C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dimmer Switch Disconnected or Broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Dimmer Switch Disconnected or Broken

I've searched and found some threads about the dimmer switch but when I got into it, I came to kind of a dead end. I don't see how the housing cover can be removed. If they are talking about the short piece just behind the steering wheel I guess I am at the right place. I did remove the carpeted cover first. There were 3 screws. However, when I try to move the plastic piece it does not budge. The next step in the procedure says remove electrical harness and grommet so that is not exposed yet. There is a steel ribbed plate under the carpeted cover with four screws but I don't think I should remove that.

Also, I reached down at the bottom of the steering column to find the steel rod that actuates the switch. When I pull toward me it operates the dimmer. So I'm pretty sure the issue is at the other end where the multi-function lever and the steel rod met. I can drive the car at night without the brights blasting the oncoming car so that's one good thing. I will continue tinkering with the cover see if it will come loose but now luck so far. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, WEK.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This should be helpful:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...pictorial.html

Quick Reply: Dimmer Switch Disconnected or Broken