Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

shame on ford

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rharker
It was on the ABC world news last night that Mustang 4 cyl's pipe artificial exhaust notes through the stereo system of the car to make it sound like a muscle car. What Posers

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/16...se-control.htm
This is not new... becoming more of a trend.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept
Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I know my 06 sliverado gets the exact same gas milage on the highway as the neighbors 3.5 eco he bought last year and the Silverado gets a bit better if you go by town/highway average and the brother in laws new Silverado with the cyl cut out thing gets 2 mpg better then me. In all reality f150s are in last place for mileage between the chev/dodge/ford. don't know how the new aluminum body will affect this but its NOT going to make the ford get 5mpg more so its still not going to put that eco boost motor in a different catagory.

Power wize theres slightly ahead of chevs and about tied with the hemis. Get your Silverado a tune and it closes that gap right up and to be honest I could care less if my truck has 340 hp or 360. Either will push a truck down the road just fine. heck I grew up with full sized chevs that made a 195 and pulled everything im going to pull with a truck. If you need more towing power then a 300 hp small block gives your probably towing more then a 1/2 should be fooling with and should be seriously looking at a 3/4 diesel.

Sorry but nothing earth shattering is going on because of that motor. It does absolutely nothing to any large degree better then there 4.6 didn't already do or was at least a bolt on or change of tune right from the factory to get there. they did all of this because of government gas mileage figures. 1 mpg means nothing to me but as many ford trucks that are sold it means a lot toward there corporate gas mileage figure. So the go with all of technology, retool for aluminum and who pays for all of that? YOU DO. Go and compare the price of one of those new aluminum ford ecoboost trucks to a hemi ford or a Silverado. YOU are paying to get Fords numbers down. Easy decision for ford. The f150 is hands down there best selling unit. Its already expensive and buyers are used to paying 40k plus for them. Its a lot eaiser to tack on 3k per unit there and let the truck buyers pay to be the testers to this new technology and then let it trickle down to the other models cheaply.
Originally Posted by mmandley
I can the side of big V8s, rumbling and everything.
i have always been a big V8 guy. Actually my Corvette is the first small block muscle car i have owned.

Now back to the V6 Eco. I used to drive a 5.4 V8 Ford, crappy milage, ok power, crappy towing.
Then I went to Diesels, tons of power, lots of noise, turbos whistling but pretty expensive to own with regular maintenance and diesel prices until recently.

I had a F350 6.4 with normal go fast stuff cranking out 600Hp and 1K torque until the engine let go.

In came the Eco Boost. I was very skeptical, trying to decide if i wanted the 5.0 V8 or the 3.5 twin turbo.

Once I really started looking at the Eco its very similar design to Diesel engines. With the Direct injection, twin variable geometry turbos and very flat torque curve starting around 1800 and maxing at 2500 all the way to red line.

With this type of technology its no wonder Ford is making this the main line engine for most of the line up.

I too love the LS engines and the power they make but after driving Turbo trucks for the last 6 years I frankly wont drive one without. Plus when I'm not towing I get great milage for a 6k lb truck and when I want to tow it has TONS of low end power. Even compared to a diesels. It almost has the same power numbers as diesels just 6 years ago. That's impressive IDK who you are.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-24-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

I sure cant argue that. There beautiful no doubt
Originally Posted by DinoBob
That older GT40 is the best looking car Ford has ever made. What a beauty.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Im shocked on a corvette fourm that theres guys actually bragging on there FORDS! I love my vette and am a chev man through and through and except for one used dodge I bought every car ive owned in the 41 years ive been driving has been a GM and only two of those, a buick grand national and my wifes new buick verono turbo have been other then a chev. I

I was into fords there would be a mustang in the driveway not a vette! These posts also show that its a young bunch that are on the c4 forum. Id bet youd have to look hard to find anyone over 50 that was around when muscle cars were first here that would want a 4 or 6 cyl vette. Its almost sacrilegious!!

Corvette purist even have rejected overhead cam motors. Look at the original zr1. Cool car and state of the art when made but vette buyers didn't want all that technology they wanted performance bang for the buck. Its why you haven't seen a mid engine vette. Chev knows the market for a over 100k vette is very limited. Its the meat and potato vettes that sell.

As to a v6 I say WHY. GM has already proved that there v8s make as much power and are just as fuel efficient as fords turbo v6 motors with a simpler design with less to go wrong. think about all the money ford invested in research just to break even with Gm. So frustrated that there gas mileage still trailed a Silverado that they invested MILLIONS more to switch to aluminum. Looks good in theory but wait till the first few end up at the body shop and the insurance companys pay out megabucks to fix them and see where insurance rates on them go.

Im sure in 50 years the v8 will be a notation in the history books but most likely all internal combustion motors will be. All I can hope for the next 20 anyway that I can hear the beautiful sound of a chev v8 spinning about 6k through some open exaust and for it to be real not some yuppie car with it recorded on the fricking radio!!!! It will be a sad day for all car lovers when they pull the plug on the line that makes the last small block v8. This is seriously the last place I figured id find ford cheerleaders. Maybe its a c4 thing. A lot of younger guys here and a lot of guys that bought these cars just because they are cheap. Probably get a lot different reaction in the c6 or c7 camp

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-24-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
am a chev man through and through and except for one used dodge I bought every car ive owned in the 41 years ive been driving has been a GM and only two of those, a buick grand national and my wifes new buick verono turbo have been other then a chev.
I don't understand brand loyalist. Why would you limit yourself to one thing and not experience other offerings. Have you only had one brand of beer or buy one brand of light bulb too?

I refuse to be brand loyal for anything. I research everything and then decide on fact which brand suits my needs the best. In my drive is a Dodge, Ford, Jeep and Chevy. Each one of them, save for my C4, was bought based on best performance, cost and purpose. The C4 was completely a want. I could have had any number of sports cars when I found my C4 and it was completely an emotional purchase based on past experience.

I am "young" at 38 and I missed the 60's muscle car era. However, my dad always had some type of muscle around and we always wrenched on them. I also have always had some type of sporty vehicle in my drive to include Mustangs, Vettes, hotrod trucks, imports, sport bikes and big V-twins.

As far as how much Ford has spent on tech; let us remember which company went bankrupt. Pretty sure Ford's business model is not in jeopardy of failing anytime soon.

To address the "old timers" refusing to let go of the past; those nostalgic individuals need to read up on some history. People of that nature are why the likes of the Turbine powered car and the NV1 electric car failed before launch. The Ole' Farts of the nostalgic hay day screamin' "not on my watch".

All of this tech (electric/turbo/forced induction/fuel injection/fuel cell) that everyone accepts as new and bold tech has been thought of way before by the great pioneers of the 20's-60's. Just no one was bold enough to seriously market the change.

Don't believe me? Go research Allis-Chalmers Industrial and Agricultural of the 30's thru 60's. For example, they researched and built working alternative fuel equipment and perfected Hydro power. They were so far ahead of their time that no one could touch them but also so far ahead of their time that no one understood them either.

I still love my V8's and wish they would stay forever but I understand things move on and quickly.

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
John F. Kennedy

"There is nothing permanent except change."
Heraclitus

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."
Winston Churchill

I humbly agree to disagree with you.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

My father works at Ford, some interesting things he has heard lately. Supposedly there will be no more V8's in any of Ford's 2017 lineup, including the Mustang. The only V8 will be the 6.7 PS in the Super Duty's....

He actually just finished replacing a tach and speedometer in a 2005 Ford GT yesterday, it only had 650 miles on it. I guess it is a common problem. The guy who owns the car, also owns a few more, along with a ton of other collectible cars (ahem...Mclaren F1). When my dad asked what he did for a living, the guy pointed at a telephone pole and said, "See that telephone pole? I invented the machine that turns a tree trunk into a pole." Couldn't help but laugh on that one lol.

People make the mistake of calling the 05/06' Ford GT a GT-40. Nothing wrong with that really, as the car harkens back to possibly the best car America ever put on a race track. However, the original GT-40 was called that for a reason. The roof line was literally 40 inches from the ground. The 05/06 GT was actually 43.6" from roof to ground IIRC. In addition, someone actually owns the rights to the name "GT-40" and therefore Ford had to just use "Ford GT"

The new iteration of the GT with the 600hp eco-boost is no joke. Sure, it is a V6 and almost all of us wanted to see a V8 in it. However, Gannassi racing is already having great success with the 3.5L ecoboost power plant in their prototype Le Mans cars. Ford's plan was to release this car in an effort to get back to Le Mans in 2016 for the 50th anniversary when the REAL GT-40 won the race and took Enzo Ferrari off his todem pole. There will no longer be just privateer Ford race teams, they will be factory backed again (which is great for the sport) The more I research and look at the new car, I have no beef with it. I do wish they would have used the flat plane 5.2L V8 out of the new GT350 though. I think either way it will be highly successful. There is a guy in West Palm Beach (Heffner Performance) that takes the supercharger off 05/06' Ford GT's and replaces them with Twin Turbos. He repeatedly wins the standing mile events every year. 0-265+mph in one mile. To put that into perspective a 1 million dollar Bugatti Veyron takes close to 5 miles to each its top speed of 255. I am sure he will be able to push the envelope with the new 3.5L eco-boost GT as well.

Now...if only the Corvette C7R was allowed to actually run its production V8 instead of that detuned 5.5L 430hp engine, we could really **** off Porsche and Ferrari.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Im shocked on a corvette fourm that theres guys actually bragging on there FORDS! I love my vette and am a chev man through and through and except for one used dodge I bought every car ive owned in the 41 years ive been driving has been a GM and only two of those, a buick grand national and my wifes new buick verono turbo have been other then a chev. I

I was into fords there would be a mustang in the driveway not a vette! These posts also show that its a young bunch that are on the c4 forum. Id bet youd have to look hard to find anyone over 50 that was around when muscle cars were first here that would want a 4 or 6 cyl vette. Its almost sacrilegious!!

Corvette purist even have rejected overhead cam motors. Look at the original zr1. Cool car and state of the art when made but vette buyers didn't want all that technology they wanted performance bang for the buck. Its why you haven't seen a mid engine vette. Chev knows the market for a over 100k vette is very limited. Its the meat and potato vettes that sell.

As to a v6 I say WHY. GM has already proved that there v8s make as much power and are just as fuel efficient as fords turbo v6 motors with a simpler design with less to go wrong. think about all the money ford invested in research just to break even with Gm. So frustrated that there gas mileage still trailed a Silverado that they invested MILLIONS more to switch to aluminum. Looks good in theory but wait till the first few end up at the body shop and the insurance companys pay out megabucks to fix them and see where insurance rates on them go.

Im sure in 50 years the v8 will be a notation in the history books but most likely all internal combustion motors will be. All I can hope for the next 20 anyway that I can hear the beautiful sound of a chev v8 spinning about 6k through some open exaust and for it to be real not some yuppie car with it recorded on the fricking radio!!!! It will be a sad day for all car lovers when they pull the plug on the line that makes the last small block v8. This is seriously the last place I figured id find ford cheerleaders. Maybe its a c4 thing. A lot of younger guys here and a lot of guys that bought these cars just because they are cheap. Probably get a lot different reaction in the c6 or c7 camp
The Silverado will be switching to Aluminum too in the near future
Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hcbph
The world can't sustain the gas consumption it has for decades. If an option provides the desired performance yet gets better mileage overall, then that's better than losing out completely. Same type of debate went on when it Flatheads vs SBC's, Flatheads would rule forever according to some and nothing would ever replace it.

Let's just see how it plays out.
Yes, the world can sustain the gas consumption it has for decades. If we were to double our consumption of petroleum right this very instant, we would still have enough left for another 1,000 years! It is still the most efficient means of transportation. This is not based on politics, but legit science.

If you are into the whole pollution/emissions thing, then electric/hybrid vehicles, while efficient on the surface, are far from it. Take the Prius for example. It uses a very large Lithium Ion battery to power the electric motors when the gas engine is not being used. The batteries are mined in Germany, shipped on a large container ship to Canada where it is refined, and then shipped to Japan for manufacturing, and then the battery is sent to wherever the car is being produced! Hardly efficient from a pollution/emissions standpoint. No one ever takes this into account...

Thus, a full size pickup that will last 300+ thousand miles is far more efficient, and "environmentally friendly" than any Prius could ever be.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 01-24-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Yes, the world can sustain the gas consumption it has for decades. If we were to double of consumption of petroleum right now we would still have enough left for another 1,000 years! It is still the most efficient means of transportation. This is not based on politics, but legit science.
Would you cite a reference for your statement?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The next Corvette super car ... rear mid-engine, quad-turbo LS9.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

You kids are on notice. Please be sure to avoid stepping on Lloyd's lawn.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not going to debate politics here.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 01-24-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Let's get back on topic gentlemen and discuss cars. The Politics, Religion, and Controversy part of the forum is the place for political discussions...not here.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
The new Mustang is better than anything GM has out.
Oh yea....definitely.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

and you KNOW that HOW?
Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
The Silverado will be switching to Aluminum too in the near future
Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

why would you say that. Actually my grandson and his buddys love hanging around here. Only rule is no *** crap in the driveway. I can excuse a ford or Chrysler product but draw my line in the sand there. no megaphoned nissians or Toyotas
Originally Posted by DinoBob
You kids are on notice. Please be sure to avoid stepping on Lloyd's lawn.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-25-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

So a mustang is better then a new z06 vette!! or even a new z28 Camaro. I think you could even look at the car mags and see the z28 winning about every shoot out its in and it does well in shootouts with cars that cost twice what it does and so does the vette. tell me now what a mustang or any other ford product outperforms a zo6!! tell me what any mustang does better or how it is better. Even if you took there top dog supercharged mustang at about 60k and compare it to a standard vette that can be had at the same price. the mustang might beat it in the quarter mile and that will probably depend on drivers more then anything and then factor in that youd best be at a track because the street is a big equalizer. Few will be able to drive that mustang to its full potential on the street. Any other performace category and I mean ANY, be it handling, gas milage, longevity ect the vette will lay to waste that mustang.that wasn't meant for you tom it was meant for duramaxsky.
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Oh yea....definitely.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-25-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To shame on ford

Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

come on HP the gm buyout is the only thing the ford guys can fall back on for ammo in this fight.
Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
Let's get back on topic gentlemen and discuss cars. The Politics, Religion, and Controversy part of the forum is the place for political discussions...not here.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

come on HP the gm buyout is the only thing the ford guys can fall back on for ammo in this fight.
To each his own. I'm a GM fan, but I own a Ford Expedition also. When it comes to the pony car wars, If I'm spending my hard earned cash, I'd buy a Dodge Challenger (SRT, 392 Hemi, or Hellcat).
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
*...Same type of debate went on when it Flatheads vs SBC's, Flatheads would rule forever according to some and nothing would ever replace it.

OR... (to paraphrase..)

Same type of debate went on when it PUSHRODS vs DOHCs, PUSHRODS would rule forever according to some and nothing will ever replace it.

Juuuuuuussst sayin!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shame on ford