C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2nd Opti gone Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The bypass hose from the "T" in the upper raditor hoses to the water pump. Before that I replaced all three raditor hoses for preventative maintenance. And that hose I could not find at the time.
Thanks, I think I will go the now Opti route when the sun finally decides to show itself again around here.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 AM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Do I see traces of coolant on the bottom of the cap???
Maybe, I knew the opti was bad when I took it out so I didn't spend alot of time keeping it dry. Just a little coolant comes out if the waterpump if you drain the block at the knock sensors.

Art
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 PM
gimpsy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to try and wrap up my post so here goes. I got the new opti installed and swapped out the check valve on the hose that comes out of the opti and goes to the intake. There were 2 on there that seemed to be working against themselves I looked in the FSM and didn't see anywhere where it talked about 2 of them so I just put a new one on. When I got it all back together the car was running much better but I still have my wandering miss or stumble that I am working to fix. I checked the vacuum on the hose that comes up to the intake and I have 20 in hg on it of manifold pressure.

I think what happened was that when the opti was swapped the first time by the previous owner they might have installed the check valves wrong but the hose was worn out below the check valve so it didn't cause the opti to implode. When I swapped the opti out I could see the hose was bad so I put new hose on and installed the check valves in the same way they came off thus causing the opti to implode under internal pressure. Funny it took it so long, so lessoned learned.

Now to find the miss or stumble problem and I will be happy.

Art
Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

thought I would add mine

Quick Reply: 2nd Opti gone Bad?