C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

FWIW -my opinion and 2-cents - 86-91 flowmaster front y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default FWIW -my opinion and 2-cents - 86-91 flowmaster front y-pipe

I'm installing a new exhaust on my 85, and thought I'd pass along, my opinion and 2-cents, on the 86-91 flowmaster, cat-less, front y-pipe. (note, stock photo - the RH flange plate is missing. it is with the supplied hardware package.)

the flowmaster is indeed stainless w/ mandrel bends. nice welds and overall, the quality looks very good. it comes with quality, stainless band clamps, vs standard muffler clamps. nice product - I give it . the y-pipe is a three piece unit. it should allow for more latitude and adjustment, vs. the solid one piece pipe.

the exhaust on my 85 is pretty much shot - it's made out of various, low cost, aftermarket parts that really don't fit well together. besides, it looks like crap!!! anyway, I'm going to install a new, front to back, stainless exhaust system, using some top-shelf parts from three different manufacturers - . I have installed a magnaflow-corsa system on my steel blue 90, without issues, so, we'll see what happens when I throw flowmaster into the mix. since the 85 does not have pre-cats, I was looking for a front y-pipe that was stainless, w/ mandrel bends. several stainless units out there, but everything I found had conventional bends. I also wanted to install a corsa cat-back system, and since the main cat's mounting flange is different, I'm somewhat forced into using an 86-91 style main cat. the flowmaster front y-pipe looks like it fit all my requirements. corsa does not make a direct fit 84-85 cat-back system - only for the 86 to 91 L98 corvette.

looking at my layout on the garage floor, I do not foresee any installation issues. I won't be using the flowmaster main cat since i'll be using a magnaflow super high flow main cat. the flowmaster to magnaflow connection looks like they were made for each other. I've used the magnaflow to corsa connection before, so I won't have an issue. I just need to secure a few nuts and bolts, a new O2 sensor, and a free weekend for installation. the only problem area is see is mounting a 86-91 rear hanger to the "C" support beam. I need drill a couple holes and i'll need to get under the car to see what's involved. I paid $210 (shipped), but hope to sell the main cat, and scrap my original exhaust and cat to recoup a couple bucks.

as I get into the installation, i'll post some pics, additional info, or any problem areas I run in to -

Last edited by Joe C; 02-13-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I just got the same thing this week, I am going to coat the outside with ceramic paint and maybe do the install next weekend. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I installed this on my 91. Front catless Y came from a Forum member and it did have both front flanges on it. Cat is a high flow Magnaflow. Front Y did not fit perfectly as I had to spend some quality sledge hammer time with it to get the driver's side to line up.
I had to go to a shop for the final adjustments to the rear Y with H pipe and Magnaflow high flow mufflers. They had the lift, welder and heavy duty tools that I did not have.
I have installed the same items on an 86 and an 87 in my garage before with no problems. Corvette Central must have changed the way they made these.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:58 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Looking forward to your progress. I'd like to ditch the pre cats on mine and get a high flow main cat also.

Get notified of new replies

To FWIW -my opinion and 2-cents - 86-91 flowmaster front y-pipe

Quick Reply: FWIW -my opinion and 2-cents - 86-91 flowmaster front y-pipe