C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Who else drive their vette in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:47 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

And we still have the winter...

Had to stop on the way to the cottage, because there was a problem with another vehicle, it had got stuck...

...but with a little help they got it all the way up. Chain on and go!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
MN JIM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in 1970 when I was just getting out of high school my cousin had a 67 Vette, 427 tripower, 435 horse. At that time all any of us could afford was one car so it was his daily driver. He drove it through Wisconsin winters for 5 years. He traded it on a van in 1973 and got $2800 for it in trade. During the gas crunch nobody wanted them.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I live in Texas and retierd so don't have to you should see the fools down here I was in Mich for over 30 years and here I won't evan go out in my Hummer can not dodge all the idiots and am way out numberd
Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Winter's over - stop talkin' about snow!!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I plan to daily drive mine, so yes I'll be driving it in snow (cautiously). If there is more than 2-3 inches on the ground, I will have to borrow either my uncles or father's car for the day. Although, I do believe the vette can survive through a good amount of snow as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing. What's the most amount of snow (inches) you guys have driven yours through? I've driven in about 6 inches before, had to be very light on the gas and drive like my grandma's grandma during turns.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I just stumbled across some GM information that fits this thread. It is from a 1994 sales brochure.

They also used a cropped version of this picture for the dealer wall posters in '94. I have had one on my refrigerator's top section since 1995. I had a new '94 Admiral Blue that looked just like it and the dealer gave me the poster.

Last edited by QCVette; 08-27-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Good find!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Next time it snows here in SoCal I'm going to give it a try.

Rick
Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Interesting Info for Snow

For those who have the early small brake C4's, the 15x6 inch Rally Wheel used on a lot of Chevrolet cars will fit the early C4 and give the option of using a bunch of winter treads from Blizack's to really aggressive studded ice race tires.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette

Cool ad pic. LOL about the inset photo caption:
"You're in control
Traction control is a computer controlled system which
...."

^Oxymoron
Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine if we got snow I could....
Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

My DD had a dead battery one snowy day so I took my daughter to school in my track car with slicks. The roads were a mix of snow pack and slush. It drove better than expected! Starting off wasn't bad but it's an automatic. I mentioned it in a different snow thread and got told I was lying! LOL

Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
My DD had a dead battery one snowy day so I took my daughter to school in my track car with slicks. The roads were a mix of snow pack and slush. It drove better than expected! Starting off wasn't bad but it's an automatic. I mentioned it in a different snow thread and got told I was lying! LOL.....[/IMG]
I would be afraid of slicks in the snow.

I once drove home from the track on slicks when we got rained out and I didn't feel like changing them in the rain. The car was skating pretty bad, but I made it home OK. I don't think I would do that again, let alone if it was snow.

I also had some M&H Racemaster street and strip tires on a '71 Trans Am (4 speed). It really surprised me how well they did in the snow. I suspect that being very soft tread compound helped get what traction it could. I actually was behind a snow plow that got stuck on a hill and I pulled out around him in the deeper snow and went around him with those tires. Nobody believes me about that time either, but it happened.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by QCVette
I would be afraid of slicks in the snow.

I once drove home from the track on slicks when we got rained out and I didn't feel like changing them in the rain. The car was skating pretty bad, but I made it home OK. I don't think I would do that again, let alone if it was snow.

I also had some M&H Racemaster street and strip tires on a '71 Trans Am (4 speed). It really surprised me how well they did in the snow. I suspect that being very soft tread compound helped get what traction it could. I actually was behind a snow plow that got stuck on a hill and I pulled out around him in the deeper snow and went around him with those tires. Nobody believes me about that time either, but it happened.
I believe it. Remember; slicks on rain (water) = tires not in contact w/the road at all (when they hydroplane). Slicks on SNOW, you still have contact with the ground....and the soft compound likely does bite the snow fairly well.
I once drove a Trans Am in a blizzard with BFG G-Force R1's. Basically a road course slick tire. It wasn't ideal....but it did O.K. and got me where I was headed...to the race track!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:58 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I believe it. Remember; slicks on rain (water) = tires not in contact w/the road at all (when they hydroplane). Slicks on SNOW, you still have contact with the ground....and the soft compound likely does bite the snow fairly well.
I once drove a Trans Am in a blizzard with BFG G-Force R1's. Basically a road course slick tire. It wasn't ideal....but it did O.K. and got me where I was headed...to the race track!
I told myself I wasn't going to post anything more in this thread..... but your above statement may actually be the dumbest thing I've ever read on an automobile forum. EVER!!!!!!

Now how is it possible slicks could ever be in contact with the ground if the ground is covered in snow?

And.... lets not forget this gem " the soft compound likely does bite the snow fairly well" now how the hell is a slick tire with no tread at all going to bite into snow with no tread blocks or siping to bite into anything??

Once again please note;
I'm really not interested in your response to any of the questions I've asked in this post. Those are for you and others to think about. Go ahead defend your completely ridiculous statements about slicks in the snow! Should make for some interesting forum entertainment.

Last edited by mako41; 10-23-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by mako41
I told myself I wasn't going to post anything more in this thread..... but your above statement may actually be the dumbest thing I've ever read on an automobile forum. EVER!!!!!!

Now how is it possible slicks could ever be in contact with the ground if the ground is covered in snow?

And.... lets not forget this gem " the soft compound likely does bite the snow fairly well" now how the hell is a slick tire with no tread at all going to bite into snow with no tread blocks or siping to bite into anything??

Once again please note;
I'm really not interested in your response to any of the questions I've asked in this post.
So...what was your reason for posting, then? Of course you're interested....and it's obvious that you could use the education.

When slicks (or any tire -even snow specific tires) are on snow, the snow IS, "the ground". You're trying to get the tire to have friction w/the snow surface. I'm sorry that you were confused by the term "ground" when "snow surface" would have been better. What ever title you want to give the thing that the tire is touching, that "thing" is a better surface to achieve traction, than that provided by a tire planing on top of water, which is effectively zero traction, in any direction. And that is the context in which I was talking about slicks on snow -compared to slicks on standing water. QCVette talked about the dangers of rain, and he and Aardwolf both expressed surprise at the effectiveness of slicks on snow. Due to my experience driving on snow, I simply stated that I am not surprised at his results, and offered some thoughts as to why.

How will the slick tire "bite into snow" w/no tread or siping? Not very well. I don't think that I ever advocated using slicks for snow tires...if I did, please quote where I did that. What I DID say, was that I can believe that the tires did work on snow, b/c they're SOFT. Even the surface of a slick tire is irregular...and so is snow. If the rubber is soft and compliant, it seems reasonable that it could conform and adhere to the snow surface somewhat. As good as a Blizzak? I never said that or implied it. Better than a tire planing on water? Certainly.

Poke fun all you want, but some actually HAVE driven their 'Vettes (and other sporty cars) in snow and know how it works. Other's like you're self poke ignorant fun, from afar having no experience from which to draw on, or comment w/any intelligence. Just because you can't "get it", doesn't mean it doesn't work. Nice of you to drag up an old thread for no purpose other than to bash with ignorance. What a great forum contributor!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-24-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:32 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

FWIW, my 2010 Mazda MX5 on some WS70 Blizzacks will go like crazy thru the snow. I've driven it straight up hill in 6" of fresh-ish powder and it was fine. All last winter and I never got stuck and never had and issue.

Those of you who think you cannot drive sports cars in the snow are full of it. Proper tires and not being an idiot=Your fine.

You need narrower tires than a stock Corvette sizes but I bet my 93 would do just as well. A set of 245's on some 8.5" sawblades=DONE.

Get notified of new replies

To Who else drive their vette in the snow

Old 10-25-2015, 05:58 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
....Those of you who think you cannot drive sports cars in the snow are full of it. Proper tires and not being an idiot=Your fine.....
Exactly.
You need good tires and some common sense driving. You can not expect to use all of the handling and power on slippery roads.

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
....You need narrower tires than a stock Corvette sizes but I bet my 93 would do just as well. A set of 245's on some 8.5" sawblades=DONE.
I had the same thought and I bought another set of sawblades. I have all 4 9.5" on the car now, and I was planning to use the set of 8.5" with smaller tires for occasional winter driving, longer road trips, or just to keep from flat spotting my summer tires from being parked for a while.

I ran 255/50/16 Falken Ziex 512 tires on '88 16" wheels for the winter on my '88 and my '94. They worked pretty well.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Meh, why run your pretty sports car in snow or on ice when there are many better, safer options out there?

I grew up in western Montana, lots of snow. Lived in the Northwest most of my life, except three hellish years in Houston. I know snow and ice. I love to slide a car around on it, and will tow a trailer or car on ice. I don't drive the Vette in it. Frankly, not only is it not a good snow car, other people tend to hit you, and I don't want that.

As far as bald or slick tires on snow and ice, I had a '65 Dodge Coronet (pushbutton tranny) when I was a kid, and couldn't afford tires. Bald tires all winter, driving around the Missoula area. Frankly, I thought the bald tires worked pretty well on that RWD car. I did some hairy driving as a kid, and never slid off the road out of control or hit anyone. So yeah, it can be done. Druther not.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

BTW Tom, it's my understanding that soft compound tires tend to harden up when they are cold. I don't know to what degree (no pun intended).

I used to drive my Fiat 124 Spider in the snow all the time. I'd put a pair of walnut shell studded tires on the back and go like hell. Now that was a fun sports car to drive in the snow.

Quick Reply: Who else drive their vette in the snow