Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Who else drive their vette in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

what kind of nerd lifts a 2wd diesel truck??????????
Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Wow I can't believe the utter stupidly of some people who post on this forum.
Remember stupidity or craziness are relative. Just because you find it stupid or crazy does not mean everyone else will or has too.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default driving in the snow

Originally Posted by octaneforce
If you would ever like to indulge in the foolery, i invite you to drive my properly equipped car in our next snow storm and see for yourself!
One of the big probs of driving the Corvette in the the snow is the other nincompoops that are ready to smash into you . Early on I learned that wide tires are horrible in the snow. You would think a wide tire would have more surface area for better traction but the opposite is true. Had a Vega(yes a Vega) with wide ovals and it was horrible. Drove a Spitfire in the winter(when it would start) in the midwest going to college because I had to. I did have snow tires on it. The car was a ball to drive. If you check out tire rack they are telling you to buy your snow tires a size or 2 thinner than your standard size. Sorry about the fool remark since I do not believe in name calling. Good luck and put the car away for the winter except for emergencies.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I should head on over to the Prius forum and check out the rock crawlin posts...... of course only a Prius equipped the proper under inflated all terrain tires should try such a thing!
And I can't believe the utter rudeness of some people who post in this forum. If someone wants to equip a Prius for rock crawling, more power to them.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
octaneforce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxdaemon
and i can't believe the utter rudeness of some people who post in this forum. If someone wants to equip a prius for rock crawling, more power to them.

hahahah
Old 01-28-2015, 12:50 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

What is "snow"?

Rick
Attached Images  

Last edited by shootnstarz; 01-28-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
What is "snow"?

Rick
You have to be careful posting pictures like that where people embedded in frost, snow, ice and fog can see them. Just sayin'...
Old 01-29-2015, 12:24 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Who is stupid? The person who has successfully done it, using the right equipment (tires)? Or the nay-sayer who sits and shouts out that others are stupid? Yikes.

Here is me being...."utterly stupid"...

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-29-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Although sometimes it gets a little snowy here in Finland...

...it doesn't stop my car

Even though it gets pretty cold... That's the coldest temperature (so far), when I have driven mine:

Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The lifted C3 was a laugh.
I always wanted a girlfriend who looked like that and was willing to push my car, in stilettos.
And in Finland, what choice do you have?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

As long as you don't put a big metal wing on it they don't care much. I would drive one in the snow... Not mine, and not with out just doing it for fun and nothing better to do.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pologreen1
As long as you don't put a big metal wing on it they don't care much. I would drive one in the snow... Not mine, and not with out just doing it for fun and nothing better to do.
Big metal wing would give you more down pressure and better traction in the snow - what's wrong with you!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Big metal wing would give you more down pressure and better traction in the snow - what's wrong with you!
Especially at aerodynamically-effective speeds, like 80+ mph
Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Especially at aerodynamically-effective speeds, like 80+ mph
Exactly!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Who is stupid? The person who has successfully done it, using the right equipment (tires)? Or the nay-sayer who sits and shouts out that others are stupid? Yikes.

Here is me being...."utterly stupid"...
Yes I can see the shoe fits you well, as you readily admit and I'm very glad that you've accepted the obvious.

You might get better traction if you install studded tires on your "winter" vette.
While your at it a lift would help tremendously as well. Just a couple of "using the right equipment" suggestions to help you "set up" your C4 for deep snow tracking....... because it doesn't look like your "using the right equipment" at all.

Last edited by mako41; 01-30-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

The first year I had my Vette, I took it to work in November and it snowed that day. I took a picture of it and captioned it, "This is just wrong!"
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
What is "snow"?

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Who else drive their vette in the snow

Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

While your at it a lift would help tremendously as well. Just a couple of "using the right equipment" suggestions to help you "set up" your C4 for deep snow tracking....... because it doesn't look like your "using the right equipment" at all.
That's b/c you don't know WTF you're talking about. If you did, you'd see "the right equipment" (Tires). That pic above was taken outside my office at work; 10,000' elevation at the Mtn Operation building at Telluride Ski Resort. Proof is in the fact that I (and others) have driven the 'Vette just fine in snow. Other "Stupid" cars too; we also have a CTS-V that serves year round duty in Park City UT (355" annual snow fall). That you haven't and/or don't think it can be done, (or think it's "stupid") simply proves how stupid YOU are. Other's are doing it w/no issues...so how is it "stupid"?

You got pretty heavily "beat" by other posters after your last post...yet you come back for more. Masochist?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-30-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

I would love to have a winter corvette to drive when the weather gets cold. My wife thinks I am crazy. Then I found this article!! This should make interesting reading.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a24841/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-long-term-intro/

Last edited by seijack; 01-31-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That's b/c you don't know WTF you're talking about. If you did, you'd see "the right equipment" (Tires). That pic above was taken outside my office at work; 10,000' elevation at the Mtn Operation building at Telluride Ski Resort. Proof is in the fact that I (and others) have driven the 'Vette just fine in snow. Other "Stupid" cars too; we also have a CTS-V that serves year round duty in Park City UT (355" annual snow fall). That you haven't and/or don't think it can be done, (or think it's "stupid") simply proves how stupid YOU are. Other's are doing it w/no issues...so how is it "stupid"?

You got pretty heavily "beat" by other posters after your last post...yet you come back for more. Masochist?

Hmmm, Me thinks you need to get a life and a 4WD truck! They work much better in the snow! Trust me!

I've driven my '89 C4 just once in the snow... had no choice got caught in an unexpected storm. It couldn't have been any worse, barely made it home in one piece. Worst possible snow driving experience of my life..... now to knowingly choose to operate my C4 again in the snow could only make me one thing, very, very STUPID! I choose not to be that dumb...... A C4 was never meant to be driven in the snow. NEVER!!!!!

But hey its a free country, if that's your ignorant choice feel free to make it, just don't ruin someone else's day because of your own lack of common sense or responsibility.

You work at a ski resort and commute there with a vette! Really!!
Do you think your "winter" vette is an excellent choice for a work commute that takes you 10,000' up a mountain in Telluride Colorado.
What would you do if caught in a storm with your "winter" vette while at work? Drive it down the mountain... because your properly equipped with winter tires? Or send for the caddy CTS-V

One might guess those who choose to defend stupid, might in fact be stupid. Just a thought, which may or may not be true in this case.

Have a nice day! In the snow, with your "winter equipped" vette, just don't play out there to long or your nice C4 may just not make it to see another summer.

Please note:
I'm really not interested in your response to any of the questions I've asked in this post. Those are for you and others to think about.
I'll leave you with a quote from that Great American Hero, Forrest Gump......... "Stupid is what Stupid does"

Last edited by mako41; 01-31-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Who else drive their vette in the snow