C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Stereo for 96 Collectors Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 PM
KTagge
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stereo for 96 Collectors Edition

I am thinking about putting a new stereo in my vette and would LOVE to have a touch screen or something that is at least nice. I know it is limited space and I do not want to reshape or anything like that. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A good start will be crutchfield.com. They have an excellent selection tool. Since you want touch screen, you will probably want to go double din. The space will fit a double din almost perfectly.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 PM
KTagge
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by csthews
A good start will be crutchfield.com. They have an excellent selection tool. Since you want touch screen, you will probably want to go double din. The space will fit a double din almost perfectly.
Thanks man! Really helps
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of information here for C4's:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/

I installed a DD in my 96 last year. It fit beautifully. I had to cut out a small section in back of the radio (completely hidden) so it sat flush with the outside of the dash. NO ADAPTER PLATE NECESSARY!!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Birddogtwo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

KTagge,
Let us know what you end up with and how you like it. I could be persuaded to upgrade easily.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM
KTagge
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Birddogtwo
KTagge,
Let us know what you end up with and how you like it. I could be persuaded to upgrade easily.
Thanks,
Dave
The main reason I asked the question was because I just got the car from my dad who had driven it for 17 years as a DD. I am a gear head that respects the car as is but I would like to be able to use my Phone to play music as well. My original plan was to keep the whole car original and screw anything up and i think that is what I am going to do. If I do anything I will update you if you would like!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was gonna leave mine stock, but it's kind of poor looking. I was going to just leave it alone and use a cassette adapter, but it takes about a dozen tries for it to accept a tape and play it.

So, I'll probably look for something fairly unobtrusive. I'd not considered a double din, that would probably look pretty good, for that matter.

Y'know, what we really need in this day and age of computers is a double din radio that has a video representation of what the original radio looked like. So, you'd have a touch sensitive screen that looked like an original '84 radio complete with buttons and cassette opening...

Get notified of new replies

To New Stereo for 96 Collectors Edition

Quick Reply: New Stereo for 96 Collectors Edition