C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help with the A/C in my 95

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Help with the A/C in my 95

Hoping to get some feedback about the ac and heat in my 95. I have the automatic climate control system that is not flashing any signs but the heat will not get hot and the ac will not get cold. The cruise control works great and the car runs normal to cool-180 to 203. Any comments are much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Does the blower turn on and does the diverter switch the airflow between the dash/floor/defroster vents ? Does the A/C compressor come on when commanded ? Do the hoses to the heater core get hot ?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default heat and air

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Hoping to get some feedback about the ac and heat in my 95. I have the automatic climate control system that is not flashing any signs but the heat will not get hot and the ac will not get cold. The cruise control works great and the car runs normal to cool-180 to 203. Any comments are much appreciated!
If you select air conditioning or heat can you change the readout on the panel for cooler or warmer readout?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

With the advice of my mechanic cousin, I bought some $44 manifold gauges and checked the refrigerant levels. I figured this was not an issue by I was not receiving a 09 low freon code. Anyway, I hooked up the gauges and quickly found out that it was bone dry. Once I put in about a half a can of the r134a, the compressor started to cycle. I just bought the car in November and haven't had a reason to think that the ac wasn't working correctly bc I always use the climate control function and it has been cooler than 60 even here in North Louisiana. I ended up putting a can and a half and now have freezing code ac. Another posted had posted that refrigerant doesn't just "go away" so there must be a leak. This is actually not true. After researching from numerous ac tec companies (I run a large restaraunt so they are very accessible) if a car compressor is not use, the car sat for a year before I bought her, the vacuum pressure in the compressor is lost and the freon escapes without there actually being a leak. I was told that an ac should be used every day to keep the vacuum strong and the oil circulating. Learn something new every day!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have to disagree with your A/C "techs". Yes, lack of use can lead to system failure, but only because of the seals drying out due to lack of lubrication. A properly charged A/C system is never in a vacuum. Freon cannot escape unless there is a leak somewhere in the system. The only time you should see a vacuum in an A/C system is during recovery/evacuation of the system.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:33 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The refrigerant can escape through the rubber AC hoses, especially with the earlier hoses that don't have barrier linings in them.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with the A/C in my 95

Quick Reply: Help with the A/C in my 95