Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stood up for C4s at our club meeting!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I got burned out on the WAVE back when I was a bit younger and drove Harleys. Between the Harley and the vette and my wrangler I think I spent more time waving then driving. I only wave to people I know now be they in vette or a pickup. Im not being snotty and im not an ignorant person. I just don't see waving to every stranger on the road because he bought the same car as me. So if you see me and I don't wave at you don't take it personal .
Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
I got burned out on the WAVE back when I was a bit younger and drove Harleys. Between the Harley and the vette and my wrangler I think I spent more time waving then driving. I only wave to people I know now be they in vette or a pickup. Im not being snotty and im not an ignorant person. I just don't see waving to every stranger on the road because he bought the same car as me. So if you see me and I don't wave at you don't take it personal .
A lot of Corvette owners, especially ones with the newer models see the Corvette as just another nice car to drive. Being part of a model specific community wouldn't occur to them. They'll run it for a year or so and then trade it for another brand without a thought. So why bother to wave at anyone? Sad eh?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Sure. I arrived at a local car meet and noticed a group of Vette owners hanging out around their C5s and C6s. Excitied to share in the passion of Corvette ownership I slowly drove to that end of the parking lot. My 87 was black with a large silver racing stripe down the middle with ZR1 wheels. I made my way over and introduced myself to a few of them. When they asked what I drove I pointed to the car and said C4. A few chuckled, another asked why I wasted my money on a C4, and another said the C4 shouldn't be considered a Corvette. It was at that moment I realized the C4 wasn't a well liked/respected car. I kinda chuckled and shrugged my shoulders. I hung out for a few minutes to hear them rant at how awesome their Corvettes were and much better than any C4 will ever be. After that I had heard enough and got in my car and drove away.

In hopes this was just a rare occurence I showed up to a different meet several months later. Noticed a couple of Vettes parked to one another and made my way over. Crossing my fingers I wouldn't get the same treatment I pulled in and parked next to them. Before I could get out of the car a guy walked over and said, "Hey man, if you don't mind could you park your C4 on the next row. We only want newer Vettes over here." There were no Vettes, but only imports on the row I was asked to park with. I decided to head home.

I know not all C5/C6 Vette owners are like this, and I have since met some good down to earth owners. But that put a really bad taste in my mouth about some Vette owners and their thoughts on C4s. Oddly enough I'm usually the guy that goes over and talks to C4 owners when they pull into meets to hear about their ride.
You might have suggested they'd probably be laughed at too if they ever attempted to drive up to a bunch of 505HP C6Z guys hanging out.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

We are definitely divided out there on the road. I ride a 1974 Kawasaki H2B 750 two stroke street bike and I've noticed most Harley guys will not wave back. I also noticed they don't wave at 200hp sport bikes either. Perhaps it's because a 185mph capable sport bike can blow by them with the front wheel up in the air and they get tired of being reminded of that, who knows?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

We are definitely divided out there on the road. I ride a 1974 Kawasaki H2B 750 two stroke street bike and I've noticed most Harley guys will not wave back. I also noticed they don't wave at 200hp sport bikes either. Perhaps it's because a 185mph capable sport bike can blow by them with the front wheel up in the air and they get tired of being reminded they mostly just block traffic, who knows?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You guys and this Corvette wave,its starting to get comical.The Corvette wave started to die when the C5 came and its been dying ever since.Myself,I wont even look and anything newer than a C4 and will always wait for the wave from an older car.And me,this is my fourth Corvette and have been an owner for almost 30 years so Ive been around for awhile.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I read about the wave in the 70s reading Corvette Quarterly magazines.

Now that I have my first Corvette I try to wave. If traffic isnt taking my attention and I see any kind of Corvette.

But, if I see a Corvette driver wave at me, I definitely try to smile and wave back , if Im not going too fast.

I see that wave and I know, they love driving a Corvette too. What year it is has nothing to do with that to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You guys and this Corvette wave,its starting to get comical.The Corvette wave started to die when the C5 came and its been dying ever since.Myself,I wont even look and anything newer than a C4 and will always wait for the wave from an older car.And me,this is my fourth Corvette and have been an owner for almost 30 years so Ive been around for awhile.
Well not that the wave is a huge deal but sounds like your just as guilty lol. If I saw you in your vette I'd def wave and you just said you wouldn't cause I have a C7. Same thing
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

I wouldn't wave at a C7 because C7 owners don't know about the wave yet and it will just distract them while trying to drive and locate the right button on the dash for something at the same time.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
I wouldn't wave at a C7 because C7 owners don't know about the wave yet and it will just distract them while trying to drive and locate the right button on the dash for something at the same time.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I grew up in farm country; we waved at everyone, whether we knew them or not. It's not difficult to do; it's just a friendly-person type thing.

Then again, the world was different 40 years ago.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have owned Corvettes for over 20 years (my C4 for almost 30) and I have seen the culture change. Yes, the Corvette owners driving C1s and C2s will usually give you a wave but very few C4s to C7s will.

I belong to a "generic" car club and there are only 4 of us out of 100 members that own Corvettes. The other members sort of considered us as "outsiders" until they got to know us. This is not surprising as the club started out in 1967 as primarily a Model A club.

One of the other Corvette owners has a nice '96 Convertible with a 6 speed. He often spouts off on how the club should be more accommodating to Corvette owners, especially the later models.

Corvettes are not that common up here where I live. There is more interest in modified pick up trucks.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM
preacher putz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C-4 [a fine car]

Last June I bought my first vette. 96 collectors edition, Lt-1 w/auto trans.

First took it to the local track in October. The weather was poor to say the least. With the temp and humidity it was the same as being 2600
feet above sea level. This is a bone stock 18 year old vette with
over 87000 miles - ran the quarter in 13.903 seconds.

This C-4 hooked and ran the numbers, cant ask for much more.
I don't have to defend my C-4, the time slips will speak for themselves.

Preacher Putz
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm on my 10th 'Vette, a C7, and have owned at least one of each generation. I still have three-'84, '05, & '14. (Bought all of these new)
When I got the '84 it was one of the first in the area and when I attended a show less than a week after I took delivery in May of 1983 it drew a large crowd. Our local club members bought at least 10 of them that first year and continued to do so through the rest of the C4 run. The newness wore off after the style got long in tooth and the C5 became the benchmark when introduced, as did the next two generations. For as many C4's as there were produced over it's life cycle you do not see many at shows or on the road. Many were trashed right from the start and resoration costs today would put you upside down to the value quickly. My '84 has 24,000 miles and has been Bloomington Gold/Survivor certified, displayed in the Special Collection, NCRS regional Top Flight, and other accolades. Despite its' bottom-feeder status I still like it and appreciate it for what it was when new. The Z51 suspension with its' rough ride is a part of history and I don't regret ordering it. The clamshell hood and early electronic dash were innovative at the time and hopefully these cars will get some respect as the years go by. There are fewer decent ones remaining every year, and I'm planning to preserve mine.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trivette
I'm on my 10th 'Vette, a C7, and have owned at least one of each generation. I still have three-'84, '05, & '14. (Bought all of these new)
When I got the '84 it was one of the first in the area and when I attended a show less than a week after I took delivery in May of 1983 it drew a large crowd. Our local club members bought at least 10 of them that first year and continued to do so through the rest of the C4 run. The newness wore off after the style got long in tooth and the C5 became the benchmark when introduced, as did the next two generations. For as many C4's as there were produced over it's life cycle you do not see many at shows or on the road. Many were trashed right from the start and resoration costs today would put you upside down to the value quickly. My '84 has 24,000 miles and has been Bloomington Gold/Survivor certified, displayed in the Special Collection, NCRS regional Top Flight, and other accolades. Despite its' bottom-feeder status I still like it and appreciate it for what it was when new. The Z51 suspension with its' rough ride is a part of history and I don't regret ordering it. The clamshell hood and early electronic dash were innovative at the time and hopefully these cars will get some respect as the years go by. There are fewer decent ones remaining every year, and I'm planning to preserve mine.
Well said! I also bought a new 84, gold w/ saddle sport seats and Z51 and I really liked that car. A lot of folks here may not know it but the 84 was a huge deal at the time even though now of course it's not. If you get a chance to drive a nice tight 84 with Z51 you will be impressed with its handling. In 85 Z51 was softened to the point that even 84 standard suspension was stiffer.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
When I went to Ca this summer from Az I got 3 waves. Well 1 I didn't count cuz I think he was telling me I was number 1. He was driving a new Vette and I waved at him and he raised one finger. The other waves were 3 gals in a C-5 and another guy in a C-3. I still have tears in my eyes as big as horse turds cuz the first guy hurt my feelings!!! First time that ever happened-----------yea, right!!!
Tommy
Tommy how are ya buddy. I will see you at Power and Southern on a Saturday soon.
As for the snotty behavior from other Corvette owners it goes back to who drives Corvettes. Motor heads who love all Corvettes. Guys with small wee wee's who think the Corvette will over shadow the fact Sancho is waiting for him to take it for a long drive. Guys with lots of money and the Corvette is just another way to blow money. Guys who are excited to own a Corvette any Corvtte.

Quick Reply: Stood up for C4s at our club meeting!!