Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking Exhaust on a 95 coupe (I know another exhaust question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking Exhaust on a 95 coupe (I know another exhaust question)

I am thinking of getting a new exhaust for my car I have narrowed down my choices I think to the Corsa 14116 set or the Magnaflow performance exhaust 16837.

I have seen many post about magnaflow having drone problems and to for sure go with the Corsa. The magnaflow have a larger through pipe at 3" all the way from the cat back and the Corsa only has 2.5" I believe the stock is 3" from measuring it. I thought bigger was always better when it came to exhaust and I also like the look of the magnaflow better. Has anyone had any experience with this Magnaflow and can confirm that it still has drone? I have read on a other blogs that this particular magnaflow took care of the drone issue.

As always thanks in advance for a reply.

Art
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

heres a good example of what these sound like.

art
Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I have Allen's Chambered muffler eliminators. Sound great, and little to no drone. Seriously.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Agreed!! be very selective choosing your Mufflers on the C4 even top name "brands" have a nasty drone. Including your choices.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-04-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I went full custom single 3" Stainless exhaust
(Exotic Muscle Long Tubes to 3" Pypes Bullet cats custom 3" stainless to a 76mm remote mounted turbo to dual SLR Loudmouth II Mufflers out to Pypes quad tips). Sounds nice and real mild when cruising.

Please excuse the crappy cell video and camera shake

Last edited by Impala Balko; 02-04-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

A few will say that the magnaflow system is garbage, but I've had no issues with mine and it's been on the car for at least 6 years. It's hooked to a set of long tubes and sounds great IMO. I will say that the resonator design is not that great as it sits low, but I havn't had any issues with that even while the car is lowered.
One thing to note is the magnaflow system wont hook up directly to a set of long tubes if you ever decide to go that route so some custom exhaust work will be needed.

Those allen chambered muffler eliminators sound realllly good as well.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Thanks for the input, I had heard the magnaflow hung a little lower but I am not sure how much trouble that would be with my car being at stock height. Also Dubin do you have this exact magnaflow or the cheaper version?

Art
Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gimpsy
Thanks for the input, I had heard the magnaflow hung a little lower but I am not sure how much trouble that would be with my car being at stock height. Also Dubin do you have this exact magnaflow or the cheaper version?

Art
same exact system
Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

I love my Corsa system

Last edited by seijack; 02-05-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Kenabinkport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have magnaflows, I get quite a lot of drone on the highway, but not as much in town. Personally I am not thrilled with the tone of the mufflers and I plan on getting series 44 flow masters or some kind of borla mufflers. I have heard a few c4's with corsa and it sounded great, not nearly as much drone as the magnaflows. Good luck with your exhaust.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dubin4life
A few will say that the magnaflow system is garbage, but I've had no issues with mine and it's been on the car for at least 6 years. It's hooked to a set of long tubes and sounds great IMO. I will say that the resonator design is not that great as it sits low, but I havn't had any issues with that even while the car is lowered.
One thing to note is the magnaflow system wont hook up directly to a set of long tubes if you ever decide to go that route so some custom exhaust work will be needed.

Those allen chambered muffler eliminators sound realllly good as well.
I'll echo what he said. Great exhaust especially if you get it for the price. It is a 3" system and it has a very deep rumbly sound. It is not high pitched or raspy like some of the other systems. It has a very refined low tone to it. There is some drone when cruising around 70-75mph. I have a 6-speed so drone is minimal, if you have an auto I am sure it will drone pretty good once it kicks into OD.

With that said, I would only go for this exhaust if you can get it for a good price. There is a company on fleabay selling them that has a best offer option. I think I gave him an offer of $615 and he took it. I certainly wouldn't pay $950 for it. The Corsa is the better sounding system to me (Sound is subjective) but it also costs more, and isn't any better quality IMO. The Corsa will be much higher pitched, and a little more raspy/gnarly sounding think european V8. Magnaflow is certainly more muscle car sounding. The center resonator on the Magnaflow does hang a little low, but you won't have any clearance issues at all, I haven't and have been over some big speed bumps. I think dubin4life is lowered and even he hasn't had any scraping issues.

If you can only find the Magnaflow system for around $900 spend the extra and go with the Corsa if you want NO drone at all. Just know one of the outlets in the Corsa system is partially blocked (part of their drone suppression system) so if you don't consistently clean your exhaust tips one of the tips will be black while the other is still polished.

Muffler Eliminator-best exhaust for the money bar none. Can be obnoxious at times, and drone will be worse than any other system. Haven't heard the chambered elims but I imagine the chambered pipes help knock out some of the harshness. Will also be the most free flowing system.

Overall, the 16837 is a very solid system, this April will be 2 years I've had it. No complaints with quality or fitment. Still looks the same as the day I installed it. Cleans up well.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Torch,

That was the kind of response I was looking for, thanks. I will look on Ebay I purchased an exhaust off ebay once before and found out after install that it was a second and had splits in the bends.

I think I like the sound of the Magnaflow better than the corsa. It sounds to me like the corsa has that higher pitch to it almost like the new C7 sound when they pull away where as the magnaflow is deeper. I have magnaflows on my truck and like the sound on there. Is there anyway to lift up the center resonator? I am going to weld this up when I install it so I could modify if I needed to.

Art
Old 02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Torch,

That was the kind of response I was looking for, thanks. I will look on Ebay I purchased an exhaust off ebay once before and found out after install that it was a second and had splits in the bends.

I think I like the sound of the Magnaflow better than the corsa. It sounds to me like the corsa has that higher pitch to it almost like the new C7 sound when they pull away where as the magnaflow is deeper. I have magnaflows on my truck and like the sound on there. Is there anyway to lift up the center resonator? I am going to weld this up when I install it so I could modify if I needed to.

Art
Hey no worries. I think the company I bought it from was called hotexhaust or something along those lines, I know they are out of California.

I had Magnaflow on my old 318 Dodge and loved it so thought I would go with it again, and I like it. Quality piece and good tone. Unfortunately I don't believe there is anyway to tuck it up any further as the system is 3" and the resonator is quite big. It honestly doesn't hang THAT low. It doesn't hang much lower than my ZF6 trans. However, a few on here removed the resonator all together and said it sounds even better which is what I may end up doing. The system has a true x-pipe before it goes into the resonator, and then the resonator itself has an X-pipe built into it, so its kind of pointless to have two x-pipes in my opinion, even though the resonator's built in x-pipe is perforated with fiberglass packing to help kill drone. If you get rid of the resonator it will tuck up in there real nice. I would just install it first with the supplied clamps (which are really nice), if you like the way it sounds weld it all up. If you don't, ditch the resonator and then weld it all up.

Patrick
Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 AM
bill3730
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa

I am thinking of getting a new exhaust for my car I have narrowed down my choices I think to the Corsa 14116 set or the Magnaflow performance exhaust 16837.

I have seen many post about magnaflow having drone problems and to for sure go with the Corsa. The magnaflow have a larger through pipe at 3" all the way from the cat back and the Corsa only has 2.5" I believe the stock is 3" from measuring it. I thought bigger was always better when it came to exhaust and I also like the look of the magnaflow better. Has anyone had any experience with this Magnaflow and can confirm that it still has drone? I have read on a other blogs that this particular magnaflow took care of the drone issue.

As always thanks in advance for a reply.

Art

My Corsa is 4 yrs old and is the same as when installed. NO DRONE. Great sound. Also looks great. I think Magna flows have fiberglass in them. With age they will get louder and DRONE.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by bill3730
My Corsa is 4 yrs old and is the same as when installed. NO DRONE. Great sound. Also looks great. I think Magna flows have fiberglass in them. With age they will get louder and DRONE.
Let me offer a different alternative just for fun. I have owned C4 ZR-1s for 20 years and have experimented with half a dozen systems. Corsa is certainly the one with the least resonance and I had a Corsa system on both my 93 and 95 for most of my ownership. Also Marc Haibeck has done extensive dyno testing and (at least on ZR-1s) the Corsa provided the best power gains among aftermarket exhaust with little or no resonance (drone). And a nice loud sound, though as noted it is a little higher pitched than some other systems.

But now in my old age I have tired of all noise all the time and have gone back to my stock 95 exhaust with electric QTP cutouts. A really great setup. For the 7 hour drive to Bowling Green, I shut them and have a nice quiet ride. For around town fun I run with the cutouts partially open. When I want to race or simply scare children and small animals, wide open. According to our research and dyno testing, the 95 resonator is much less restrictive than earlier ones (same for regular C4 system); it is the mufflers that are the big restrictions in the stock exhaust system, costing about 10 HP. I put the cutouts right before the mufflers thereby preserving the spare tire carrier, and have a rocker switch hidden under the carpet within easy reach on the passenger side of the console. Not too expensive if you have someone reasonable do to a little welding for you. Anyway, just a thought. --Bob
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob

Let me offer a different alternative just for fun. I have owned C4 ZR-1s for 20 years and have experimented with half a dozen systems. Corsa is certainly the one with the least resonance and I had a Corsa system on both my 93 and 95 for most of my ownership. Also Marc Haibeck has done extensive dyno testing and (at least on ZR-1s) the Corsa provided the best power gains among aftermarket exhaust with little or no resonance (drone). And a nice loud sound, though as noted it is a little higher pitched than some other systems.

But now in my old age I have tired of all noise all the time and have gone back to my stock 95 exhaust with electric QTP cutouts. A really great setup. For the 7 hour drive to Bowling Green, I shut them and have a nice quiet ride. For around town fun I run with the cutouts partially open. When I want to race or simply scare children and small animals, wide open. According to our research and dyno testing, the 95 resonator is much less restrictive than earlier ones (same for regular C4 system); it is the mufflers that are the big restrictions in the stock exhaust system, costing about 10 HP. I put the cutouts right before the mufflers thereby preserving the spare tire carrier, and have a rocker switch hidden under the carpet within easy reach on the passenger side of the console. Not too expensive if you have someone reasonable do to a little welding for you. Anyway, just a thought. --Bob
Is your 95 a ZR-1? I'd love to hear it with the cutouts open.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

I went ahead and ordered the Magnaflow I got it from Summit who priced matched some other site for $625. When it arrived UPS Monday the box was trashed and the tips on both mufflers were bent so they need to send me a new one. When I finally get it installed I will post up pics and what I think. I like the idea of the bypass, if anything I may end up removing the magnaflow resonator and going straight through there but that might make it louder.

Art

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking Exhaust on a 95 coupe (I know another exhaust question)

Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Is your 95 a ZR-1? I'd love to hear it with the cutouts open.
Yes it is a ZR-1 and it does sounds very nice with them open. Sorry I don't have any sound clips. But the modification I mentioned would work with the standard C-4 also. --Bob
Old 04-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Hey no worries. I think the company I bought it from was called hotexhaust or something along those lines, I know they are out of California.
Kind of a old thread but hopefully you are still around. How long ago did you buy you're system? I don't see that seller but I am going to hit the sellers up one by one with a slightly higher offer than you're offer starting with the CA sellers. Hopefully I can get a deal also.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ron B C4
Kind of a old thread but hopefully you are still around. How long ago did you buy you're system? I don't see that seller but I am going to hit the sellers up one by one with a slightly higher offer than you're offer starting with the CA sellers. Hopefully I can get a deal also.
PMed you

Quick Reply: Thinking Exhaust on a 95 coupe (I know another exhaust question)