjacent to the wheel well or it will hit the alternator bracket when the hood closes. However, there's nothing to bolt to in the proper location because that's where the vent is.

Fabricator should have a price for me today. 1/4 in aluminum should be strong enough, but I'm concerned with the leverage on the fiberglass. There's a metal mounting plate I added behind the fiberglass to bolt to, but it may not be enough. Will just have to wait and see.

Bracket
Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I had to relocate my hood prop rod as well. I just welded a piece of flat bar to the stock piece so it moved it over and gave me clearance. Of course you have yours chromed already but it was an easy fix.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
I had to relocate my hood prop rod as well. I just welded a piece of flat bar to the stock piece so it moved it over and gave me clearance. Of course you have yours chromed already but it was an easy fix.
Yeah, I want to try and make it look as good as possible. The fabrication place came back with a quote of $115. It'll take them 7 days or so, so hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

Since it's small and mostly flat I may try polishing it myself rather than sending it out.

Sadly, whenever I get a procharger all this will have to be re-engineered again.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, I want to try and make it look as good as possible. The fabrication place came back with a quote of $115. It'll take them 7 days or so, so hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

Since it's small and mostly flat I may try polishing it myself rather than sending it out.

Sadly, whenever I get a procharger all this will have to be re-engineered again.
Probably not, when I had my Procharger there were no issues with clearance with my mod I made. I did have to change the inner fender plastic on the body side not hood side. In this pic you can see there is no inner fender. I hadn't modded it when this shot was taken.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

So, are these still being made? Are the current pieces being offered for rework or price reduction now that we all know the amount of finishing involved? 5k for a hood on a 5k car? Also can it be made lighter?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:52 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

That hood looks amazing!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:14 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
So, are these still being made? Are the current pieces being offered for rework or price reduction now that we all know the amount of finishing involved? 5k for a hood on a 5k car? Also can it be made lighter?
Still being made, retail is over $2K and I believe I was listing them for $1400ish. I can't go lower as manufacturing controls pricing. They actually just came out with a new one

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived

Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Still being made, retail is over $2K and I believe I was listing them for $1400ish. I can't go lower as manufacturing controls pricing. They actually just came out with a new one

I like the old one better! The venting seems to fit more of the look/lines of a c4.

Though it's nice there is another option available as I'm sure the original doesn't please everyone!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

How is underhood noise? Is it louder now that you venting?

The reason I ask is my procharger p600b has an annoying squeal to it that is partially muffled by a closed hood (p600b is an older noisier model but still produces great boost so I'm in no hurry to change it).

The squeal is most prevalent at idle. Once on the road, it blends into the road noise somewhat but is still there if you listen to it.

The newer prochargers claim they are quieter but I can still hear some parts of the annoying squeal in their newer line as well.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 12-27-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
They actually just came out with a new one

I like the looks of this.

I imagine there would be the same installation issues for this hood ...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood Arrived