C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Headlight Motor Question

How much end play should there be in the headlight motor shaft and I assume the nut on the end is for adjusting the play?

Rick
Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time for a rebuild

The more play the more likely the plastic parts in the gears are worn. They are designed that way. What year is your car?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

The car is an 89, but the play I was asking about is in the motor shaft, has nothing to do with the plastic gear, it is the worm gear and shaft.

I went ahead and adjusted it to where there's almost zero play.

Rick
Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

I am also wondering how these little motors know when to stop. Does it stop when it senses a certain level of resistance? There cannot be any set run time as they will work properly if the headlight is partially opened manually or will run overtime if a gear is stripped.

I also disconnected the iffy motor and applied 12v to it directly. It still only partially opens the light, works exactly the same as when all properly connected.

So as a SWAG I'm think the motor is weak and is shutting off when it feels resistance in mid operation while opening and also shutting off before fully closing leaving about 3/4" of the door still open.

I've already ordered a rebuilt motor so we'll know soon if I have solved the port side headlight problem. I sure would like to meet the designer of these little "prodigies of the devil" and take him out to dinner, for spoiled fish, tainted beef and undercooked pork.

Rick
Old 01-30-2015, 02:16 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I am also wondering how these little motors know when to stop. Does it stop when it senses a certain level of resistance? There cannot be any set run time as they will work properly if the headlight is partially opened manually or will run overtime if a gear is stripped.

I also disconnected the iffy motor and applied 12v to it directly. It still only partially opens the light, works exactly the same as when all properly connected.

So as a SWAG I'm think the motor is weak and is shutting off when it feels resistance in mid operation while opening and also shutting off before fully closing leaving about 3/4" of the door still open.

I've already ordered a rebuilt motor so we'll know soon if I have solved the port side headlight problem. I sure would like to meet the designer of these little "prodigies of the devil" and take him out to dinner, for spoiled fish, tainted beef and undercooked pork.

Rick
Seems to me that the Fiero ones had a slightly moving worm gear that would rise up to open a switch and stop the motor. When you applied power again, the worm would drop down and the points would make contact again until they hit bottom again.

Or it could have been a fever dream...
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

AHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!

This dang port side headlight is STILL giving me fits and won't completely close nor open but half way w/hood down but opens w/hood up.

I've replace the gears, then the bushings, then a rebuilt motor, tested it using the starboard side headlight wires, tested it used a 12v power source, it's always the same.

It seems the little silver flat piece that connects the motor cam to the headlight pivot arm is too short for the motor to completely close the door, but there is enough play to push it closed manually, just won't stay. The motor cam arm is at it's max length when closed, there's no way to get more travel out of it.

This is really frustrating, been working on it for months. I guess all that's left to do is buy the whole headlight a$$embly or continue to do what I've been doing, not driving at night.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Motor Question

Quick Reply: Headlight Motor Question