Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Rusty" Dark Red Metallics - Paint Code 74 ('86-'88 Vettes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default "Rusty" Dark Red Metallics - Paint Code 74 ('86-'88 Vettes)

I have yet to see this color in person (which is odd since it was actually a fairly high production number). My question is: Just how much does lighting and angle effect the hue of this color? I swear, from what I've seen in photos, in some lights and angles it looks like a true burgundy red, while in other lighting conditions (especially high exposure/sunlight/fluorescent lighting etc) it looks damn near burnt-orange and not red at all.

So, to those of you that own or have recently been close to this color, how dynamic do you find the color? Or does it generally just look like a rusty red/brown color? Metallic paints can definitely look different at different times of day and under different lighting, so I'm curious what you guys have to say about this one. 1989+ were codes 68 and 75, respectively, which were more true dark reds.

Pics are welcomed, btw.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I have yet to see this color in person (which is odd since it was actually a fairly high production number). My question is: Just how much does lighting and angle effect the hue of this color? I swear, from what I've seen in photos, in some lights and angles it looks like a true burgundy red, while in other lighting conditions (especially high exposure/sunlight/fluorescent lighting etc) it looks damn near burnt-orange and not red at all.

So, to those of you that own or have recently been close to this color, how dynamic do you find the color? Or does it generally just look like a rusty red/brown color? Metallic paints can definitely look different at different times of day and under different lighting, so I'm curious what you guys have to say about this one. 1989+ were codes 68 and 75, respectively, which were more true dark reds.

Pics are welcomed, btw.
In the garage or when the vette is outside in low sunlight conditions the car looks like a dark red. Out in the bright sunlight it can look like a rusty brown. I still they should not have called it a Dark Red Metallic because it looks more brownish to me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

That image displayed upside down and has me all disoriented!

But yeah, interesting. That's kind of what I expected to hear. It seems when I see images of it on cloudy days, it looks dark red. But high light conditions make it more orange-brownish. Sort of like a sunburst color. In that image it looks pretty red to me. Almost seems like a chameleon color.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Oklahoma Adam
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have it anymore but I really like the color. You really need to see it in person but here are a couple of pictures of my old 86 in daylight. I never thought it looked brown though.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Adam
I don't have it anymore but I really like the color. You really need to see it in person but here are a couple of pictures of my old 86 in daylight. I never thought it looked brown though.

[/URL]
Gotta be one of my most favorite colors. If I had the skill to paint a metallic paint, that would be my choice for my '84 this summer. As it is, I'll likely go with Torch Red.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Had mine repainted but have a few older pics and it really depends on the sunlight, time of day and camera used to get a true representation of the exact color.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

mine was red....changed it to this....looks quite different in the sun compared to the shade.....
Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Nice, glad you're all sharing. Pretty unique color. Anyone have an image of it in particularly harsh bright light where it looks more copperish? A whole lot of these seem to be showing the redness. Also seems like people kind of disagree on how red or rusty/brown/orange it is. I wonder if where you live has to do with that (like how harsh the sunlight is, how often its cloudy, etc).

I think this photo from vettefacts.com is a neat example.

The indirectly lighted areas are red, the directly lighted areas are kind of coppery.

I saw one particular car where it was roughly high noon sunlight (short shadows around the car), pics taken in the Arizona desert, and the photographer was using flash on top of it (could see it in the reflection). Looked like burnt orange, lol. Too light to call brown, too dark to call orange.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Nice, glad you're all sharing. Pretty unique color. Anyone have an image of it in particularly harsh bright light where it looks more copperish?.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Here is another shot taken last summer that shows off the more copper brown side of DRM
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

That's a pretty awesome shot. I love DRM.

Anyone have insight into the paint mixture and process for DRM 74? It almost seems like there's a tiny overlap with the rare 66U (copper metallic/dark orange). Like if you took dark red and just slightly mixed in a trace of copper.

Speaking of copper 66U, you don't see the early copper variant very often (which surprises me, because its a neat color). If this is the actual factory color, its notably darker than the '94 version, which is much more golden.

^ Apparently this one sold at Barrett in Scottsdale last year. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...E-COUPE-162315

In fact, there's one for sale in the Phoenix area right now. Can't confirm if its one of the original 87 '87s (I talked to the dealer and he can't find any RPO's or anything - just the tags on the door).
Old 02-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

That's a pretty awesome shot. I love DRM. Anyone have insight into the paint mixture and process for DRM 74? It almost seems like there's a tiny overlap with the rare 66U (copper metallic/dark orange). Like if you took dark red and just slightly mixed in a trace of copper. Speaking of copper 66U, you don't see the early copper variant very often (which surprises me, because its a neat color). If this is the actual factory color, its notably darker than the '94 version, which is much more golden. ^ Apparently this one sold at Barrett in Scottsdale last year. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...E-COUPE-162315 In fact, there's one for sale in the Phoenix area right now. Can't confirm if its one of the original 87 '87s (I talked to the dealer and he can't find any RPO's or anything - just the tags on the door).
That copper, dark red metallic, silver and born with white were my final four color choices for my repaint. White is so boring compared to those, but white in the shade produces a mighty fine glossy shine. Eek, just realized I sound like Dr Seuss....
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dt86
That copper, dark red metallic, silver and born with white were my final four color choices for my repaint. White is so boring compared to those, but white in the shade produces a mighty fine glossy shine. Eek, just realized I sound like Dr Seuss....
Good choices there. Were you staying with only color codes available in the '86 MY?

I'm not a fan of white on cars, but I know I love the C4 because I'll swoon even when I see one in white. And since I'm a stickler for originality, I agree with your choice.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Here's a shot like prinzSD455 which shows about the same color out in the bright sunlight.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Good choices there. Were you staying with only color codes available in the '86 MY? I'm not a fan of white on cars, but I know I love the C4 because I'll swoon even when I see one in white. And since I'm a stickler for originality, I agree with your choice.
Not necessarily the 86 model year but definitely wanted to stay with early C4 colors.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
Here's a shot like prinzSD455 which shows about the same color out in the bright sunlight.

I see a lot of copper and bronze, but where's the car?
Old 02-04-2015, 03:59 AM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Adam

I LOVE that color! Its on my Top 3 list for sure for Vettes in that period.

Get notified of new replies

To "Rusty" Dark Red Metallics - Paint Code 74 ('86-'88 Vettes)

Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 AM
86V
Instructor

[IMG]

PLEASE tell me more about the air induction thing you have going on under by the air dam!!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 86V
PLEASE tell me more about the air induction thing you have going on under by the air dam!!
Sorry, don't have it anymore. It was a 1 piece fiber-glass that I bought from either Mid America or Eckler's a long time ago. Kept hitting things and scraping the center which would clean up pretty good with BBQ black paint. Finally ripped most of it apart with an off-road excursion so now I'm back with the 3-piece original air dam.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:03 AM
86V
Instructor

Sorry, don't have it anymore. It was a 1 piece fiber-glass that I bought from either Mid America or Eckler's a long time ago. Kept hitting things and scraping the center which would clean up pretty good with BBQ black paint. Finally ripped most of it apart with an off-road excursion so now I'm back with the 3-piece original air dam.
I hear you. I have to be very careful parking the Vette not to hit the Curb thingy. When you had it Did it have any performance gains you can remember? Did the car run cooler?

That's a part of the car I'd like to modify in the future. Its 100% stock however I do change the drivers side of the 3 piece air dam every 2-3 yrs thanks to a parking mishap. Its not really a visible item unless your on the floor but I dig the one piece aftermarket ones like you had.

Quick Reply: "Rusty" Dark Red Metallics - Paint Code 74 ('86-'88 Vettes)