C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

SLP cold air induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Vikingvette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP cold air induction

Has anyone had any issues installing or after installation issues? Thinking about putting it on my 94.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are referring to the "Claw" it has been on my 94 for many years. Be sure to use their spacers on the stock screws and that they are not pulling out of the plastic tops or you could puncture your a/c condenser.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Also be aware that the SLP "CAI" is does in no way, draw "cold air" in a C4. In fact, there is literally no benefit to it at all, other than psychological ones (you spent money, put in a part, and THINK your car is better now). For the price of the SLP CLAW, you could buy a cam, or a plethora of other parts, that would actually make your car faster.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Also be aware that the SLP "CAI" is does in no way, draw "cold air" in a C4. In fact, there is literally no benefit to it at all, other than psychological ones (you spent money, put in a part, and THINK your car is better now). For the price of the SLP CLAW, you could buy a cam, or a plethora of other parts, that would actually make your car faster.
True, but I bought mine on here that was hardly used for $100 shipped
OP, I didn't notice a power gain, very easy to install.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 PM
blue94
Pro

Most definate! If you are doing this for a performance gain, DON'T, I liked the look. If looking for a performance mod, spend the money on something else.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Vikingvette
Navigator

If I go with a cam...what is the average cost to have it done?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 PM
blue94
Pro

if looking for performance mods you need to list a few things... trans, rear gear, stock?, and do you wrench yourself.

If you have an auto with the 2.59 rear gear changing that to a 3.07 or more will really wake it up and not set you back to much.

Look under the center console lid to see if the options from the factory is still there. get the codes and then do a serach for them... there is a post somewher here listing what they are.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Vikingvette
Navigator

Originally Posted by blue94
if looking for performance mods you need to list a few things... trans, rear gear, stock?, and do you wrench yourself.

If you have an auto with the 2.59 rear gear changing that to a 3.07 or more will really wake it up and not set you back to much.

Look under the center console lid to see if the options from the factory is still there. get the codes and then do a serach for them... there is a post somewher here listing what they are.
It has an aftermarket console. It is a six speed. I just bought it on wed. I ordered a build sheet from ncm. Everything is stock on the car except borla exhaust.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 PM
blue94
Pro

Originally Posted by Vikingvette
It has an aftermarket console. It is a six speed. I just bought it on wed. I ordered a build sheet from ncm. Everything is stock on the car except borla exhaust.
with a 6 speed you probably have a 3.45 rear gear. Just a heads up if and when you do long tube headers that exhaust is going to get a big drone issue. Whit my 94 the Borla was the first thing I did. Then when I modded the car and added LT's and 3 inch to the mufflers the drone was so bad I removed the Borla mufflers and put the stock ones on. Sounded kick *** but I could not handle the drone.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

"The cold-air package and flow booster added 8.3 hp and 9.8 lb-ft at the tires on the otherwise-unmodified Vette. The entire setup is contained within the factory bodywork, so there's no cutting involved and no risk of water ingestion."

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...k/viewall.html
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
"The cold-air package and flow booster added 8.3 hp and 9.8 lb-ft at the tires on the otherwise unmodified Vette. The entire setup is contained within the factory bodywork, so there's no cutting involved and no risk of water ingestion."

No reflection on you, B&B, but that article is pathetic!

The misplaced data figures and the word-smithing is so badly edited as to make the reader wonder if the dang thing is written in code or something!

So... posting LT4 numbers as result of rockers, an air foil, and the "Claw", sans porting - on the heals of THAT article... Let the buyer beware!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

The misplaced data figures and the word-smithing is so badly edited as to make the reader wonder if the dang thing is written in code or something!

So... posting LT4 numbers as result of rockers, an air foil, and the "Claw", sans porting - on the heals of THAT article... Let the buyer beware!
Those were the only #s I could find concerning the SLP claw. They look to be accurate due to the fact that the power #s for the rockers and cat back seem to be true to what others have seen. And yes, the air foil does a little something:

http://www.ws6.com/mod-4.htm

I have a claw on mine. I cut an opening in the shroud to allow 'cold air' to reach the filters. The car ended up with a crisper throttle response, cooler temps and better top end. Gave me a consistent 1.5 mph bump in the quarter with similar weather conditions. I didn't test it without the hole in the shroud, so maybe that made up for most of the gain. But in stock form, it is not a cold air system.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read part of the article to my wife - her response was "Someone sure strapped on a feedbag of adjectives for that one!"
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html

You're welcome
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

"The cold-air package and flow booster added 8.3 hp and 9.8 lb-ft at the tires on the otherwise-unmodified Vette. The entire setup is contained within the factory bodywork, so there's no cutting involved and no risk of water ingestion."

Those were the only #s I could find concerning the SLP claw.
That's probably b/c they're the only numbers that exist that show a supportable gain. AS for your gains, I've gotten 2 mph at the track from going a different day, even with "similar weather" (felt the same).
Old 01-31-2015, 11:32 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

That's probably b/c they're the only numbers that exist that show a supportable gain. AS for your gains, I've gotten 2 mph at the track from going a different day, even with "similar weather" (felt the same).
"Gave me a consistent 1.5 mph bump in the quarter"

That means no real changes in head or tail winds, DA or changes in track condition. Whether I was at Capital or Bud's creek, I was averaging 1.5 mph more in the quarter with the claw and cut-out in the radiator shroud. Every time out.

Get notified of new replies

To SLP cold air induction

Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

BnB: "Truth is where you find it!" BUT! According to weight/ET vs. HP calculations, the "Claw" would have to be good for about 14 HP in the quarter for a 1.5 mph increase (over 300 base hp vs. 314 hp) on a 3250# car; boosting it from a 104.9 mph vs. a 106.4 mph.*

*± approx 1 mph either side of the average, depending on other factors.

14 HP would be a pretty significant adder for a bolt-on air thingy, IF it is true. Locobob's results (on a LT5) was less that 2 hp over stock. Hmmm..... A long way from 14. So! Just sayin...

Last edited by Paul Workman; 02-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree that the "'claw" and an air foil are poor bang for the buck. You may not even notice a difference when using them.

However, the claw is a good low restriction air filter and there is some evidence of less pressure drop through it than stock. There is also some evidence of improved flow with an air foil. The documented hp gains are so small as to be within the margin of error in testing.

Are they worth it from a performance standpoint? No unless you get them really cheap. They probably help some, but not much.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:51 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

BnB: "Truth is where you find it!" BUT! According to weight/ET vs. HP calculations, the "Claw" would have to be good for about 14 HP in the quarter for a 1.5 mph increase (over 300 base hp vs. 314 hp) on a 3250# car; boosting it from a 104.9 mph vs. a 106.4 mph.*

*± approx 1 mph either side of the average, depending on other factors.

14 HP would be a pretty significant adder for a bolt-on air thingy, IF it is true. Locobob's results (on a LT5) was less that 2 hp over stock. Hmmm..... A long way from 14. So! Just sayin...
Your skepticism is invalid until you yourself buy a claw, cut a hole in your radiator shroud and take it to the track. Did Locobob cut the shroud? Did he take the car to the track before and after the intake switch? And if he did, were the conditions roughly the same ? BTW, my car wasn't stock. So your gonna have to re-due your #s there professor.

Seems like many on this forum are all talk and no action. Use the dyno for tuning purposes. Then take it to the track and get the real skinny. With any intake system that utilizes forced/cold air, the #s won't be realized until the car is in motion. Just ask those who use a Vararam. 10-12hp on a dyno but pick up over 2mph at the track.

Truth is where I find it? Consistent track data is where I found it. Where is your track data?

Quick Reply: SLP cold air induction