C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1994 New acrylic targa top installation and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM
SEEKUM
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 New acrylic targa top installation and alignment

I just bought a new Acrylic targa top from Melrose tops and I am rather reluctant to do the install myself due to some concerns I heard about relative to improper alignment could cause it to crack. Has anyone done an install and alignment on one of these and how difficult was it to align and do you have any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
kleptopigdog
Pro

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-co...-installation/
Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done it. Not hard at all when you know what to do. Used to have Melrose, but now have OEM.

The alignment is for getting the brackets on the new TOP to be bolted down in the correct place so it's aligned with the brackets in the car.

The other thing is you can adjust how far the top presses into the A and B pillar weatherstripping.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 AM
SEEKUM
Cruising

Default Top alignment

Originally Posted by samsonb
I've done it. Not hard at all when you know what to do. Used to have Melrose, but now have OEM.

The alignment is for getting the brackets on the new TOP to be bolted down in the correct place so it's aligned with the brackets in the car.

The other thing is you can adjust how far the top presses into the A and B pillar weatherstripping.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I've never even taken the top off and I've got the instruction that Melrose sent with the top so once I take the top off I should have a better understanding of how the adjustment mechanics work. When you adjusted yours did you take the upper trim panel and the rear view mirror off like the instructions say to do? That's really the part I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks very much!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:51 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SEEKUM
Thank you very much for your feedback. I've never even taken the top off and I've got the instruction that Melrose sent with the top so once I take the top off I should have a better understanding of how the adjustment mechanics work. When you adjusted yours did you take the upper trim panel and the rear view mirror off like the instructions say to do? That's really the part I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks very much!
Yes, you have to take the trim and mirror off.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM
SEEKUM
Cruising

Default Targa alignment

Ok, Thanks! My son in law and I are going to do it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:42 PM
kleptopigdog
Pro

Do a search on here. I remember a member here doing an in depth write up on it.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM
SEEKUM
Cruising

Default Targa top alignment

I changed my top yesterday and aligned the new one and everything went really good except I am not pleased with the position on the front windshield gasket. It doesn't seem to go far enough forward to sit right on the gasket. When you did yours did you have to do a forward adjustment which according to the instructions in order to adjust the top forward or backwards you have to remove the seat belt harness and the rear headliner trim panel and add or remove shims. I drove it after I changed the top and there wasn't any wind noise coming from that gasket area so I just assumed it was ok.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SEEKUM
I changed my top yesterday and aligned the new one and everything went really good except I am not pleased with the position on the front windshield gasket. It doesn't seem to go far enough forward to sit right on the gasket. When you did yours did you have to do a forward adjustment which according to the instructions in order to adjust the top forward or backwards you have to remove the seat belt harness and the rear headliner trim panel and add or remove shims. I drove it after I changed the top and there wasn't any wind noise coming from that gasket area so I just assumed it was ok.

Thanks
If there is no wind noise and no leaks. Then I wouldn't mess with it.

I noticed when I put a Melrose top on, that in the middle of the top it sat real close to the windshield trim almost touching it. The OEM top has a bigger gap there. Also noticed the front lip on the Melrose top digs further down into the weatherstripping. As with the OEM top put on after the Melrose, the front lip in the middle half of the OEM doesn't touch the weatherstripping as there is an impression left into the weatherstripping from the Melrose front lip sitting further downward than OEM.

You can adjust the forward/reward by adding/removing shims in the back. But I never hear of anyone doing that.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 AM
SEEKUM
Cruising

If there is no wind noise and no leaks. Then I wouldn't mess with it.

I noticed when I put a Melrose top on, that in the middle of the top it sat real close to the windshield trim almost touching it. The OEM top has a bigger gap there. Also noticed the front lip on the Melrose top digs further down into the weatherstripping. As with the OEM top put on after the Melrose, the front lip in the middle half of the OEM doesn't touch the weatherstripping as there is an impression left into the weatherstripping from the Melrose front lip sitting further downward than OEM.

You can adjust the forward/reward by adding/removing shims in the back. But I never hear of anyone doing that.
Ok, I really appreciate all the input you have given me. I talked to Melrose yesterday and they basically said the same thing regarding wind noise and leaks. It does fit as you described fitting a lot closer to the windshield trim than the original top that was on it. I think I'll leave it alone for now and drive it for awhile to see if anything changes. I also need to wash it and check for water leaks which I haven't done yet.

Again thanks so much for your advice!

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 New acrylic targa top installation and alignment

Quick Reply: 1994 New acrylic targa top installation and alignment