new radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 PM
rat123
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Default new radio

Hi
I'm thinking just to install a new radio. My 1984 corvette has the bose speakers with the amps and they sound great. What do I have to do to make it work with a new radio. Is there a radio that will work or do I have to hookup something between speaker and new radio
thanks
Old 01-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Mickey's67
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check for.....

Originally Posted by rat123
Hi
I'm thinking just to install a new radio. My 1984 corvette has the bose speakers with the amps and they sound great. What do I have to do to make it work with a new radio. Is there a radio that will work or do I have to hookup something between speaker and new radio
thanks
Make sure the new radio has pre-amp outputs for these speaker amp's that you want to re-cycle. These amps did not use the speaker output lines that come out of the new radio. Typically, pre-amp outputs will require a DIN style plug I do believe. With luck, the radio you are taking out, may already have utilized DIN connectors. If so, just plug into the new radio unit. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:02 PM
rat123
Pro

Hi
I still have the original radio. What radio would you recommend me to look into
thanks
Originally Posted by Mickey's67
Make sure the new radio has pre-amp outputs for these speaker amp's that you want to re-cycle. These amps did not use the speaker output lines that come out of the new radio. Typically, pre-amp outputs will require a DIN style plug I do believe. With luck, the radio you are taking out, may already have utilized DIN connectors. If so, just plug into the new radio unit. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

No din plug here. The amps will be looking for 4v if I recall.

If I were you I would send that out, or perhaps look on eBay for a 94-96 Camaro Bose CD deck. Direct swap.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:31 PM
rat123
Pro

I already bought a 1984 corvette radio for and it has problems and the company will not take it back so that's why I'm looking for new. Please can you give me new radio that will work
thanks
Originally Posted by DinoBob

If I were you I would send that out, or perhaps look on eBay for a 94-96 Camaro Bose CD deck. Direct swap.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:37 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Go to crutchfield.com. Put all the info for your car in and it will come up with a list of stereos that will fit, and they can supply any wiring adapters or mounts you may need as well. You don't have to buy anything from there but its a good tool you get you headed in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 PM
rat123
Pro

Thanks for the info. But why do some people say you need a scosche oem amplifier adapter
thanks
Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Go to crutchfield.com. Put all the info for your car in and it will come up with a list of stereos that will fit, and they can supply any wiring adapters or mounts you may need as well. You don't have to buy anything from there but its a good tool you get you headed in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Bob - does the fact you say "94-96" mean that ONLY '94 to 96 would work? I have an '01 S10 radio that looks just like those externally.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Hey, Bob - does the fact you say "94-96" mean that ONLY '94 to 96 would work? I have an '01 S10 radio that looks just like those externally.
I think the 94-96 have the right preamp voltage, where as your 01 is powered internally. You would also need a adapter because the plugs are different from 84-89 to 90-up.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I think the 94-96 have the right preamp voltage, where as your 01 is powered internally. You would also need a adapter because the plugs are different from 84-89 to 90-up.
Ah, I see. Thanks Pat. Those Camaro radios are running $150-200 on eBay. I'd be more likely to buy a new one instead, especially since I noted in another thread that it's probably not as prohibitive (time/frustration wise) as I thought to change to new all the way back.

Hm .. I better get my '03 and '01 radios on eBay to pay for my new system!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Ah, I see. Thanks Pat. Those Camaro radios are running $150-200 on eBay. I'd be more likely to buy a new one instead, especially since I noted in another thread that it's probably not as prohibitive (time/frustration wise) as I thought to change to new all the way back.

Hm .. I better get my '03 and '01 radios on eBay to pay for my new system!
i was just about to show a new thread with this radio saying it would fit our c4s and has a cd player....whats up is this real?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-car-audio-gps...dio/1037855468
Old 02-01-2015, 01:52 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

The 01 S10 radio, Bose or not, will not work, I am told. The radios in those cars depend upon the BCM. The 94-96 is the most common radio that will easily swap in and can provide CD as well.

There really IS no other radio made that fits easily/well with the Bose system. The amps are looking for a line-level input of 4V. There are some adapters I have heard, made by Scoche and a couple of others, but heard very mixed reviews on them.

The Bose speakers themselves are 1 ohm, so if you bypass the amps and connect direct to those, you will overtax and eventually cook the amp in your radio. Conventional radios are not mean to drive 1 Ohm speakers.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Edit: The link you attached IS the '94-96 Camaro Bose deck. Yes- it fits and fits well. You need an antenna adapter, I think, but that's all.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Y'know, I was just thinking. I saw a radio on eBay with an added jack to plug in a standard cord for iPod or the like. I doubt it would be that hard to put one in. Speaking for myself, I don't use the cassette and would not use a CD if I had an iPod jack.

Maybe the best thing to do with these radios is to pull them out and outfit them with an external jack instead of putting a new radio in to do essentially the same thing? If the quality is ok now, it should work fine for an iPod input...
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 AM
rat123
Pro

Hi
With the bose speakers with amps is there a radio I just can use the normal harness or do I have to hook it up another way. I'm new to the corvette. I own a 1984. I bought a used original radio but it has problems so All I want to do is hookup a new radio with the original bose speakers. The speakers sound great. I looked at crutchfield.com and there is a lot of radio's and will they all work with my bose. Can someone give me some models I should look at that will work with a normal harness
thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Y'know, I was just thinking. I saw a radio on eBay with an added jack to plug in a standard cord for iPod or the like. I doubt it would be that hard to put one in. Speaking for myself, I don't use the cassette and would not use a CD if I had an iPod jack.

Maybe the best thing to do with these radios is to pull them out and outfit them with an external jack instead of putting a new radio in to do essentially the same thing? If the quality is ok now, it should work fine for an iPod input...
pm sent
Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rat123
Hi
With the bose speakers with amps is there a radio I just can use the normal harness or do I have to hook it up another way. I'm new to the corvette. I own a 1984. I bought a used original radio but it has problems so All I want to do is hookup a new radio with the original bose speakers. The speakers sound great. I looked at crutchfield.com and there is a lot of radio's and will they all work with my bose. Can someone give me some models I should look at that will work with a normal harness
thanks

my understanding is that the bose speakers only work with the bose head unit, because of the amps at each speaker. . i get what u want to do, just dont think it works without also replacing the speakers.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 02-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
rat123
Pro

Hi
Why would crutchfield allow you to pick your car and it shows you the radio that will work and they won't work with a normal harness. I really don't want to replace everything and I do just want to have a aftermarket radio to work. There must be away of doing it
thanks

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
my understanding is that the bose speakers only work with the bose head unit, because of the amps at each speaker. . i get what u want to do, just dont think it works without also replacing the speakers.

Get notified of new replies

To new radio

Old 02-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
This bit of info may or my not help. I purchased my '85 3 years ago, and at some point in the past the Bose head was replaced with a factory, non-Bose Delco head unit with CD player, all hooked into the fully operational Bose system. CD player stop functioning last summer. I pulled the head unit out to retrieve the GM production number off the radio. The head unit in my '85, according to the production number, was originally out of a 1994 Buick Riviera.

Since I did not do the install, I do not have any info on how to wire the head unit into the Bose amplified system. Appears to have some sort of adapter wiring installed. This set up has worked flawlessly in the time I have owned the car.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Rat, I have explained why using a new radio with the original amps and speakers is a less than optimal solution at best. Again, some companies make adapters to wire regular amplified outputs to work with the Bose wiring. I have heard good and bad about these. Crutchfield cares about what physically will fit. They are not telling you what combination of pieces will work. Why not send the radio to Dr. Don for a look?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:00 PM
rat123
Pro

Hi
I was just trying to save some money by finding an adaptor first. Even if it only works for a few years. I just didn't want to change everything at this moment but it looks like I might have to
thanks
Rat, I have explained why using a new radio with the original amps and speakers is a less than optimal solution at best. Again, some companies make adapters to wire regular amplified outputs to work with the Bose wiring. I have heard good and bad about these. Crutchfield cares about what physically will fit. They are not telling you what combination of pieces will work. Why not send the radio to Dr. Don for a look?

Quick Reply: new radio