Iggee Seat Cover install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
I certainly get where youre coming from. The hours of work and frustration equate to years of enjoyment though.
Two things stand out right away. The front bumper and the body moldings. The front bumper because its a tight fit and was literally a wrestling match trying to get it off. Probably would have been easier with another person. And the moldings because the bolts rust inside the molding and spin in there when you try to remove the nut. Or the nuts just rust in place on the bolts.
Yea, I was looking at my molding last night - thinking about what I could do with them just on the car. I think I can get some decent rubber cleaner and get them clean and black again, repaint the TPI and so on. It's not going to be perfection, but for my purposes (a 15 foot car - ) it should be ok. Give me something to do on a nice sunny spring day.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
No, "simulated leather". Naugahyde - many naugas died to bring you these seats ..
WC3? Naugas?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Great thread, Max, thanks. I need to replace the seat covers one day, although I think I'll have them kill a cow to do it.

Where did you get your rear view mirror? My night/day switch gave up the ghost long ago, but I've been living with it. I'd in fact forgotten about it till I read your post about it. Dammit! Another item on my list (now, is that "want" or "need"?).
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Great thread, Max, thanks. I need to replace the seat covers one day, although I think I'll have them kill a cow to do it.

Where did you get your rear view mirror? My night/day switch gave up the ghost long ago, but I've been living with it. I'd in fact forgotten about it till I read your post about it. Dammit! Another item on my list (now, is that "want" or "need"?).
I bought the replacement mirror (just the mirror) for $27 on eBay, the followed a thread posted here on the Forum regarding breaking the original mirror out of the casing and using boiling water to soften the case enough to get the new mirror back in. It worked like a charm, only the first time I hit the mirror (wrapped carefully in a plastic bag) to break it, I MISSED the mirror and took a chunk out of my knuckle. Hey, love hurts ..

If your mirror case is broken, it may not be an option for you. And there is no way I can see to get the mirror out to work on the day/night switch without breaking the mirror. Maybe the boiling water trick?

It's sure nice to look in the rear view and see .. something other than what looked like mold growing on the back of the mirror.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
WC3? Naugas?
My age is showing. Many years ago they called that simulated vinyl leather "naugahyde" - but I've never really looked up the provenance of the name. Hm .. I'll have to do that.

www.iggees.com probably has more info on the exact makeup of the "leather" and of course, all the color and fabric selections.

Personally, if I was going with leather, I'd try for Mr Mikes (mrmikes.com) leather replacements - they worked perfect on my Fiero.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

great write up, thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
My age is showing. Many years ago they called that simulated vinyl leather "naugahyde" - but I've never really looked up the provenance of the name. Hm .. I'll have to do that.

www.iggees.com probably has more info on the exact makeup of the "leather" and of course, all the color and fabric selections.

Personally, if I was going with leather, I'd try for Mr Mikes (mrmikes.com) leather replacements - they worked perfect on my Fiero.
Man, I haven't heard "naugahyde" since I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure that was on a classic car program. But I'm about the same age as, uh, what's the name of your red '84? Fiona? I can't keep track anymore.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Man, I haven't heard "naugahyde" since I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure that was on a classic car program. But I'm about the same age as, uh, what's the name of your red '84? Fiona? I can't keep track anymore.
My dad had a naugahyde recliner that was old when I was young - probably about 1970. It was worn off to the point of looking like plain vinyl.

And .. feel free to call her "the red '84" if you wish. She won't be insulted.

You hope. <music from "Christine" playing in the background>
Old 01-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Man, I know what it is... I must be old.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

I didn't pause a second reading "naugahyde." Crap, that means I'm old, too. I was 28 when my 86 was brand new.

Max, as far as seeing stuff out of my mirror, I guess that's why I haven't done anything to it. I can still see out of it fine; instead of flipping the day/night lever, I just move the mirror. It bugs me to have something broken there, but it's on the "want" list not the "need" list.

Crap, I just looked at the list and it's not even ON the list *scribbles furiously*
Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't pause a second reading "naugahyde." Crap, that means I'm old, too. I was 28 when my 86 was brand new.

Max, as far as seeing stuff out of my mirror, I guess that's why I haven't done anything to it. I can still see out of it fine; instead of flipping the day/night lever, I just move the mirror. It bugs me to have something broken there, but it's on the "want" list not the "need" list.

Crap, I just looked at the list and it's not even ON the list *scribbles furiously*
Yea, mine had that disease where it was losing it's silver off the back. Made her feel old! So, replacing the mirror makes her feel young again. Who am I to argue with the Vette?

Last edited by MaxDaemon; 01-27-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Never argue with your Vette. Always compliment and say nice things to her. She'll bring you much more pleasure that way.
The following users liked this post:
RadioactiveBobcat (03-12-2022)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Never argue with your Vette. Always compliment and say nice things to her. She'll bring you much more pleasure that way.
The following users liked this post:
RadioactiveBobcat (03-12-2022)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Max got any photos with both seats installed?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 AM
3ddriver
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the pics and instructions on how to do this. I did the red covers. They came out OK, a bit red/orange for my liking. I hope the slits in the back hold. They worry me and I wish the covers had reinforced stitching. Thanks again for your posts, they were great.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 AM
SmartChoice
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it looks great Max this is my next project in my to do list, not sure what to do......thank you for the pictures ...

Last edited by SmartChoice; 01-28-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Max got any photos with both seats installed?
I second this. I'd like to see the set!

Get notified of new replies

To Iggee Seat Cover install

Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, finally some pictures. This should about wrap it up.

I also mention the console box cover - the original one was broken to the point of being floppy when you'd open it. I bought a used one off eBay in fair/poor cosmetic condition ($30, cheap) and also bought a cover/pad for it. The pad covers the cosmetic problems (paint spillage on the console cover) and looks/feels good to boot.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3ddriver
Thanks for all the pics and instructions on how to do this. I did the red covers. They came out OK, a bit red/orange for my liking. I hope the slits in the back hold. They worry me and I wish the covers had reinforced stitching. Thanks again for your posts, they were great.
I think I missed the first time through that you'd done a set of covers too - any pics to throw in the thread?

Yea, I worried a little about just slitting the back cover and leaving it, but I figure in that protected area they'll never get any wear or even hardly any flex, so they should be fine.

I still kind of feel that I can replace these in a few years with something nicer and not be out anything.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

In retrospect, I do wonder if I should have gone straight black instead of black/charcoal. Any comments or opinions?

Quick Reply: Iggee Seat Cover install