C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Idea for Unsticking Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New Idea for Unsticking Hood

My '88's hood was stuck (and battery dead) and no amount of coat hanger finagling would release it. So, I had it towed to a local shop. When I went to pick it up my mechanic laughed because of how easy it was to fix. What he did was get down in the driver side footwell and pull the handle as far is it would go. Then, he grabbed the cable with a pair of pliers and pulled the cable until it released. After that he tightened up the connection at the release and now it works as good as new. I have yet to try it, but if it works it may save the lives of some metal hangers.

I am not sure if this is posted somewhere else, but I never saw it during my searching for a solution.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

that method wouldn't work if cable broke....although you can make them yourself for next to nothing the emergency cable release kits don't cost much and are easy to install and work great....
Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

where's the 10% veterans discount?.....I know....

ace doesn't give it..shame on them............should have gotten it at lowes....would have only been 2 something.....
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by playsdixie

ace doesn't give it..shame on them............should have gotten it at lowes....would have only been 2 something.....
PPPPPFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!.

Took some 6" wire ties from work, drilled a hole in the wiper/windscreen drip tray, and looped the tie-wraps like ron's Picture.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
jasonkraft
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great, I've got some stainless cable and crimps I use for shark fishing "new weekend project"
Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can't get steel cable, para cord or the like will do just the same.

Its a good time to grease the release catches too.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The "tool" used for releasing the hood, cost around 20/25 bucks. Works great after you learn to use it. I had to buy one after my emergency cables broke ( poor instillation). Have now done a much better job.. its a heck of a lot easier than the "tool".
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll ask here to avoid a new thread. Is the hood supposed to "pop up" when the release is pulled? Mine just sits there and has to be pulled up from the fully closed position. The cable is adjusted right, just seems like the springs are weak.

Rick
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I'll ask here to avoid a new thread. Is the hood supposed to "pop up" when the release is pulled? Mine just sits there and has to be pulled up from the fully closed position. The cable is adjusted right, just seems like the springs are weak.

Rick
Yes, it should pop up a couple inches when released.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie

Wouldn't be worth the three hours it would take to find these pieces at Lowes because their hired staff is too dumb to stock items in the correct bins.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should see how they unload drywall from my truck when I deliver there....Better going to mom an pop hardware store for stainless cable and crimps.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Rick
Mine does too. I greased and worked on it for an hour or so and never got it to pop. It's my '84, and I suspect the little gas strut helpers are dead and the hood is too heavy to pop without them. I know it's a LOT harder to get my hood raised on my '84 than my '94.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/7709/
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

My 85 doesn't "pop" either....also farted around with it....changed the struts but those two little struts on a 85 wouldn't help....they help closing it so it doesn't slam but little help lifting. Guessing you'd either have to change the spring or get the mid engine strut used on later model c=4's
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

My 89 didn't have any assist boosters on it. I also haven't seen any replacement springs at any of the suppliers. Anybody know who has them?

Rick
Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93
Wouldn't be worth the three hours it would take to find these pieces at Lowes because their hired staff is too dumb to stock items in the correct bins.
you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
They do have some very good staff there that know what their talking about. Trouble is, not many of them do. Look for some of the older folks. I used to be the tool "go to guy" at the local Lowes b4 I went on to better things and better paychecks.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Is the hood supposed to "pop up" when the release is pulled?
Yes. If it doesn't then the hood studs are not centered in the hood latch holes. You need to loosen the three bolts that hold the hood studs/springs to the hood and move the plate until the stud goes into the latch hole perfectly.

The best method I've heard of (but not tried) is to put masking tape over the latch holes and then grease the stud and lower it until it just touches the masking tape and leaves a mark. That will tell you how close the studs are to the center of the latch hole.

Get notified of new replies

To New Idea for Unsticking Hood

Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 AM
murraybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw

I made some like this a few years ago and they worked great. For my current car I got lazy and bought some pre-made ones. These can save a lot of grief for a broken cable, or just when the cables get stretched a little, especially on the passenger side which has the longest cable.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Yes. If it doesn't then the hood studs are not centered in the hood latch holes. You need to loosen the three bolts that hold the hood studs/springs to the hood and move the plate until the stud goes into the latch hole perfectly.

The best method I've heard of (but not tried) is to put masking tape over the latch holes and then grease the stud and lower it until it just touches the masking tape and leaves a mark. That will tell you how close the studs are to the center of the latch hole.
Thanks Cliff, I will definitely do that. This forum is priceless.

Rick
Old 02-04-2015, 08:45 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I collected my car after the engine swap the hood got stuck---the passenger side just wouldn't release. We tried to get to the latch via the wheel well, but discovered the inner fender has a couple of rivets in addition to the sheet metal screws. That's when I thought of grabbing the cable end & pulling.

Once we got it open we removed the passenger side latch. The cable for that side had a break in the housing that prevented it from working.

I installed some emergency cables like shown in previous posts & eventually had a local dealership install a new cable.

Quick Reply: New Idea for Unsticking Hood