C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 exhaust manifold leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:17 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 exhaust manifold leak?

Is there a way of finding out if my manifold is leaking? I have a regular tap that's quite loud and in time with the engine, but its not there from start up, it only appears after about 5 minutes running from cold, I heard somewhere you could make the engine smoke temporarily to locate a leak by introducing something into the intake? is that right? BTW, its only got 71K on the engine and it runs clean and strong otherwise..
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I do not know about a test but I had a similar experience with my exhaust making a ticking sound on my old charger R/T. I tightened up the exhaust manifold bolts and one bolt was loose. I tightened up that bolt and the tapping went away. It sounded like a lifter but it went away after it warmed up. Good luck and let us know if it goes away.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:59 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first got my car the exhaust leaked. I took both manifolds off, inspected everything, put them back on with new gaskets. Still leaked. You can't see the manifold because it has a heat shield around it. I cut the shield off with it in the car and found a crack.
Ordered on off ebay. Before I put that one on I taped up the openings and put water in it. It leaked out behind the heat shield. (seller refunded my money right away).

Ended up getting shorty headers. I cut the heat shields off the other manifold that I didn't think was leaking and it was cracked too. So...I'm not very confident in LT1 exhaust manifolds.

I did seafoam the engine with the leaks and didn't see any smoke out of the one in the picture.
I think it would be most accurate to pump smoke through the tail pipes with the engine off.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I have heard you can use seamfoam to make it smoke and find a leak but I have neve tried it.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

You can use a piece of heater hose like a stethoscope. Just put one end up to your ear and move the other end around till you hear your tick.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 exhaust manifold leak?

Quick Reply: 94 exhaust manifold leak?